The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 10, 2015, 02:43 PM   #26
Unclenick
Staff

Wendy,

You can measure both cases and bullet ogives with your Hornady tool. You just need the appropriate insert for each. If you don't own the bullet ogive insert made by Hornady, I recommend you buy the stainless steel ones sold by Sinclair (they fit both the Hornady and Sinclair caliper adapter heads). The Sinclair inserts (scroll down this page) catch the bullet a little further down, much closer to where the rifling will actually meet the ogive. This had a little bit less standard deviation for me than the Hornady inserts gave me, though, to be frank, it was not enough to matter. I just like as much consistency as I can get.

Regarding the RCBS Precision Mic (PM), I own three, but you need to own a separate one for every chambering, so if I wanted one for every chambering I have it would become a cost burden. The Hornady and Sinclair types just require owning the right inserts, and those are much less expensive than the PM. It is also a little slower to operate, as you have to screw the thimble of and on for every measurement. One thing the PM does that the Hornady tool does not do is try to get you close to an absolute measurement. My PM's are all within about 0.002" of absolute, but none are exact. You still need to use a good quality headspace GO gauge to double check and calibrate these tools. You still need to measure relatively to get shoulder setback correctly established.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle