The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 12, 2017, 08:01 PM   #1
4V50 Gary
Staff

Shooting sticks

I'm teaching a muzzle loading rifle class and part of the program calls for instructing the students in using shooting sticks. Well, it's confessional time.

My area of research is in the French & Indian War, American Revolution and most recently the War of 1812. I have read a number of books about the Fur Trade Era (the late one across the Great Plains & the Rockies) but never had an interest in the heavier Hawkins rifles like I have for the flintlocks.

Anyway, the class call for me to have cross sticks for the students to use and this was not something Daniel Boone, Lewis Wetzel, Simon Kenton, Samuel Baker, Daniel Morgan, Tim Murphy or Davy Crockett used. I never saw a need as none of my smoke poles were super heavy. Besides, I can always use a bench. My lack of interest in cross sticks meant I never bothered making them, until today. Not wanting to crack open any books, and finding the book with the instructions would take some effort since I'm long past the time when another huge bookcase must be built (preferably 4 feet tall by 8 feet long and 2-3 feet wide) so books can be reorganized instead of stacked in front of other bookcases, I went to U-tube.

Here's a video that makes it childishly simple so even me and my ten thumbs can follow the instructions:

https://youtu.be/cN5FSYJvP9k
Old July 12, 2017, 09:47 PM   #2
sltm1

Actually, a walking stick with a modified "V" in the handle would probably be a more accurate rendition of a period correct shooting stick.
Old July 12, 2017, 10:31 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

It's what the En-R-A wants us to teach.
Old July 12, 2017, 11:38 PM   #4
Water-Man

http://www.purdygear.com/Acclongrange.html
These are pretty good but not cheap.
Old July 13, 2017, 09:59 AM   #5
drobs

That guy needs a tripod for his camera.
Old July 13, 2017, 10:58 AM   #6
Pahoo

Just leaned a very useful knot.

Gary,
Infesting post as I just leaned how to make/tie a new knot that would have a variety of applications. I have made a number of shooting sticks and mostly used leather. One point about the dowels is that most of what we see in the stores, is Secondary Asian hardwood. Shooting sticks also serve as Walking sticks and need to take a beating. I have made mine out of straight grain Hickory, Ash and White-Oak. I was even lucky enough to find a couple of Hedge limbs. I have used the in the field for M/L and modern rifles. I prefer the dual legs as oppose to the single with the rest, on top. ......

Thanks for the link and;
Be Safe !!!
Old July 13, 2017, 03:33 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

Today I demonstrated how to use the sticks to my students. Then I let them have at it. There were three pairs I made in the manner of the posted video. There was another instructor's "redneck" version made with baling wire and one with a nut and bolt arrangement. The students were encouraged to try all three types. Afterward, we were done but remained on the range to experiment and have fun. They played with the beer can mortar too and finally we cleaned everything.

I showed them how to clean it the old fashion way with patches and moose milk, another with a coffee can filled with soapy water and jag (pump action) and with an immersible pump. Before dismissing the class, I asked for feedback on the sticks and they unanimously preferred the leather bound ones I made. When asked why, they responded that it was adjustable.
Old July 13, 2017, 04:00 PM   #8
Old Stony

I saw several nice cross sticks at C. Sharps company while passing through Montana the other day. I'm getting too old to get back up off the ground, so I passed on one. I wish I had taken pic's as they were simple but efficient looking.
Old July 13, 2017, 04:30 PM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

They are fancier than my humble efforts.
Old July 13, 2017, 06:12 PM   #10
Old Stony

That's one !...they don't look too difficult really. I liked the way they did the pivot point.
Old July 14, 2017, 12:36 PM   #11
reinert

I have a set I made from two 3/8" oak dowels, 36 inches long (Home Depot). Went through the whole pile to find the straightest, and best grained sticks in the bunch. Whittled points on the ends for the ground set, and rounded off the tops to tap with the palm of my hand to set the sticks to make a shot.

For the connector, I cut a piece of thick leather approx. an inch and a half long, by 3/4" wide and cut two slots for the dowels to tightly fit through, and spaced appropriately. They work quite well, are very light and trim enough so I can pack them running alongside of my long rifle comfortably in the hand while on the move. If the leather wears loose through usage, just twist the sticks around once or twice to "wring" the leather to tighten them up.

Using this method, I've found you can easily adjust them by sliding them through the leather where you need them to make a comfortable position for a shot. These are very cheap to make, primitive enough for the purist, and work quite well (IMO). I also made a set using 1/2" dowels, but found they weren't near as handy for my use. I gave them to a friend who found he likes the heftier ones. Gotta say, though, that is a pretty cool knot shown in the video!