The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 6, 2015, 06:46 PM   #51
Don P

Quote:
Please cite all the times this has happened to you or anyone else.
It happened to me as I stated in post number 22 of this thread.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old July 8, 2015, 10:55 PM   #52
62coltnavy

"CA-DOJ does, indeed, maintain DROS info sent to the state is not registration"

Since the DROS has make model and serial number, date of sale, and ID of the purchaser, to say that his is not a "registration" is playing at semantics. And even if the DOJ doesn't call it "registration," I'd bet every cop in the sate does when the run the serial to see if it is "registered" to you. If the DOJ does not call it "registration," what then is it called?
Old July 9, 2015, 01:27 AM   #53
Librarian

CA-DOJ says
Quote:
How do I know if my firearms need to be registered?

There is no firearm registration requirement in California except for assault weapon owners and personal handgun importers.
http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs, question 26.

That same FAQ answer goes on to say
Quote:
If you purchased a handgun from a properly licensed California firearms dealer and underwent a background check via the state’s Dealer’s Record of Sale (DROS) process, a record of your handgun purchase is already on file with the Department. ...
(and as of 2014, also long guns - the FAQ has not been updated.)

It sounds like they are talking out of both sides of their collective mouth, but technically that pair of statements is not contradictory - it is legal to own and use an un-registered (in the sense of 'not known to the State of California') firearm. Long guns (except 'assault weapons') transferred prior to 2014 did not require 'paper'.

I agree that knowing the name and address of a gun buyer, and the make, model, serial number and caliber of the gun purchased, and having that information in their Automated Firearms System database, sure sounds like registration.

The California regime is missing some 'features' that I have heard apply in some other systems: it need not be renewed and there is no requirement to notify the DOJ of a change of address. As already noted, it is not a criminal offense to have an unregistered firearm.

So, perhaps, CA means to convey 'it isn't registration as oppressive as it could be'.

The FAQ page is here.