The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 24, 2020, 08:22 PM   #1
TheCanuckCowboy

Mossberg 590a1 rough action

Hello everyone I’m just looking for some input, I just had my new 590a1 arrive and love everything about it! but the action is a rough, it cycles fine but gritty (even aver full tear down and cleaning and oil) When unloaded. but with shells in the tube Unless you work the action with speed, it seems to bind up Moving the slide rearward when the bolt is about a little more than a inch from lockup, not enough that you can’t brace it against something and force it to cycle but it’s a expensive gun for me and I don’t want to do damage. I’m wondering could this have something to do with the shell interrupter As it seems to cycle fine without it? Is this something that a few hundred rounds down range will fix or kill? I’ve had a Mossberg 500 that didn’t seem to have this issue but I bought it used and god knows how many rounds went through it! Am I babying it too much or is this cause for concern. Thanks!

Last edited by TheCanuckCowboy; September 24, 2020 at 08:30 PM.
Old September 24, 2020, 09:32 PM   #2
51cskipper

Cowboy, the same thing happened to me on a brand new 590A1
Also, I can't get more than 4 rounds in the magazine without screwing up the action.
Certainly not what I expected with a new shotgun. I probably should send it back, but I just didn't' want to go through the trouble.
Old September 25, 2020, 08:41 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

Something that may help it is to use a grease on key working parts to smooth operation.

Sometimes a new gun just needs to be used to smooth it up.
Try just sitting on the couch and operate the gun a hundred times or more and see if it starts to smooth up.
You won't damage it by using a slightly harder force to operate it, but if something just feels "wrong" there may be a problem, so contact Mossberg about how to send it back for warranty repair.
They should send you a shipping label or pickup so you don't have to pay shipping.
Old September 26, 2020, 01:01 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

"...a few hundred rounds down range will..." Won't do anything either way.
Which model you have matters a bit. Like Dfariswheel says, lightly grease the moving parts and oil the rest. If it has a phosphated finish, some times known as Parkerizing which is close but not the same thing, oil that. It feels kind of rough when it's new.
Old September 27, 2020, 04:39 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'd love to take it apart to see for myself. Go w/Dfarishwheel's advice.

If it does it when it's empty, it's not a feeding issue.