The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 18, 2019, 11:30 AM   #1
Brownstone322

Help Me With My Next Purchase

I never thought I'd be starting one of these "What should I buy?" threads, but ... here ... I ... am. So my next semi-auto handgun is going to be this:

• 9mm
• Polymer-framed
• Striker-fired
• "Hybrid" size, meaning a compact-length barrel (typically 4-inch) with a full-length grip (typically 17 rounds) -- what Glock calls a "crossover"
• For range use and home defense (not for carry)
• Aftermarket accessories not crucial

Until recently, I was sure it'd be a Glock 45, which I very much like. Before that, I was sure it'd be a Glock 19X, but the G45 has since supplanted that idea. HOWEVER ...

I already own 9mm Glocks, and while there are some excellent arguments for remaining in a single ecosystem, I happen to view shooting as a fun hobby. To that end, I have a variety of handguns (polymer, all-metal, SA, DA/SA, hammer-fired, striker-fired, full-size, mid-size, hybrid size) for that very reason -- because shooting different types and sizes of firearms is fun (to me, anyway).

So, as you probably know, there are some alternatives to the Glock 45. The FN 509, the H&K VP9 and the SIG P320 Carry come to mind. Maybe more. I'm open to opinions.

DISCLAIMER: Please refrain from:

• "Why do you want a shorter barrel on a longer frame?"
• "What you really need is an all-metal gun."
• "You'd be better off with [.40 or .357 SIG or .45 Auto or 10mm or a wheelgun]."
• "Have you considered [something that otherwise ignores the criteria I outlined above]?"

Please have at it.
Old June 18, 2019, 11:37 AM   #2
CDR_Glock

The FN509 has had some safety issues causes some police departments to abandon it.

Apart from the Glock 45 listed, the VP9 is amazing. The P320 allows you to change frames easily and even convert it to a pistol caliber Carbine.

CZ has a few excellent polymer pistols that are good shooters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old June 18, 2019, 11:41 AM   #3
gbclarkson

There are a lot of options to meet your criteria. Look at Springfield's XD line up, S&W M&P series, Ruger has a few choices, Walther, Beretta APX, CZ P-10, you may like a Steyr...

Happy searching
Old June 18, 2019, 11:43 AM   #4
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownstone322 View Post
I never thought I'd be starting one of these "What should I buy?" threads, but ... here ... I ... am. So my next semi-auto handgun is going to be this:

• 9mm
• Polymer-framed
• Striker-fired
• "Hybrid" size, meaning a compact-length barrel (typically 4-inch) with a full-length grip (typically 17 rounds) -- what Glock calls a "crossover"

Until recently, I was sure it'd be a Glock 45, which I very much like. Before that, I was sure it'd be a Glock 19X, but the G45 has since supplanted that idea. HOWEVER ...

I already own 9mm Glocks, and while there are some excellent arguments for remaining in a single ecosystem, I happen to view shooting as a fun hobby. To that end, I have a variety of handguns (polymer, all-metal, SA, DA/SA, hammer-fired, striker-fired, full-size, mid-size, hybrid size) for that very reason -- because shooting different types and sizes of firearms is fun (to me, anyway).

Please have at it.
Springfield makes some of their XDM-s in that format. (Compact slide, proportionately long grip.) Let's see.....right here: XD-M® 3.8″ Full Size 9mm
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old June 18, 2019, 12:22 PM   #5
odugrad

Walther PPQ M2 is my recommendation.
Old June 18, 2019, 12:30 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

Got a budget in mind?
Other than that, the only question that comes to mind is, "Considering you have a bunch of handguns now, why do you think you need another specifically for "range use and home defense"?" And "I want one." is a reason.
Old June 18, 2019, 12:42 PM   #7
Brownstone322

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
Got a budget in mind?
Fair question, and I originally thought $500 to $600 was implied by the way I framed the topic. But I get it: There are upgraded pieces in this category (such as the FN 509 Tactical) that list for more than a grand, and I'm not in that market. I'm looking for a basic model.

