The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 23, 2020, 02:40 PM   #1
Georgian

Help with Brownells Retro Scope 4X20

Hey yall. I recently purchased one of the Brownells Retro AR scopes for my A1 build rifle (Fulton Armory pencil upper with 1x8 Criterion barrel, chrome lined). I had a little bit of difficulty getting it zeroed, as the adjustment knobs seem to be half or 1/4 moa per movement, but the literature provided specifies each movement is 1" at 100 yards.

So I got the scope zeroed as well as I could, best group at 100 yards was about 1.5"-2" shooting IMI M193. Is that acceptable for what this scope was designed for or should my groups be tighter (again this may be me, as the rifle was not sandbagged in a rest, just a hasty rest on my range bag)? After zeroing at 100, I confirmed the BDC drum all the way to 500. I could see the hits on steel at 300 and 400 and they appeared to be POA/POI.

Another conundrum for me was setting the eye piece. The instruction advised to loosen the ring to the left until the image becomes blurry and then refocus to the right until the picture is clear again and tighten the lock ring. The scope was clear for me no matter what I did, so I left it screwed all the way in.

I am just seeking advise as what to expect with this scope and if I am using it properly and to it's potential. Any input would be greatly appreciated

God Bless
Old October 23, 2020, 06:34 PM   #2
2damnold4this

I'm not familiar with the scope but getting groups from an inch and a half to two inches with m193 ball isn't bad.
Old October 23, 2020, 08:50 PM   #3
ocharry

I would think the focus would be to focus the reticle so it is sharp and crisp....not so much the scope

Look at a blank white wall or the sky and get the reticle sharp for your eye and then lock it down

My .02

Ocharry