The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 3, 2005, 12:02 AM   #1
38splfan

Hammer falling on BP revolver

I posted this in the BP forum, but it seems like I might do better here.

I have an 1858 Remington in .44. It is an Italian Repro. I've had it about 7 years now.
It's been fired mostly with blanks for CW reenacting, with some very light target shooting (30 grains and under) every so often.
The hammer no longer stays back at the full or half cock notch. When pulled back, it falls immediately on release. No trigger pull or anything.

The internals look good, if a little grimy. (usually cleaned with Ballistol). I can't find an obvious culprit anywhere.

Maybe I'm just not seeing something obvious?
I could really use the help, and feel free to suggest anything from obvious to obscure.
Thanks for the help guys.
Old August 3, 2005, 11:02 AM   #2
jacobtowne

Not a gunsmith, so take this with a grain of salt.
In the exploded view of the Remington, it appears that the rear edge of the cylinder stop acts as a sear, fitting into the hammer notches. If so, then for some reason that is not happening.
It also looks like one flat spring is used for both the cylinder stop and the trigger.
Does the cylinder stop work properly?
JT
Old August 3, 2005, 01:56 PM   #3
38splfan

Wow.

Bang on point.
The cylinder stop has just a TINY bit of wear, but enough that it does not seem to fit in the hammer notches correctly.
Thank you, very much.
Now, off to DGW to see if they have a new cylinder stop.
Old August 3, 2005, 05:23 PM   #4
jacobtowne

Glad I could help. What I was asking about concerning the stop was really whether the spring was functioning properly on the stop and the trigger.
JT
Old August 3, 2005, 07:49 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Wait one! The cylinder stop on a Remington is NOT the sear, and does not fit into the sear notches on the hammer! The sear is the top part of the trigger, just as it is on the Colt.

Dirt in the action can cause the problem you describe, but there could be a more serious problem. The most likely is a broken trigger spring. Other possibilities are a broken trigger, or stripped out/broken notches in the hammer.

Jim
Old August 3, 2005, 08:12 PM   #6
38splfan

Easy solution.

Well, guys, easy solution either way.
Dixie Gun Works catalog:
Hammer $12.50
Cylinder Stop $5.95
Trigger Spring $3.00
Hand & Spring $5.95
Mainspring $3.00

Can replace the majority of the internal for about thirty bucks. Ought to give it a whole new lease on life.
They also have a replacement trigger, should that be the culprit.

A little fitting and I should be in business.
Thanks again all.