The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 10, 2018, 01:36 PM   #1
jackstrawIII

DA/SA Recommendation for EDC

Hey guys and girls,

I'm a big fan of DA/SA pistols. I love being able to "thumb the hammer" when holstering my guns, both for CCW and especially when running drills at the range. It's a personal thing, I have very little interest in shooting myself in the leg, as unlikely as that is. But I also like the idea of a heavier double action trigger pull on the first shot, to account for a twitchy finger if the need ever arose. Of the DA/SA guns that I've owned, my favorite is the CZ P-01. It's been utterly reliable and shoots very well.

With that said, it's too big for me comfortably conceal on a daily basis. I work in a professional environment, so shooting vests and Hawaiian shirts are out. Out of necessity, I've been carrying my Shield with the chamber empty. I know, naughty me. But let's move on and find a solution.

This begs the question, is there a thin, "easier" to conceal DA/SA gun that I haven't thought of? Is there something else out there that I might like?

Here are the DA/SA guns I've owned:
Sig 226 - Too big
Sig 220 - Too big
Beretta 92 - Too big
H&K P30 V3 - Didn't like the trigger
H&K P2000 V3 - Same
H&K USP9c - Too big
FN High Power - Too big
FN FNX - Safety latch dug into my hand
Various 1911s (I know they're not DA/SA, but if I don't mention it here, someone will recommend one) - Too heavy for their given ammo capacity
CZ PCR - Basically the same as the P01
Walther P99 - Lacks an external hammer

I've considered:
- Various smaller P series Sigs, but the weight/thickness just seems excessive on a lot of them.
- Beretta PX4 seems to get good press, but 1.4" thick is a lot.
- CZ P07 is also well liked, but seems like it's even bigger/heavier than the P01
- Springfield XDE - no go on the "grip zone"
- CZ Rami D - shot a friends Rami and the trigger was really weird. Is that normal for it to be so different from a P01?
- I've considered throwing a "gadget" on one of my Glocks to use that to meet the "thumbing the holster" need. Anyone have experience with this solution?

That's where I'm at. I'm wondering what else might be out there that I haven't thought of or just prematurely overlooked.

Ps. Please don't make this a thread about carrying with a loaded chamber. I know that's preferable, that's why I started this thread.
PPs. Not looking for a 380. Let's use 9mm as the minimum.
Old September 10, 2018, 01:47 PM   #2
Worc

Sig 2022 and Sig 229 along with the Sphinx SDP compact were missed.
Old September 10, 2018, 02:08 PM   #3
TunnelRat

True but none of those are thinner than a number of options that were listed as too large.

I honestly don't know. You've tried a lot of options and have reasons for not liking many of them. That's fair, I just don't know what more to recommend. The SIG P239 is an option if you're liking the Shield, but like you mentioned such pistols are heavier.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old September 10, 2018, 02:11 PM   #4
Kvon2

Quote:
Springfield XDE - no go on the "grip zone"
is the problem here that you don't like that it says "grip zone" or you don't like the new grip texture? Either way I would think a Hogue slip on grip should solve the problem.

I'm a big DA/SA fan myself and the options seem to be disappearing year after year.
Old September 10, 2018, 02:26 PM   #5
stephen426

Have you considered getting a CZ-Rami worked on by Cajun Gun Works or put in one of their kits?

https://cajungunworks.com/product/91...ackage-898-00/
Old September 10, 2018, 02:32 PM   #6
pblanc

The compact Beretta PX4 is probably the one I would look at first.

If you are willing to consider a hammer-fired DAO pistol you might look around for a used SIG P250. SIG has discontinued new production of the P250 except in 22 LR, but there are plenty of used ones around. It has a long but smooth trigger pull. The P250 is 1.1" wide.

I have a Glock "Gadget" (Tau striker control device) on my Glock 19 and it works quite well and is a snap to install.

If you need really small you might consider a striker-fired pistol with a manual safety like many Smith and Wessons. The SIG P365 is supposed to be available with an external manual safety sometime next year as well.
Old September 10, 2018, 02:41 PM   #7
sigarms228

HK P30SK maybe. HK has factory extended 13 and 15 round magazines for it too. Might be worth looking into LEM version, which still has external hammer, if you don't like HK DA though DA can be improved a lot with a new hammer spring. I have read about quite a few who have used the 10 LB hammer spring for the P30 and cut it to the same size as the hammer spring in their P30SK and it reportedly has worked out well.

My LEM P30SK with 13 round magazine in Ozark holster. It's the same height as my Glock 19 with the 13 round magazine.

Old September 10, 2018, 03:23 PM   #8
jackstrawIII

Quote:
The P250 is 1.1" wide.
According to Sig’s website, the P250 and P2022 are both a beefy 1.4” thick, which is bigger than the CZ.

The Sphinx SDP is only slightly narrower than the Sigs at 1.37” and is heavier than the CZ at over 28oz.

Anything smaller?
Old September 10, 2018, 03:42 PM   #9
lunger

How about a Gen 3 Smith Auto. Too many models to list , but some might fit your criteria .
Old September 10, 2018, 03:47 PM   #10
Sevens

Does this have to be currently in production? Because when I think of DA/SA, I think of a S&W 3rd Gen. If you require light, alloy frame. If it must also be thin... single stack alloy frame.

Many options here and almost too many models/model numbers for me to list. Let's start with full size but single stack, alloy frame DA/SA 9mm: that the 3904 or the value line 909.
Old September 10, 2018, 04:48 PM   #11
GarandTd

SAR b6p compact. It is a CZ style pistol. I don't have any experience with the b6p compact, but it's burly big brother, the K2P, has more than proven itself to me. No decocker if that matters.

Edit to add: may be hard to find. Not sure if this is still being imported. Would be comparable to an EAA Witness (compact if they make one)

Last edited by GarandTd; September 10, 2018 at 04:54 PM.
Old September 10, 2018, 05:04 PM   #12
Ben Dover

The old S&W 3913 would seem ideal for you. I don't know if they make them anymore, but there are tons of them out there.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old September 10, 2018, 05:05 PM   #13
dgludwig

Quote:
How about a Gen 3 Smith Auto. Too many models to list , but some might fit your criteria .
The compact, single-column magazine, Model 3913 Gen 3, da/sa, weighing 25 ounces and chambered in 9mm, might meet the op's criteria. Certainly a reliable, well-made and affordable pistol if there ever was one.
Old September 10, 2018, 05:10 PM   #14
Jacket67

I hate to say it, but that is a very limited field. Da/sa in general is a declining market, not to mention in a small carry gun like you're looking for. I did, however, do a quick google search and found the article posted below. Skip down towards the bottom and take a look at the Sphinx subcompact. Seems like it could be right up your alley since you like the p01. Not sure what your budget is because this is not exactly a cheap gun. However, it's the best thing I could find that I thought fit your criteria.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/6...ncealed-carry/

As some have mentioned, I would consider thinking about a Shield with a manual safety. But if that's not something you want to do, then that is your choice.

A friend of mine pocket carries the Sig p938 on a daily basis in professional work attire. It's 9mm, very compact, and has a manual safety. It's SA only, and I know you're looking for da/sa options, but I just wanted to throw this out there on the chance you'd be interested in it. His preferred method of carry when he pocket carries it is one in the chamber, hammer down, safety on. IWB, however, he carries with the hammer cocked, safety on, round chambered.
Old September 10, 2018, 05:15 PM   #15
wnycollector

The S&W 3913/3914 or their "Value Line" siblings 908/908S are superb single stack 9mm ccw's.
Old September 10, 2018, 06:03 PM   #16
MisterCrabby

Check out the Springfield xde. Da/sa safety/decocker.
Old September 10, 2018, 06:45 PM   #17
JDBerg

I’ll highly recommend a Sig P239 (mine is a newer SAS Gen2 with the Short Reset Trigger). A lot of people don’t like the flat front straps on these, but it doesn’t bother me at all. A lot of the used ones I see are wearing those Hogue rubber finger groove grips. But you’d better move on a nice P239 you find since Sig has stopped making them, and the prices are going up!

