The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 23, 2002, 08:39 AM   #1
Slater

Slings on hunting shotguns

Do most folks use a sling on their hunting shotgun, or is it considered unnecessary?
Old September 23, 2002, 08:55 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Most of my shotguns are set up with sling studs, and a sling usually is on the weapon or riding along in my vest or pack.

IIRC, there's 5 slings here, a couple dedicated ones and a couple I move as needed.
Old September 23, 2002, 09:24 AM   #3
HSMITH

I have one on all but the 6 pound 20 ga. I would not hunt without a sling available on a gun over 7 pounds.
Old September 23, 2002, 10:26 AM   #4
beagle1

Slings

I have the type that snap on and off [browning] on the A5 that I use snowshoe hunting.It is a godsend when trying to get the dogs on leash and at the same time carying out the rabbits.
For years I never used a sling but now I think they are great.
Best
Charlie
Old September 23, 2002, 06:41 PM   #5
Ron L

I keep one with QD's on every hunting gun. Never know when you're going to need two hands to carry something or drag that deer back. Certainly helps.

Detroit Area Chapter
Terre-Haute Torque & Recoil Society
"If it rolls, floats, or shoots, runs on gunpowder or gasoline, goes fast, shoots a big bullet, or makes lots of noise thus producing torque and recoil - it's cool."
Old September 23, 2002, 07:29 PM   #6
KSFreeman

Even my very first shotgun (an H&R 20 ga. single shot) has a sling on it.

As wise man in Tejas saith, a sling is to a long gun as a holster is to a pistol.
Old September 23, 2002, 08:08 PM   #7
Mannlicher

Slings are just darn practical. The QD ones are a life saver. I would not go afield without my sling.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old September 27, 2002, 11:31 PM   #8
Jim Crews

Slings

A handgun needs a holster.

A long gun needs a sling.

A sling on a long gun is as a holster is to a handgun.

Three places for your long gun.

Either in the rack, on the sling or mounted.

Jim Crews
406-777-3557
Cell 602-549-7389
http://www.marksmans.com
Old September 30, 2002, 12:50 AM   #9
HerrJaegermeister

I don't like slings for upland bird hunting

I am not a fan of slings for pheasant hunting. They seem to get in the way when walking through tall cover. Also, I hunt with a field-bred English springer spaniel. Flushs come fast and with little warning except for a very "birdy" dog.

An experienced rooster isn't going to wait for you to unsling a shotgun to make a shot. Pheasant hunters need to carry their shotgun in a comfortable and safe ready position. I practice my ready position to the proper mount often in the preseason. When there is a flush, the mount is automatic, very quick and the same every time.

My 870 Wingmaster has sling studs, however. I change it over to a deer gun with a Hastings rifled barrel and scope. It is great to be able to sling the shotgun while dragging deer or climbing into a tree stand. This is ONLY done with a completely unloaded weapon and the slide and bolt open.

Sings are nice for waterfowling in waders too. You never have enough hands when waist deep in muck. Try untangling decoys with one hand hanging onto your favorite shotgun.

Bye
Old September 30, 2002, 08:59 AM   #10
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

QD swivels set up on long guns. Sling stays in my pack until I need to use it. Don't care for slings when SG in use. Nice to sling when totin' out the turkeys, etc.