The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 29, 2002, 06:04 PM   #1
Torquemada

Aguila Mini slugs

Took a group of people shooting this weekend. Had one box of Mini slugs and a Benelli Nova (among other things).

First-timer: (I load) fire, wow, fun!
Second-timer: (I load), fire, wow, fun!
Wife: (I load), grimace, fire, wow, fun!
seasoned Father-in-law: frown, load, fire, wow, fun!
seasoned friend: grimace, load, fire, wow, fun!
me: hey, this IS fun and BTW, wow!

Granted, this was at the 25-yard line as the 100/200 was full all day and we were hurting paper only. Negligible recoil, big holes, instant feedback as to where you hit vs. where you were aiming. Took the second-timer trapshooting later, he got 10/25 once he settled down (he was rushing and fumbling, the RO got him settled).

Great fun and worth the money at ~$6.50 for 20 slugs. Next time, I hope to try them at 50-yard and 100-yard. Very useful as a training tool (better than 3" Magnum slugs ).

BTW, S&B slugs kick less than Brenneke KO although the holes are the same
Ain't no sense worrying 'bout things you got control over, 'cause if you got control over 'em, ain't no sense in worrying. And there ain't no sense in worrying 'bout things you ain't got control over, 'cause if you ain't got control over 'em, ain't no sense in worrying. - Satchel Paige
Old September 29, 2002, 06:13 PM   #2
leadbutt

Did you have any trouble in them feeding? Tried them in the 870 and they tend to hang up.
Old October 1, 2002, 01:04 AM   #3
Torquemada

Irrelevant at the time because that range only allows one round at a time in non-.22 long arms.

Tried cycling tonight, had to keep barrel pointed up ~15 degrees and still had occasional failure-to-eject but no failure-to-feed as long as the barrel was pointed upward. At one point, I had two mini slugs trying to fit into the same space . So I would say NO they don't come anywhere near reliable, and I wouldn't keep them loaded for Home Defense. I may put one or two into the nylon side-saddle shell carrier (it's loaded 4+0 with 00 buck at home), since I have the magazine cut-off if necessary.

Realistically I don't know how well I could load the minislugs in a crisis situation, but I like the option. Better than 2.75" slugs in the house, as I have neighbors very close by (and frame/drywall/siding construction).
Ain't no sense worrying 'bout things you got control over, 'cause if you got control over 'em, ain't no sense in worrying. And there ain't no sense in worrying 'bout things you ain't got control over, 'cause if you ain't got control over 'em, ain't no sense in worrying. - Satchel Paige
Old October 1, 2002, 08:37 AM   #4
Double Naught Spy

According to Aguila's site, they do tend to be problematic in some makes of guns, but they have fixes for that. Supposedly, on gun company is designing a special shotgun designed specifically for the little rounds.
Old October 1, 2002, 09:21 AM   #5
nashgill

I believe I just read an article (either shooting times or the NRA magazine) about these little guys and it seemed to indicate that it wasn't too reliable a feeder on stock shotguns but there were some parts available to fix this.
Old October 1, 2002, 03:42 PM   #6
9mmMike

Yup.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...hreadid=131586

IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old October 3, 2002, 07:52 PM   #7
Kevan

According to the web site for Aguila, the mini-shells function "flawlessly"---their word---in Winchester Defenders. I haven't gotten a chance to try them in mine, though.