Quote:
Other than that, the only question that comes to mind is, "Considering you have a bunch of handguns now, why do you think you need another specifically for "range use and home defense"?" And "I want one." is a reason.
'Cause I think guns are cool, and I always want more.
Old June 18, 2019, 02:38 PM   #8
Fishbed77

Quote:
• 9mm
• Polymer-framed
• Striker-fired
The Walther P99AS seems to fit the bill, with a 4" barrel, full-size grip (16 rounds with the flush-fit mags now available from Walther/Mec-Gar), and what may be one of the best trigger systems available for the home-defense role.
Old June 18, 2019, 02:44 PM   #9
precision_shooter

Glock 45 was going to be my first suggestion, love mine.
Sig P320 maybe?
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old June 18, 2019, 02:56 PM   #10
IdaD

I think the 2.0 M&P's are objectively every bit as good as Glocks, and I subjectively like them better. So, a 2.0 Compact. It has awesome ergos, you can pick the backstrap size you like, the trigger is really nice, the grip texture is outstanding, it has good steel sights, it comes with 15 round mags but has sleeves to run 17 round mags if you prefer, and it's that midsize sweet spot that fills most roles very well. It's a little bigger than I want for EDC so while I carry mine some, I tend to use it more in my truck, out camping, in my backpack, etc. Great all around handgun.

I paid about $360 for mine out the door (in 9mm), and you can get them for $400 all day from a lot of places online.
Old June 18, 2019, 02:57 PM   #11
Longhorn1986

"The FN509 has had some safety issues causes some police departments to abandon it."

I have not heard of a single safety issue with the FN 509 and have thoroughly researched the pistol. I have owned one since 12/2017 and have put many, many rounds through it without a single hiccup.

My wife's Sig P320 did have the safety recall, which was a minor inconvenience. The pistol was returned to her within two weeks of sending it.

As someone who actually shoots both the 509 and 320 with regularity, I would not hesitate to recommend either pistol, along with the Walther PPQ, which in my opinion, has the best trigger of any striker pistol, bar none.

Of course, your mileage may vary.......
Old June 18, 2019, 05:38 PM   #12
mr bolo

since you already own 9mm Glocks, and you enjoy having a variety of handguns for fun, I would try out the H&K VP9 or the FN 509

I would probably go with the Heckler & Koch VP9 , get something different, it's part of the fun.
Old June 18, 2019, 10:56 PM   #13
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownstone322:
I already own 9mm Glocks
For guns you already own you can Practice, train, more range time and aybev a membership, and more ammo. Perhaps a better set of sights and a drop in trigger kit might work out well for you. A new gun isn’t always the answer to become a more accomplished shooter if you don't try to become a better shooter with what you already own.
Old June 19, 2019, 06:51 AM   #14
USNRet93

Quote:
I already own 9mm Glocks, and while there are some excellent arguments for remaining in a single ecosystem, I happen to view shooting as a fun hobby.
Maybe time for a different caliber but staying in the Glock universe. Glock 21?
Glock 41 or maybe G17L..long barrel 9mm? Since it's for range HD??

"Tools not Trophies”

Last edited by USNRet93; June 19, 2019 at 07:05 AM.
Old June 19, 2019, 07:36 AM   #15
Tallest

My gut says stick with Glock... but you seem to be adventurous, so in that sense you're a better man than I.

Have you considered a Sig SP2022? I think the only criteria it doesn't meet is striker fired. I Had one once, still kicking myself that I have it no longer. Maybe a less than helpful suggestion since it doesn't check off the entire list. Perhaps food for thought down the road. :-)

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old June 19, 2019, 07:42 AM   #16
TxFlyFish

G45 MOS
Old June 19, 2019, 11:34 AM   #17
Brownstone322

OK, thanks for those who helped out, although I knew some of the replies would ignore my criteria, which I thought were reasonably specific. So lemme see, a few notes:

• Really, I do not want a .45 Auto (not now, at least).

