The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 18, 2018, 11:12 AM   #1
gregnsara

Carry Insurance

I don't know if this is the right forum or not, but I'm wondering if anyone here has ccw insurance, who you have it with, and what you think of it? I'm planning on getting some and I think I'm probably going to go with USCCA due to their slight advantage in coverage over NRA. I know there are a lot of companies out there now who offer insurance but NRA and USCCA seem to be the two big dogs. Does anybody know of anyone who has actually had to use their insurance? If so, how did it work out? I'm in Illinois(NOT CHICAGO! I'm downstate where real people live) so I believe it's in my best interest to have some sort of coverage since this state stinks and seems to have a grudge against gun owners.
Old September 18, 2018, 06:48 PM   #2
Sharkbite

Look at “Firearms legal protection”.

The advantage is that its NOT insurance. Its a prepaid legal service. The difference is slight but important. Insurance does not have to cover you if you are found guilty of a crime.

That means that if after a shooting you accept a plea bargain to avoid the hassel of a trial, your insurance may bail out on you and demand you pay back anything they have spent to date.
Old September 18, 2018, 06:56 PM   #3
Mike38

I have "CCW Safe". What do I think of it? Don't know, I've never needed their services and pray I never have to.
Old September 20, 2018, 08:13 AM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

My former patrol partner just retired from the sheriff's department and since he is going into private security, he bought the non-NRA plan (CCA?).
Old September 20, 2018, 07:40 PM   #5
2wheelwander

Gun Tests did a great article on this a few months ago
Old September 21, 2018, 08:31 AM   #6
buck460XVR

Sounds like a real money maker for those selling it.
Old October 19, 2018, 04:09 PM   #7
Sharkbite

Quote:
Sounds like a real money maker for those selling it.
Thats true for all insurance. You need to weigh the benefit vs. cost
Old October 24, 2018, 08:29 AM   #8
USNRet93

We got the pitch from some company when I was taking the CCW class(Colorado)..and altho sounding promising, I then sent the 2 pamphlets I had to a lawyer buddy and he thought they were slim protection but decent $ for the company. He offered to 'take care of me', in the event of me needing to use my CCW..w/o a monthly payment. Seemed a better idea.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old October 24, 2018, 08:49 AM   #9
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRet93
We got the pitch from some company when I was taking the CCW class(Colorado)..and altho sounding promising, I then sent the 2 pamphlets I had to a lawyer buddy and he thought they were slim protection but decent $ for the company. He offered to 'take care of me', in the event of me needing to use my CCW..w/o a monthly payment. Seemed a better idea.
This and previous responses still seem to be missing the difference between insurance and legal fees plans. There are two concerns if you have to use a firearm for self-defense. The first is having to defend yourself against criminal charges. I think generally the punishment if you're found guilty is imprisonment, so paying your lawyer's bill is a big concern for this one.

Very often after a shooting, even if you're not charged criminally, or if you are charged but you're exonerated in court, the criminal case is followed by a civil lawsuit by the shootee or his family. Some legal fees plans pay to defend these suits, others don't. Either way, a plan that's just a legal fees plan won't pay anything toward a settlement in a civil case, legal fees plans pay only the lawyer's bills. And, since the standard of proof is generally lower in civil cases than in criminal court, you could be found not guilty in a criminal trial but still end up on the losing side of a large monetary judgment in civil court. [Look at OJ Simpson, for example.]

Weigh this carefully when comparing plans.
Old November 20, 2018, 12:39 PM   #10
TwoSeventy

I have been a USCCA Premium Member since I signed on with them two year,s ago.. If you have to pull that pig iron for any kind of incident you better have good Defense Lawyer coverage and lawsuit insurance Coverage.
Because when the Police arrive, your Handgun is confiscated and your handcuffed , placed in a Police Car and hauled off to Jail. At that time the Police consider a criminal until a trial hearing decide,s otherwise. My coverage as a Premium Member is $1,500,000 coverage. $27.00 a month. Now it,s $30.00 a month.
Old November 20, 2018, 01:25 PM   #11
scottycoyote

After talking to my insurance agent quite a bit about my umbrella liability coverage I carry....i decided to go with uscca as well. Of all the plans it seemed they offered what i was looking for, and at what i thought was a reasonable price.
Old November 20, 2018, 03:28 PM   #12
2wheelwander

God feedback from either side on this.

We are considering an umbrella policy as well, good info.
Old November 20, 2018, 05:00 PM   #13
stonewall50

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregnsara View Post
I don't know if this is the right forum or not, but I'm wondering if anyone here has ccw insurance, who you have it with, and what you think of it? I'm planning on getting some and I think I'm probably going to go with USCCA due to their slight advantage in coverage over NRA. I know there are a lot of companies out there now who offer insurance but NRA and USCCA seem to be the two big dogs. Does anybody know of anyone who has actually had to use their insurance? If so, how did it work out? I'm in Illinois(NOT CHICAGO! I'm downstate where real people live) so I believe it's in my best interest to have some sort of coverage since this state stinks and seems to have a grudge against gun owners.

I work in the auto insurance industry (btw Chicago is classified as high risk in that industry). I have this to say:

Insurance is a scam...

Until you need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old November 21, 2018, 06:32 AM   #14
RETG

"I have been a USCCA Premium Member since I signed on with them two year,s ago.. If you have to pull that pig iron for any kind of incident you better have good Defense Lawyer coverage and lawsuit insurance Coverage.
Because when the Police arrive, your Handgun is confiscated and your handcuffed , placed in a Police Car and hauled off to Jail. At that time the Police consider a criminal until a trial hearing decide,s otherwise. My coverage as a Premium Member is $1,500,000 coverage. $27.00 a month. Now it,s $30.00 a month."

That is not true in all cases and in all states. The gun, if used, will most likely be taken as evidence, but under many circumstances you will not be handcuffed and hauled into prison.
I give MY OPINION (not often) based on many years shooting at, other than paper targets. I will not debate my experience vs. your experience based on dreams and "what ifs." I'm 73; I'm too damn old to care.
Old November 21, 2018, 08:12 AM   #15
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoSeventy View Post
I have been a USCCA Premium Member since I signed on with them two year,s ago.. If you have to pull that pig iron for any kind of incident you better have good Defense Lawyer coverage and lawsuit insurance Coverage.
Because when the Police arrive, your Handgun is confiscated and your handcuffed , placed in a Police Car and hauled off to Jail. At that time the Police consider a criminal until a trial hearing decide,s otherwise. My coverage as a Premium Member is $1,500,000 coverage. $27.00 a month. Now it,s $30.00 a month.
That's not true..you will have your handgun taken for evidence but the police will determine fault and take the necessary action. If, when the police arrive, there's some guy on your floor with a big knife in his hand, just past your broken front door..you aren't going to be
Quote:
handcuffed , placed in a Police Car and hauled off to Jail. At that time the Police consider a criminal until a trial hearing decide,s otherwise.
BUT, when the police DO arrive, don't greet them with a gun in your hand..

"Tools not Trophies”