The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 15, 2020, 08:09 PM   #1
smichaelf

Buckmark pistol

I just bought a new.Buckmark pistol and it is very difcicult to chamber a round when the hammer is.down. Is there any way to correct this? I am not a novic and have shot all calibers but never encountered a more more difficult slide to operate. Any cures? Thanks
Old November 15, 2020, 08:16 PM   #2
dahermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by smichaelf View Post
I just bought a new.Buckmark pistol and it is very difcicult to chamber a round when the hammer is.down. Is there any way to correct this? I am not a novic and have shot all calibers but never encountered a more more difficult slide to operate. Any cures? Thanks
I have a Buckmark and agree that it is a little hard to work the slide when compared to other .22 autos I have owned. However, I have arthritis in my hands and old (77) but still can manage the slide, albeit with some difficulty. I should think that a man with no physical limitation would not have much trouble with it though.

When it comes to working the action on autos, I think the worst one was a 9mm Luger I onced owned.
Old November 15, 2020, 08:17 PM   #3
krunchnik

No cures-as pulling the slide back cocks the internal hammer-no other ways to circumvent the process.
Old November 15, 2020, 08:22 PM   #4
mikejonestkd

The only way for the hammer to be down is if you are dry firing the buckmark. Please do not dryfire a buckmark as you'll peen the chamber face on the barrel.
Old November 15, 2020, 08:42 PM   #5
LeverGunFan

Use a plastic snap cap if you want to drop the hammer; Browning states in the owners manual that dry firing may damage the Buck Mark.
Old November 16, 2020, 11:32 AM   #6
jsust

They are tough by nature. You can buy a clamp on charging handle that grips the serrations. That's one option
Old November 16, 2020, 12:08 PM   #7
TX Nimrod

As above, don’t dry fire a Buckmark. The OP’s very common complaint’s solution is here:

https://www.opticsplanet.com/tandemk...ging-ring.html

.22LR - .223 - .22-250 - .243 - 6mm REM - .25-20 - .25-35 - .25 BB - .250/3000 - .257 WBY - .260 - .30 M1 - .300 BO - .30 Herrett - .300 Savage - .32 H&R - .303 - .338-06 - .338 WM - .35 REM - .38-55 - .45 LC - .45-70 - .50-70
Old November 16, 2020, 02:33 PM   #8
Swampduck

Interesting solution to a problem I didn’t know existed. Have t had a hard time charging my buck mark. Flipping the safety off with my thumb has been more challenging due to the newness of the pistol and the arc of the throw relative to my grip.

Arthritis is arriving early in my abused hands though. Maybe I should pick this up in preparation for the impending pain?

C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old November 16, 2020, 10:42 PM   #9
DMY

There is a device called a halo charging ring from Tandemkross which attaches to the rear slide secretions and has a ring to pull to rack the slide.
Old November 17, 2020, 02:05 AM   #10
jmstr

My buckmark is from '96, before they had 'ears' added to the slide to help rack them.

Tandemkross makes great stuff, and it has two advantages- you can install it, and you can return the pistol to 'normal' if you don't like it.

I went a different route, with Striplin's Buckmark Slide Racker.

My buckmark will never be a holstered carry pistol, but a fun range/field gun from a table/tailgate.

As such, this system, which requires milling of slide and drilling/tapping/bolting on, was a great fit for my needs. And, I don't worry about it slipping off the end.

However, this is NOT for anyone who wants to holster a buckmark.
Old November 17, 2020, 01:41 PM   #11
T. O'Heir

The Buckmark is an entry level, rimfire, pistol. Why do you think you need a rimfire pistol that's loaded with the "striker" down? Just curious.
Sounds like you're looking for a cure for something that isn't sick.
Old November 17, 2020, 07:50 PM   #12
jmstr

Quote:
The Buckmark is an entry level, rimfire, pistol. Why do you think you need a rimfire pistol that's loaded with the "striker" down? Just curious.
Sounds like you're looking for a cure for something that isn't sick.
Could be.

I took it to refer to the initial pull back of the slide when first loading at the range.

When I use mine and I am about done, I fire until empty, and then I remove the slide, let slide go forward, pull it back about .005" and pull the trigger to drop the hammer, where the firing pin cannot strike the chamber face.

Then I leave it hammer down on an empty chamber.

I don't want to leave it cocked for 6 months or more, on an empty chamber.

This requires me to pull the slide back while cocking the hammer for the first shot.

Or, for clearing a misfire [which happens more with my bulk 22 ammo than any of my centerfire ammo].

I didn't assume he was trying to dry-fire repeatedly, but just having a stiff slide in these normal function issues.

It is an entry level rimfire, from a price point of view.

However, I think this entry level rimfire has a better trigger and more potential accuracy, from my experiences, than about any other new 22 semi-auto under $700.

I could go on with comparisons to other new .22 handguns under $1000, but that would clutter the thread.

The Buckmark punches above its' weight class, when looking at it financially.
But it isn't a Pardini, or Walther, or High Standard, or S&W Model 41. It is more affordable, and more useful with a wider variety of .22lr loads.

You can use standard or high velocity 22lr ammo [no Hyper-vel: no stingers or faster] in the buckmark, but shouldn't use anything above SV ammo speeds in High Standards or Model 41- or probably Pardini, etc.

Of course, SV gives more accuracy- but it may be harder to source.

It may be entry-level, but it is a well crafted firearm that is a descendant of the Browning Medalist, which was influenced by Colt Woodsman- thus, this pistol has a great pedigree as well: it is just economical.

If you can afford to buy a better gun- go for it. Yet, until you get to around $1100 new, or around $700 used, you won't find much that is what I deem a significant improvement: and it took me 20 years before I could move up from Buckmark to High Standard pistols due to income.

I say- enjoy the heck out of this entry-level pistol and buy a lot of ammo with the price difference.
Old November 17, 2020, 11:51 PM   #13
sigarms228

This video may help.

https://youtu.be/Al2rMXpw6c0