The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 2, 2017, 05:51 AM   #1
DUNITALL

Rainier bullets

I don't see any one using rainier bullets in the reload talks. I reload 9 mm. I have used other bullets but for my use I find the rainier to work well and at the best price. When I check the target I find a perfect round hole and that make me feel that the rainier is doing a good job. Of course the powder charge and kind of load will make a difference, but with rainier 115/124/147 all fly true with my reloads.
Old July 2, 2017, 08:12 AM   #2
turtlehead

I prefer the Raniers over Berry's in my .380s. Which is too bad because I have a lot of the Berry's.
Old July 2, 2017, 09:02 AM   #3
Nathan

I shot a lot of Rainier and they shoot accurately, in my handguns. They were often on sale at Midway.

Now I buy in bulk when Xtreme has their sales.they make a slightly thicker jacketed bullet, imo and shoot the same. I say thicker, because they are smoother, so I might be wrong on thickness.
Old July 2, 2017, 09:47 AM   #4
indie_rocker

I too prefer Rainier over Berry's. I don't think there's anything wrong with Berry's, I just started shooting Rainier when I started reloading and so that's what I prefer.

I've run them pretty hot out of a 10mm and 357mag and have not had any problems the bullets breaking down. I have been running more of RMR's stuff lately though, free shipping and thicker plating and about the same price as Rainier.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk
Old July 2, 2017, 10:07 AM   #5
Nick_C_S

I use Rainier's 148 DEWC for 38 target ammo - second to none. They have a little ridge around the circumference on the leading edge that cuts a beautiful full-caliber circular hole in paper/cardboard. Plated WC/SWC bullets tend to have rounded leading edges that don't cut sharp holes, so that ridge really makes up for it.

But other than that, I'm almost exclusively X-treme for my plated bullet needs. Which is plenty: 45 ACP, 44 Spl, 10mm, 38, & 9mm.

I've used Berry's because my LGS carries them; and they're fine. It's just cheaper to buy on line, and I'm pleased with X-treme for that.
Old July 2, 2017, 10:16 AM   #6
bedlamite

I've used Rainier, Berrys, and Xtreme, in 38, 40, and 44, all with good results. I generally use Xtreme more because of price.
Old July 2, 2017, 12:03 PM   #7
disseminator

I shoot Rainier Plated HP's in 9mm, 40, and 45 Auto.

They are great. They leave nice clean holes in the paper like a wadcutter does and they feed great in all my guns providing great accuracy within their velocity limitation.
Old July 2, 2017, 12:59 PM   #8
Hammerhead

Back in the 2009 shortage the only bullets I could find for my 357 were some Rainier 130 grain .356" .38 Super bullets, had to seat them deep and crimp on the nose to get them to fit in my cylinder, but they shot real nice despite being undersized for the bore.
Been using them ever since. (now I buy the correct size)
Love their plated 148 DEWC and 125 and 158 flat points.
Old July 2, 2017, 01:13 PM   #9
BigJimP

I shot a lot of them in the past...but their quality, consistency and thickness of plating, is not good..and when they kept raising their prices about 7 or 8 yrs ago, they become more expensive so I quit shooting them.

Take a handful of them out of a box ...and weigh them - and I think you'll find they vary a lot ..( on a 230gr RN they will vary 5 or 6 grains often ).

Today Rainier in case lots ...are more expensive than Montana Gold, which is a true premium jacketed bullet ...not plated. In my view, Berry's is a much better product / more consistent plating and thicker plating.

In magnum calibers... .357 Mag and .44 Mag... I have seen a lot of "plating fracture" on Rainiers...and the guns spitting a lot of shrapnel as they leave the muzzle..which is not good.

I think Rainier is safe to shoot - fine for practice - at lower velocities.. in 9mm, .45 acp, etc...but unless they were 50% cheaper than Berry's I wouldn't shoot them. In case lots now ... 4,000 bullets in 115 gr FMJ 9mm is $340 a case delivered or $85 per 1,000 .... / Midway's price right now on Rainier is $96 per thousand plus shipping...so hands down Montana Gold is a better price and a significantly better product in my view.

I just checked prices on Berry's too ...and they are $93.13 per 1,000 plus shipping...so they are cheaper than Rainier too...
Old July 2, 2017, 02:02 PM   #10
jag2

I've used them before and never really had any complaints but I still prefer FMJ. I buy Zero brand, great bullets for not much more. I still use Rainier for 32-20, it's ideal for pistol and rifle. Not a fan of lead so plated is a good option.