• Beretta and CZ don't make anything that meets my specs. The CZ P-10 comes in conventional sizes (compact and full-size), as does the Beretta APX (more or less). I already own two Berettas and a CZ, though, and I like their their stuff.

• The SIG SP2022, as noted, is hammer-fired.

• S&W does not make an M&P9 that meets my definition of "hybrid size" (which follows Glock's definition of "crossover"). The standard M&P9 is close (4.25-inch barrel), but it's not what I had in mind.

• The Springfield Armory XD Mod.2 4-Inch Service Model actually meets the criteria, but I've never liked those things, and I don't want one.

• The Walther P99 AS actually looks cool, but it sizes up more as a mid-size or compact as defined by the Glock 19 template, which is my benchmark. (I am aware that Walther makes a P99C AS that they call a compact, but it's smaller still.)

So, anyway, I think the finalists are the ones I listed to begin with ...

• Glock 45 (maybe the MOS version)
• FN 509
• H&K VP9
• SIG 320 Carry

If anyone wants to comment specifically on those four, I'd be interested to see what you have to say.
Old June 19, 2019, 12:09 PM   #18
TunnelRat

How exactly is the VP9 "hybrid size"? The grip is a bit longer, but not quite a full length IMO and you don't gain any capacity in the process? If the P10-C isn't hybrid size, then neither is the VP9.
Maintain situational awareness
Old June 19, 2019, 12:52 PM   #19
sigarms228

My thoughts:

Glock 45: I like my Gen 2 Glock 19 and it fits my hand great and I shoot it great. Because of that I don't see any reason for a Glock 45 for me but many love it and I would not hesitate to buy any Gen 5 Glock if I wanted one.

FN509: I have read too much bad to trust a purchase of a FN pistol including their support especially given other options available. Just my opinion on FN pistols.

VP9: IMO a terrific pistol and I love mine but agree with TunnelRat that it is not in the "hybrid" category. Still I highly recommend the VP9 as a possibility for anyone considering a striker fired pistol of that size.

P320 Carry: P320 has had a rocky history but it seems at this point with recent manufacture it is a solid pistol. Personally I don't like how far forward the trigger breaks and the little takeup because that is contrary to my other striker fire pistols. The number of grip options is attractive and the X series grips module seem to be a nice improvement over the base style which is what I would get if I bought a P320. I really liked shooting the P320 Compact I tried and would not hesitate to buy one if so inclined.

https://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-sau...ium-black.html

Best bet of course is to try out what you are considering and them make a decision.

Last edited by sigarms228; June 19, 2019 at 01:11 PM.
Old June 19, 2019, 11:29 PM   #20
jmhyer

The “problem” mentioned with the FN involved the FNS...not the 509. And I recently had a great experience with FN customer service. My FNS was one of the ones with the potential problem. They replied promptly to my query and sent a shipping label. I had my repaired pistol back to me inside of two weeks.

And I would reconsider the M&P 2.0 compact. As mentioned, the barrel length is what you seek and, as mentioned, it’s great with the full size 17 round magazine with the included grip sleeves.

Last edited by jmhyer; June 20, 2019 at 12:36 PM.
Old June 20, 2019, 06:05 AM   #21
Bfglowkey

Look at the CanIk TP9 Elite or ant variant of the TP until you find your huckleberry. They are gems and often over looked but amazing performers with some of the better triggers( rival Walter depending on model) and once you fire 100 rds of NATO Ammo ( or really any of the hotter factory stuff like S&B Or Fiocchi) these things just flat out shoot. If you want something really off the path but amazing to shoot grab the Tristar T-100 or C-100. They are also made by CanIk and clone the CZ and are DA/SA hammer fired. The TP9 is striker