The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 27, 2020, 07:22 PM   #1
Logs

Removing Spray Paint from a Shotgun

Picked up a nice shotgun, but I was hoping to remove the former owners paint job. Not sure the type of paint, but I have tried Brake Cleaner, Nail Polish Remover, and Paint Thinner and it is not cutting it. Plastic stock so I don't want to goof it up too bad.

Any Ideas???????

As a backup plan and I just repaint it. Anyone recommend a good stencils or paint kit so it looks a little more professional?

Thanks Logs.

Very little coming off.
Old October 27, 2020, 07:37 PM   #2
FITASC

I have seen folks use actual leaves placed on the stock and then fall colors used....
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 27, 2020, 08:51 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

"MOST" (note the "most") plastic parts used on modern guns are pretty solvent resistant.
Most plastic stocks are a fiber reinforced nylon blend that lacquer thinner won't harm.

Much depends on what type of paint was used, but in all likelihood it's some sort of cheap spray can paint. Those are usually not very durable and are attacked by many solvents.

I'd recommend getting a can of ordinary lacquer thinner and take the gun OUTSIDE..... lacquer thinner is explosively flammable and any spark or pilot light can cause a WHOOMPH.

Test it on a hidden area of the stock to see if it attacks the paint, and if it attacks the stock.
If it begins to attack the paint but not the stock, just use it to remove all the paint, working on it with a stiff solvent proof brush to speed it up.
In most cases you'll find the lacquer thinner will remove the paint and not harm the stock.

If it does attack the plastic, hit a big paint store and ask for a paint remover that's plastic-safe.
Old October 27, 2020, 09:27 PM   #4
wbbh

I bought a Browning BPS shotgun that was painted like that, I used Brake Cleaner, number 4 steel wool, old tooth brushes and a brass brush.
Old October 28, 2020, 01:04 AM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

Try Zip-Strip or Citri-strip (non toxic though the strong orange smell gives me a headache the toxic fume ones never did...)

Not sure if they will eat a plastic stock, or not, but they won't hurt the metal (or wood).
Old October 28, 2020, 08:22 AM   #6
Logs

Just tried the Citri-Strip on barrel and after 15 min it is really starting to come off nicely. Will test the stock later today. Thank You.
Old October 29, 2020, 09:09 PM   #7
10-96

I know the cure has already been found, but it just occurred to me to try brake fluid one of these days- on purpose. I know it does a dandy job of taking paint off of my old CJ5's firewall, I just don't know how long it takes.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old October 29, 2020, 09:32 PM   #8
FITASC

It also works well for cleaning the inside of the barrels
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 30, 2020, 08:28 AM   #9
Logs

I got most of the paint off. I can't get the paint out rough parts. Citri-Strip, Brake Cleaner, Rubbing Alcohol, Nail Polish Remover, and Dawn Soap have all been tried. I did strip off the paint on the trigger guard, but that is not a big deal for me. Barrel and Receiver look great.

AFTER Two days of work..............

My Before.................................

Old October 30, 2020, 09:51 AM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I would say it looks 1000% better in the "after" photo.
Jeepaholic
Old October 30, 2020, 09:53 AM   #11
CowTowner

^ I'd have to agree
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old October 30, 2020, 01:34 PM   #12
T. O'Heir

"...Brake Cleaner, Rubbing Alcohol, Nail Polish Remover, and Dawn Soap..." Those products don't strip paint. They're mostly degreasers. The Citri-Strip should have done something though. I'd suggest E-Z Off but it'd likely eat plastic/synthetics. Takes carbon off steel PDQ though. Used it on FAL gas plugs years ago. Had them on a thickly painted wood railing and the paint was lifted in seconds.
"...paint on the trigger guard..." Trigger guard plastic or Al?
"...the paint out rough parts..." That being the 'pebbled' grip parts? Got a bench grinder? Try a light touch with a brass wire wheel. Same wheel in a rotary tool works.
Old October 30, 2020, 05:18 PM   #13
Logs

Trigger is Aluminum

Yes, the stippled looking parts are still brown. I will try brass brush thanks for the tip.
Old October 31, 2020, 02:39 PM   #14
FrankenMauser

The stippled/checkered areas can probably be cleaned with toothpicks and/or a dental scaler.
I've done it before. Tedious, but worth it if you don't want to repaint.

On wood stocks, it is more work. But on plastic fantastic, the paint usually isn't well adhered there; and prior use of stripper has probably compromised it further.
Old October 31, 2020, 04:24 PM   #15
stagpanther

Is that a versamax? I worked on one recently and I thought it was pretty BU in the stock black/grey--I would be tempted to paint it too if I had one though maybe not the barrel. Can't say I blame the former owner.
Old November 5, 2020, 10:22 PM   #16
langenc

My wife might recommend Goo be gone.. I dont believe it will harm stock.

Might call the gun maker and ask them what to use on the stock w/ out damaging it.
Old November 6, 2020, 10:19 AM   #17
Logs

It's a Remington, so not sure anyone is working the phones with the bankruptcy. I'll give goo be gone a shot.
Old November 6, 2020, 11:54 AM   #18
FITASC

Quote:
My wife might recommend Goo be gone.. I dont believe it will harm stock.

Might call the gun maker and ask them what to use on the stock w/ out damaging it.
Use Goo Gone OUTSIDE; the chemicals used are toxic and cause serious issues if inhaled
Old November 6, 2020, 02:59 PM   #19
Bill DeShivs

Goo Gone uses citrus oil as the main ingredient. We use it indoors all the time.
You could mask off the stippled area and give it a shot of black spray paint, or use the same stripper that was effective, and scrub the area with an old toothbrush.