The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 12, 2020, 02:30 PM   #26
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl the Floor Walker View Post
I thought the 327 would be a nice gun to go along with my 22 and 9mm. That is until I shot one. My Gosh the 327 is loud. I mean loud. It would IMO blow out a ear drum if you had to use it especially indoors without protection. Plus ammo expensive and hard to find. I love the 9mm. I can shoot it often and cheaply. (pre-virus days). Shooting for fun and frequently is a big benefit of the Snubbie. The only way I would get the 327 is to have the 9mm for range work and only carry the 327 with 32 cal Hr in it. Not sure that is worth it to me,
Recoil in the 9mm is this side of pleasant before going harsh. Easy to shoot 2-300 rds per session.
I think if it was just 6 rds I wanted, I would try the new Taurus. I have never owned one, but have shot them at the Club I belong to. Nice little guns.
It is loud but so is .357 magnum. The real benefits of .327 Federal are decent power levels with more manageable recoil than .357 magnum, the option of going down to any of shorter thirty-twos, and having a pocket-sized six-shooter.

That third benefit is pretty solid on its own. If it means taking advantage of the second benefit and using .32 H&R Magnum, why wouldn't it be worth it? There are lots of people who carry an LCR or other small revolver in .38 special. I think .32 H&R Magnum is similar enough to .38 special in downrange effect. The difference between five and six rounds feels significant.

I don't know the Taurus model in question but does it ride as well as the LCR in a pocket holster? Does it feel as good to shoot? Is the trigger as nice? These are all things that make the LCR great.
Old November 12, 2020, 02:37 PM   #27
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
When Ruger pulls their head out of the dark hole and makes a 3” LCRX in .327 Mag then I’m getting on board the train. I just like the fact it carries six rounds in such an easily carried size with a perfectly viable SD round.
I agree. Having shot a lot of .327 now in various guns, I'd love to see a 3" LCRX in .327 Federal. That's a great size for a lot of circumstances and they've already developed the magnum frame in that size. They just seem to be taking their sweet time. I don't want to speculate on the reasons but you can always shoot them an email and express interest.
Old November 12, 2020, 09:01 PM   #28
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmodragoon View Post
It is loud but so is .357 magnum. The real benefits of .327 Federal are decent power levels with more manageable recoil than .357 magnum, the option of going down to any of shorter thirty-twos, and having a pocket-sized six-shooter.

That third benefit is pretty solid on its own. If it means taking advantage of the second benefit and using .32 H&R Magnum, why wouldn't it be worth it? There are lots of people who carry an LCR or other small revolver in .38 special. I think .32 H&R Magnum is similar enough to .38 special in downrange effect. The difference between five and six rounds feels significant.

I don't know the Taurus model in question but does it ride as well as the LCR in a pocket holster? Does it feel as good to shoot? Is the trigger as nice? These are all things that make the LCR great.
It is loud but so is the 357? Yea but I would not shoot the 357 either in a light weight snubbie. That comparison fails for me. Not to mention I do not want the recoil of the 357 (and I am not recoil sensitive)

Yes, If I did get the .327 I would shoot the 32 Mag H&R. but again, I am assuming you reload as cost and availability is ridiculous and Like most guns but especially the short barrel guns you have to shoot them on a regular basis to keep up required skills.
If I cannot shoot a gun for 200-300 rds per session, because of cost or recoil, I am just not interested. 7
I do have a Smith 642 which I love and love the light weight, but love he ballistics of the 9mm much more and again, th 9mm a easy gun for me to shoot. And combine that with the 22.cal LCR, I can get reasonable training through out the month while also shooting my other Carry guns as well.
When I shot the Taurus the trigger was not as great as the LCR, but not bad. The only problem I had was the fact that it has a exposed hammer. The gun shot well and I would prefer shooting 38 rather than 32 HR.
It is possible in the future I do get the 327. but only because I have the 22.cal and the 9mm I could use for range time. But just for the heck of it, may get the Taurus IF I want 6 rds that bad. And I do like the light weight of the gun. .
Hopefully in the future 32 Mag will be available in low cost, but that I believe is a dream. Not intentionally knocking the 327, but for the sake of debate, it just does not cut it for me.
That said, If you are sold on the 327 and can find during normal times to shoot it with abundant ammo in 32 than you have a fine gun. A fine gun no matter what the caliber.

(of Couse, I think it is possible to Get the 327, shoot 32HR if you have a LCR22 to go along with it for training. And as I said, the LCR22 is my favorite Trainer/Plinker. *8 rounds and a whole lot of fun. It has really come through for me with the Virus as I have a huge stash of 22.cal. Also bought a LCP22 to keep up with my small barrel skills.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; November 12, 2020 at 09:16 PM.
Old November 13, 2020, 03:43 AM   #29
Cosmodragoon

Carl, I don't care for .357 magnum in this class of handguns either. That has more to do with felt recoil, enjoyable practice, etc. Sound is a factor but sound is always a factor when shooting, especially with smaller guns. It's not that big of a deal with my regular hearing protection. In the possible defensive encounter I hope to never have, I'm willing to accept the sonic difference between 9mm and .327 Federal in cases where it makes sense.

I sometimes carry 9mm in a compact semi-auto. For me, the carry choice depends on what I'm wearing, what I'm doing, where I am, etc. I like to carry the most gun that I comfortably can. If a full-sized semi-auto makes sense, I'm happy to carry one. If I have to step down to a compact, that's fine. When that's too big, I skip subcompact and go with the LCR.

When the LCR is my platform, the difference between five and six feels huge. Getting a little more pep than 9mm or .38 special from that short barrel with less recoil than .357 magnum seems like a good deal. I've found the 85-grain loads to feel the best in the LCR and they offer enough pep to satisfy me.

Yeah, ammo is expensive. It's also hard to find lately. Coincidentally, I've had situations both recently and in previous panics where 9mm is nowhere to be found but there are a few boxes of some kind of thirty-two on the shelf. It's hard to predict.

Of course, I don't shoot as much as I used to. I just do what I can to stay proficient across the rotation of guns I tend to carry. That's usually a combination of happy plinking to aerate my recycling at distance and getting rounds "center mass" during annoying drills.