The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 6, 2014, 08:18 PM   #1
Longshot4

Case Trimmers

It's time for me to put the old RCBS collet case trimmer to bed and get a good trimmer. The collet system sucks. Case length is dependent on case head diameter that varies from case to case. I am considering the Sinclair. What do you think.
Old August 6, 2014, 10:59 PM   #2
Ole 5 hole group

If you're talking about the Sinclair/Wilson case trimmer - I doubt there's one better. It's real spendy when considering all the different case holders needed ( assuming you trim a lot of different calibers) but I think it's probably the best money can buy.

I have the Hornady and found that to be a great improvement in consistency over the ole Forster collet trimmer.
Old August 7, 2014, 02:30 AM   #3
C7AR15

pretty happy..

My Lyman case trimmer does a good job.

Easy to hold case in chuck, slip cutter head in and turn 4/5 times.
Easy to set up to .001" tolerance , save 1 case for future reference.
It is kind of slow, but hey -Doing it right takes time
Comes with several different pilot/ guides

Have been looking to speed things up a bit and the WBT , Worlds best Trimmer?? See Brownells. is highly rated $69, but you need 1 for each calibre
Old August 7, 2014, 02:40 AM   #4
1stmar

Cts makes great trimmers... http://www.ctstrimmer.com/6-case-trimmers
Jim is awesome to talk with. They make multiple types of trimmers. One that you can chuck in a drill like the wft trimmer, one that is stand alone beam mounted and one that includes power chamfer/deburing. Can't say enough good things about Jim. I've spoken with him several times and he is just great. Happy to share load data with you, techniques for reloading etc.
Old August 7, 2014, 06:43 AM   #5
rebs

I have a Possum Hollow trimmer and love it. Trimmer and power adapter for 42.50 and it does a great job.
Old August 7, 2014, 07:51 AM   #6
Jim243

Depending on your budget, I would lean toward the Frankford Arsenal unit:

Jim

http://www.opticsplanet.com/frankfor...im-system.html
Old August 7, 2014, 02:36 PM   #7
old roper

I got the Sinclair/Wilson does good job. I had mine when Sinclair first started base for the Wislon trimmer and over the years upgrade.
NRA Life Member
Old August 7, 2014, 03:43 PM   #8
cw308

I am using the RCBS case trimmer for years, never had a problem.
Old August 8, 2014, 09:34 PM   #9
burrhead

The LE Wilson is the most accurate of the lathe type trimmers period. I like the optional stand but you don't need it if you have a vise. The "shark fin" case-holder clamp isn't needed. If you cut out the accessories, the trimmer really isn't particularly expensive and is a finely made piece of equipment. Once set, it will trim cases very consistently. It's simply the best of that type of trimmer.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old August 9, 2014, 07:55 AM   #10
243winxb

Lyman Universal case trimmer

The Lyman universal trimmer may not trim the case mouth square. Not for benchrest.
Old August 9, 2014, 11:04 AM   #11
Ozzieman

Having owned a Wilson case trimmer for over 5 years I can only give it high praise. The only parts you need are the case holders and most will do multiple cases. Most of them run under 25$ and the 223 at Midway is only 11.29.
The one item it has to have is the replacement for the handle so you can mount a power screwdriver to it. This fall I trimmed over 1000 cases in one afternoon of 5.56.
If your going to do large number of cases and speed is a concern then get the replacement holder handle. It just makes loading the case holder much faster.
Once you have the overall length set using the higher end trimmer with the micrometer adjustment its just load a shell into the holder mount the holder and tighten it down and run the cutter in till it stops cutting.
All cases with come out within a couple of thousands of each other. After 5 years and trimming a lot of 30-06 cases from the 50’s, 308’s, 223, 6mm Rem, 7mm Mag, 256 Roberts and 300 Mag. The Wilson is the only trimmer I would consider.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/315...ProductFinding
http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/340...ProductFinding
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/616...ProductFinding

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old August 9, 2014, 11:14 AM   #12
Clark

I have put together a 3 way trimmer for cheap that does a case every 12 seconds. The catch is you have to already own a drill press or vertical mill.

1) RCBS Trim Pro 3-Way Cutter 22 Caliber,
2) Lee threaded Shellholder 223, [Lee case gauge and shell holder 90114, but not using the gauge]
3) Lee Lock stud, [Lee cutter and stud 90110, but not using the cutter]
4) 0.0495" diameter RCBS trim pro cutter shaft part number 09405
5) small needle nose vise grips,
6) 6" Kurt vise,
7) 1963 21-100 Rockwell mill [or use a drill press]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhYlriesNVE
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cheap 3 way brass trimmer.JPG (18.9 KB, 14 views)
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old August 9, 2014, 11:40 AM   #13
RC20

I go with the shoulder case trimmers. They are either motorized (Gearheart?) of drill driven.

Mind is the Little Crow Gun Works drill driven as I mostly need to only trim one caliber.

I think they are making them for multiple calibers you can switch, no experience with them.

Mine is the single application and you measure the case length after each trim and its inside the specs.

I just run em all through each time, if they are long it trims if not it does nothing, makes it easy and quick. All stay under max and over the minimum.

http://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/wft.html

Under $70 and works gangbusters

Last edited by RC20; August 9, 2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old August 10, 2014, 08:14 AM   #14
bbqncigars

I switched to the Wilson trimmer a few years ago. The power adapter makes using it so much easier. Their primer pocket reamers are the best way to remove pocket crimps that I've tried, and I tried virtually every method of crimp removal out there.
Old August 11, 2014, 08:13 AM   #15
Longshot4

I appreciate all of your input. Thank You
Old August 11, 2014, 12:02 PM   #16
sawdustdad

I'm looking for a motorized trimmer as well. Thanks for all the suggestions. More research to do...