The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 13, 2002, 11:14 AM   #1
Alex Johnson

Cheap Model 12's

Has anyone noticed the price of Winchester Model 12's seems to be dropping? In my area I've seen several nice condition, untouched 12's selling for $175-$250 lately. Is that the going price or are there just some good deals in my area at this time? These are all 2 3/4" with un-ventilated ribs, but still nice shotguns.
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old September 13, 2002, 10:25 PM   #2
kehrby

That sounds like a really great deal. I don't think I could pick one up in my area for that. I happen to like M12s, Of course I happen to like just about any kind of shotgun. But really, I think I would check one of those out for that price!!!!

Steve
Old September 14, 2002, 07:20 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Last I looked, Field grade 12s with visible wear were going for around $300 up around here. IMO, grab a couple.

12s have gone in and out of fashion the last 30 years or so. Right now,they're not terribly fashionable.
Old September 28, 2002, 04:55 PM   #4
Alex Johnson

Just got back from the gunstore this afternoon, I bought a sweet little model 12 in 16 guage. At first glance I thought it was a refinish because it just looked too good to be true, a close inspection has me convinced it's the original finish which is an easy 90% and the price was $260. Haven't decided if I should give it to my father for Christmas or keep it myself, decisions decisions....
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old September 28, 2002, 07:56 PM   #5
Clemson

Great buy, Alex. Does the barrel say "2 3/4 inch?" I understand that Model 12's in 16 gauge are a bear to make feed 2 3/4 inch shells if they are made originally for 2 9/16 fodder. Apparently it requires more than lengthening the chamber.
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old September 29, 2002, 12:18 PM   #6
Alex Johnson

Yes, it's in 2 3/4", were the 2 9/16" chambered guns the first ones produced? I would imagine you could shorten available shells to that length, if you had too, though it would be kind of a pain to do. Anyway, hopefully I won't have that problem, think I'll buy a box or two of bismuth and try it out on ducks this fall if I have some time.
- Mark Twain
Old September 30, 2002, 07:11 AM   #7
Clemson

If yours is marked "2 3/4" you won't have any problems. The change was made sometime before WWII, but there are a good many guns floating around with those shorter chambers. They kick hard and don't pattern well with modern shells, and the pressure could actually be dangerous. Enjoy that Model 12 and let us know how it shoots.
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com
Old September 30, 2002, 11:22 PM   #8
kehrby

I also have 16ga m-12 but it is unfortunately the 2 9/16 chamber. I have information regarding the years that the chambers were changed but I cant locate it right now. I do know that if it is an early gun and the barrel is not marked with chamber length it is 2 9/16. If it is marked 2 3/4 you have no worries, Enjoy that gun! I love my 12ga M-12 but that 16 is so much lighter I am going to have to find one I can shoot.

Steve