The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 26, 2018, 03:56 PM   #26
FireForged

There is certainly nothing special about me and although I am no expert in anything, I have been around the block a few times.

The next time someone is sitting around touting their "situational awareness".. ask them to explain the seven domains of situational awareness and ask them where they received their training. Ask them the minimum distance that is considered "your situation" and ask them what that determination is typically based upon. If they cannot answer those question fairly quickly and easily, I doubt they have any idea what they are talking about.

I hear people throwing around tactical speak all the time.. what I don't hear is anything conceptual to back up their buzz words. The last time I called a ( so called instructor) out in reference to SA, I couldn't get any answers from him but he finally and awkwardly said that he received his "training" from a 4 hr ride along and watching youtube blogs. .. yeah, whatever
Old May 27, 2018, 11:20 AM   #27
stonewall50

Lack of situational awareness: it happens to everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireForged View Post
There is certainly nothing special about me and although I am no expert in anything, I have been around the block a few times.

The next time someone is sitting around touting their "situational awareness".. ask them to explain the seven domains of situational awareness and ask them where they received their training. Ask them the minimum distance that is considered "your situation" and ask them what that determination is typically based upon. If they cannot answer those question fairly quickly and easily, I doubt they have any idea what they are talking about.

I hear people throwing around tactical speak all the time.. what I don't hear is anything conceptual to back up their buzz words. The last time I called a ( so called instructor) out in reference to SA, I couldn't get any answers from him but he finally and awkwardly said that he received his "training" from a 4 hr ride along and watching youtube blogs. .. yeah, whatever

To be fair...ride alongs are very educational when it comes to learning the common stupidity of the dregs of society. The drunks, addicts, and druggies. Not for situational awareness. Lol.

Next time you hear it...ask them to tell you how many people are in the room lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old May 27, 2018, 09:09 PM   #28
FireForged

imo.. unless you are a fire marshal, I would consider the effort of staying apprised of the [exact] number of people in the room to be an example of what is called "static". Generally speaking., the generic values such as ..few, average or alot of people being in the room is about as much as I would care to notice in regards to (numbers). Far too many people fall into the trap of information overload via "static" and other non-core issues. Knowing what to pay attention to and what to exclude is much more important that simply trying to see everything or anything. I have never tried see too much.. I simply try to use 3 or 4 primary elements that I feel most confident with and try to measure those things vs how they may potentially effect my personal safety. Productive information is typically called "ripples in the water". Everything else can be considered one form of static or another. Too many people end up treating their SA efforts like a contest to see who can absorb the most information. Its not about that at all.

Last edited by FireForged; May 28, 2018 at 03:08 PM.
Old May 27, 2018, 10:58 PM   #29
K_Mac

FireForged, I don't know nothing about no seven domains. That does not mean that I am unaware of what is going on around me. To assume I am not situationally aware because I don't meet your standards is an arrogant mistake in my opinion.
Old May 27, 2018, 11:32 PM   #30
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
...the seven domains of situational awareness...
Are you talking about Van Horne's & Riley's six behavioral domains of situational awareness?
Old May 28, 2018, 05:45 AM   #31
Brit

My Wife has known me 48 years, married to me for 25 of those years.

Has picked up a lot in those years. So when she called me on her Cell phone, whilst shopping at our local Publix, I listened up.

"I am being stalked by two young black Guys, pants hanging down, do not fit in here" As my Wife is from Guyana, and local Indian, I know it is not a colour thing!

As she would not disturb my Library book reading for no good reason, I listened up. "They have no cart or basket, and one is always in sight"

"Call me when you are in the line, checking out, come out of the doors facing the overhang, I will be parked there, standing behind the Jeep, walk quicker when you exit, down the side, were the extra carts are, don't look back"

She did all that, I was standing behind the Jeep. Shirt open. Did I say it was a Marked Security Vehicle?

Both of these young men, late teens? Were about 7 yards behind her when she exited. I was watching hands. The one on my left was focused on my good looking Wife, his buddy looking about. He saw me! Grabbed his partners arm, they took off across the parking lot, running. They had no car, my Wife was driving their ride. They had no weapons, their pants would have fallen down!

Why did I not call 911? Seriously?
Old May 28, 2018, 07:52 AM   #32
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
I respectfully suggest that not being able to recite those things means little about one's ability, and that not being able to may not mean very much either.
Old May 28, 2018, 09:32 AM   #33
seeker_two

One criticism I will argue....extending her arm to make a near-contact shot was a good move. It maximized the hits on the perp while minimizing the chance of shots hitting anyone else. It was a good call.

Learning from the incident is a good thing. Playing the "What If" game ad-nauseum is not.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Old May 28, 2018, 03:05 PM   #34
FireForged

Quote:
FireForged, I don't know nothing about no seven domains. That does not mean that I am unaware of what is going on around me. To assume I am not situationally aware because I don't meet your standards is an arrogant mistake in my opinion.
Quote:
I respectfully suggest that not being able to recite those things means little about one's ability, and that not being able to may not mean very much either
Please allow me to rehabilitate my comment a little..

My comment was in reference to some people who claim "instructor" status and tout their knowledge involving SA and similar concepts. I was being critical of those who would instruct others when they may not have the necessary prerequisite knowledge to do so competently. I was speaking generally.

When I said ask them about the 7 domains, I am referring to the main elements, tiers or basic categories of information regarding SA. Not necessarily an answer based on any specific training or specific book but just the basic ability to explain Situational Awareness conceptually as well as operationally. Essentially, if you know about it, you should probably be able to talk about it intelligently. If you cant, it may not mean anything in an absolute sense but at the same time, it doesnt really instill a lot of confidence in a persons base knowledge.

I agree with you that you may be very aware of your surrounding no matter if you have specialize training or not. Training helps but a persons ability to maintain a general or even heightened awareness in their surroundings is not rocket science. Sorry if you took my comment to be insulting, it was not my intent.

Last edited by FireForged; May 28, 2018 at 03:49 PM.
Old May 28, 2018, 06:08 PM   #35
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
When I said ask them about the 7 domains, I am referring to the main elements, tiers or basic categories of information regarding SA.
Are you talking about kinesics, biometrics, proxemics, geographics, iconography and atmospherics?

Those are the six (not seven) behavioral domains of situational awareness as described by Van Horne and Riley in their book, "Left of Bang". I believe at least one instructor in the U.S. teaches them, and Danelo incorporated them into his handbook.
Old May 28, 2018, 06:10 PM   #36
K_Mac

Well said FireForged. I respect your passion for self defense and proper training. We're good.