The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 27, 2010, 10:00 AM   #1
Mr. Whimsy

Anyone scope their 1916 Spanish Mauser?

Posted in other sub-forums and was hoping I'd find some more information in this one.

Does anyone know of - other than drilling/tapping - any scope mount base that would fit this rifle? B-square made a scout mount at one time, but I don't think people were very happy with it. I certainly wasn't happy with their 1903 Springfield mount.

The 1916 is a small-ring Mauser on the 1893 pattern, if my internet research is correct. I would think any mount for the 1893 would work, but have yet to see such a beast.

I've literally had this rifle sitting around for 20 years collecting dust because I require optics for rifle shooting. it was a gift so selling it isn't an option, and I would like to do something with it. It is a nice little rifle.
Old December 27, 2010, 10:08 AM   #2
Snakedriver

Sadly, I've never been able to find one that will work either.
Old December 27, 2010, 10:17 AM   #3
Que

I have one that is ina sporter configuration (8x57) that I picked up for a song that someone had dropped some considerable coin on short of mounting a scope. My thought was to use a scout configuration. The one that I have been looking at is by XS Sights. Check it out.
Old December 27, 2010, 10:33 AM   #4
Snakedriver

OK, here's one that will work that is made for the 1916 Spanish Mauser that makes a Scout Rifle using a long eye relief scope. Not bad, but a little spendy.

http://www.galatiinternational.com/M...WithThumbbreak
Old December 27, 2010, 11:05 AM   #5
Mr. Whimsy

Thank you Snakedriver!

It is a little more than I'd like to spend, but on the other hand it will make my rifle usable to me. Scout mount would be fine, only problem is I've never done it before. I have a couple more questions...

1. Requires LER scope - pistol or shotgun? I don't have either, so I'll have to buy one.

2. I suspect my magazine spring is too weak - where's a good place to buy this and do I need an 1893 spring specifically, or will a 98 spring work?

As you can tell there is a reason this project has been 20 years in the making. I'm just not a bolt-action rifle guy and know very little about Mausers.
Old December 27, 2010, 11:19 AM   #6
Snakedriver

I think this is the magazine spring you want on Page 4 for $17.90:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...px?catid=11700

Call 'em up and talk to them to make sure. The folks at Numrich are the real experts at gun parts on old guns. I've used them many times and they are A1.

I've got nothing for you on Long Eye Relief Scopes. I've never set one up for that.
Old December 27, 2010, 04:41 PM   #7
Mr. Whimsy

Yes, that looks like what I need, thank you very much!

I didn't even think of Numrich for some reason.