If you can find a deal on a decent Sig P6 or an original P225, I’d also recommend one of these, just make sure you get at least 2 or 3 OEM mags in the deal, I personally don’t care for the ProMags that you can still get for the P6 or an original P225.

The “new” Sig P225-A1 is essentially a reconfigured P239, they share magazines. These “A1’s” look nice especially with the wood grips, but the new ones are way expensive , and the used ones are all going for more than I’d pay for one.
Old September 10, 2018, 07:30 PM   #18
DubC-Hicks

I nominate the Springfield XD-E. With Talon Grips to cover the Grip Zone ugliness.
Old September 10, 2018, 07:31 PM   #19
OhioGuy

I carry a P-07 pretty routinely. Yeah it's kinda big...any pistol in that category will be the same.

P30sk is smaller but fat...very good gun. The DA/SA configuration is ok but the DA pull is quite heavy. The LE trigger is a smooth, consistent DAO pull that's really quite good. And you can still thumb the hammer.

Springfield XDE is decent but really almost the size of the P-07, just much slimmer.

If the major concern is the margin of safety afforded by thumbing the hammer, then an XD or XDS with grip safety achieves the same. Thumb the back of the slide and you'll disengage the grip safety.

Never used the gadget but have seen one installed and it's a pretty brilliant concept honestly.
Old September 10, 2018, 07:36 PM   #20
OhioGuy

For dressy situations I also have a Walther PPS M2 that I carry in a 3 Speed deep concealment holster, directly up front. Can tuck shirts around that. The PPS M2 has an exposed striker on the rear of the slide that will jab you in the thumb if the trigger encounters resistance. Not as secure as a hammer, but another margin there.

I'm not sure what you're looking for really exists unfortunately. The XDE is closest but it's still long and tall.

Your best bet may well be a Glock 43 with a Gadget.
Old September 10, 2018, 07:52 PM   #21
HighValleyRanch

There isn't one. I've searched high and low for the same. The closest I've seen is maybe a Walther p5.

I've gone to a Sig 230 SL with hot .380 for my very concealable DA/SA thin carry. I know you don't want .380, but sometimes you have to compromise for what you want. Like you, I preferred the DA/SA but tried the HK P2000SK, and it was way too thick. I think that most of the single stacks you are considering are way too thick.

You might have to think about the Kahr k9 for the same size as your shield. Safe for what you want because it has a double action only type trigger and is very revolver like.

If your shield has a safety, why not just use the safety for holstering and then flip it off for carry. It's perfectly safe with a round in the chamber with the firing pin safety. I have no problem carry it in condition one AIWB. It fullfills all my needs, but is just so ugly!LOL
Old September 10, 2018, 08:11 PM   #22
OhioGuy

Quote:
. If your shield has a safety, why not just use the safety for holstering and then flip it off for carry. It's perfectly safe with a round in the chamber with the firing pin safety.
The man has a point! This does solve your dilemma for holstering it.
Old September 10, 2018, 08:49 PM   #23
jackstrawIII

Thanks for all the feedback guys, keep it coming. I'll look at every one.

Ps. The those that recommend the Sig P225, I looked at it before and wish it was just a bit smaller and lighter. It's a beautiful firearm.
Old September 10, 2018, 08:57 PM   #24
vmr357

When you say too big, does that mean thickness or overall size. If size isn't an issue, but thinness is; look for a Browning BDM. It decocks and can be set to DA/SA in Pistol mode. It is the thinnest full sized gun out there. The downside is the guns are somewhat scarce and the magazines are very scarce. High capacity mags are very rare and very expensive.
Just a thought.
Old September 10, 2018, 09:58 PM   #25
Fishbed77

Quote:
Walther P99 - Lacks an external hammer
The P99AS and sub-compact P99cAS (one of the most compact 9x19mm DA/SA pistols I can think of currently in production) lack an external hammer, but they have a visible and tactile cocked striker indicator that will project from the rear of the slide if the striker is cocked or the trigger is pulled in double action mode.

Tags
advice , ccw , da/sa , glock