The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 26, 2020, 01:13 AM   #1
GeauxTide

RCBS Chargemaster Combo

Loaded my first rounds and I must say I'm very impressed. Upgraded from the Lyman 1200DPS. 1st and foremost, you plug the charge in, dispense, and when you put the empty tray back on the scale and it dispenses another load automatically. Emptying the powder was very simple. Turn the button on the right side 90 degrees and refill your powder can. After it's empty, hit the dispense button and the feed tube is emptied. A VERY worthwhile upgrade.
Old November 26, 2020, 02:29 AM   #2
hounddawg

Congrats , they are great units

You can change a couple of settings as shown in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD4-...ature=emb_logo and do the McDonalds straw mod shown here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4MLhukpFkE for even greater accuracy

also mine seems to want 30 minutes warmup before dispensing to get the best performance

great units, had mine for about ten years and it works as good as it did straight from the box
Old November 26, 2020, 09:52 AM   #3
noylj

Keep it from vibrations. Be sure it is fairly well leveled.
I keep my CM on a separate small table that I can move between presses.
Old November 26, 2020, 09:59 AM   #4
603Country

My Lyman 1200 DPS died, and I replaced it with the same unit as the OP did. Yep, it’s a great upgrade.
Old November 28, 2020, 01:16 PM   #5
RC20

Better yet is the Chargmaster Lite

No settings, no straw, just punch in the number and watch it go. Often spot on, no more than 1/10 low or high.

I think I got mine for 180.

Vastly better than the Lyman 6000 as well as the Hornady Auto Dispenser.

Only downside is the power button is easy to brush and turn it off when you don't want to. It sticks up from the front. I just turn is sideways a bit and avoids most of that.

Thinking about a guard.
Old November 28, 2020, 04:30 PM   #6
Paul B.

If your Chargemaster starts acting up, Fluorescent lights and affect accuracy as well as most, if not all current smart phones. My CM1500 started to get erratic slo I replaced it with a Chargemaster Lite. The CM1500 was a bit over ten years old so I made the switch. Guess what? The CM Lite was just a squirrelly. Doing a bit of research I learned about the lights and cell phones creating problems. I replaced the FL lights with LED fixtures and my loading area is brighter than it ever was with the old lights. I also left the smart phone in the house and now both the CM1500 and CM Lite work exactly like they're suppose to.
FWIW, That CM1500 worked just fine under the old lights until it didn't. So was it the lights or the phone? I dunno but it all works fine now.
Paul B.
Old November 30, 2020, 01:17 PM   #7
RC20

I will note on the CM Lite, grains sticking on the front plate are an annoyance .

There is a U shaped grove in front of the plate that is a hook for the plate cover.

The push to touch display is slightly recessed and grains stick in there.

But for simple out of the box requiring no parameter changes or straw insert, small footprint and the cost, it looks to be by far the best bang for the buck.
Old December 1, 2020, 03:02 PM   #8
Marco Califo

I just ordered the CM Combo $299.99 @ www.MidsouthShootersSupply.com .
It is a limited quantities Cyber Monday item. I successfully placed my order today, Tuesday.
You cant beat the 4.9 star rating.
Midsouth says that price is good until 12/10/20.

Last edited by Marco Califo; December 1, 2020 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Offer terms
Old December 2, 2020, 01:02 PM   #9
fan_of_flux

So, has any one tried the Matchmaster? It's a bit pricey!
Old December 2, 2020, 01:28 PM   #10
RC20

When a CM Lite does it to a tenth, that is nuts

I see the CCM Comb is the same as the lite.

I got my light for $180 on sale as I recall. Not sure I would buy it now at a $180 price. A bit more futzing and takes up a bit more bench space.
Old December 2, 2020, 05:10 PM   #11
hounddawg

I double check all my charges from the CM 1500 on my A&D . Since I tweaked those two parameters in the video I posted the majority of the charges are within .02 grains. I believe the regular CM circuitry senses to within .02 but it just displays down to .1

As far as that Matchmaster goes , if I wanted to spend that kind of money I would go with the A&D and a Autothrow V3. Everyone that owns one raves about them, never heard a bad word about them on any of the forums