The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 11, 2010, 11:09 AM   #1
DanThaMan1776

AR 15 Barrel Profile Question

I'm building a match rifle and would like to know the accuracy difference between a military profile A2 barrel and the civilian HBAR profile.

I'm looking for a 20 inch, 1:7 twist, chrome lined barrel and have found one but it has the narrow military A2 profile (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M...urg-gov-20.htm)

Will the accuracy of said barrel be diminished to a great degree when compared to an HBAR profile? Does anyone have any experience with both?

Thanks a lot in advance
Old June 11, 2010, 11:22 AM   #2
thesheepdog

Go with the original A4 profile which is basically like a match service profile. It's probably an .850 OD under the HG. The lighter barrels are obsolete these days. They heat up quickly and are less accurate. I would say that you may get about .5 MOA with a heavier barrel and good ammo.
Old June 11, 2010, 11:24 AM   #3
brian923

Bull barrels seem to be a little more accurate when firing long sessions. They are stiffer and take longer to heat up. If your building a purpose rifle, ie.. A target rifle, stainless steel seems to be a little more accurate, but I think you could only tell if you are a pro shooter. I for one, can't. But, I have a SS barrel on mine, so I agree with the afformentioned statement

I have a White Oak Armament barrel and absoulutly love it. Its an 18" SPR 1/7" twist and will shoot 68 grn. Hornady HPBT into 1/4" groups @100 yards all day long. I love it and hope to be able to shoot some compotitions with it someday. I highly suggest looking at the barrels. There super high quality and Johns a great guy to deal with. I hope this helps, brian.
Old June 11, 2010, 03:39 PM   #4
DanThaMan1776

Anyone have any recommendations for an upper which houses a 20 inch HBAR, 1:7 twist, chrome lined, A3/4 config??? I'm having a hard time finding all of this in one package...
Old June 11, 2010, 03:41 PM   #5
DanThaMan1776

1:8 twist is good too
Old June 11, 2010, 04:34 PM   #6
thesheepdog

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=594772

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=120468

Never seen a 20" with a 1:7 twist. I don't think you need the faster twist with a longer barrel.

Tags
accuracy , barrel , hbar , military , profile