The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 8, 2013, 11:01 AM   #1
Cowboy_mo

Anyone have experience with this sight on a handgun??

I am looking at a Sightmark Ultra Shot QD Digital Switch Reflex Gun Sight to be mounted on my Ruger 22/45. The sight runs around $100 which is what I am comfortable spending for this type of sight.

There are tons of reviews of this sight when mounted on rifles but almost no info regarding their use on a handgun.:mad

The pistol/sight will be used for punching paper, reactive targets, and if I get good enough taking some tree rats
Old September 8, 2013, 11:22 AM   #2
allaroundhunter

I'm pretty sure there aren't reviews of it on a handgun because it is fairly large for that purpose. They are the size of Eotech sights, which is larger than I would want on a pistol.

If I am not using a tube-style sight on a pistol (my preferred red dot), then I like something along the line of the Burris Fastfire, Trijicon RMR, etc.
Old September 8, 2013, 02:14 PM   #3
Cowboy_mo

Allaround

Not trying to be argumentative and not having seen any of these sights first hand but looking at photos, your 2 suggestion appear to be (at least close) to the same size as the sightmark.

Now, your did present any interesting alternative with the "round" red dot. What round red dot would you recommend?
Old September 8, 2013, 11:43 PM   #4
Yung.gunr

I have a Sightmark similar to the one you are looking at on a Saiga .223. It fits my needs and I like it. Not really a review for a handgun I know, but as far as the product goes I am happy with it.
Old September 9, 2013, 12:28 PM   #5
allaroundhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy_mo View Post
Not trying to be argumentative and not having seen any of these sights first hand but looking at photos, your 2 suggestion appear to be (at least close) to the same size as the sightmark.

Now, your did present any interesting alternative with the "round" red dot. What round red dot would you recommend?
The Fastfire and RMR are considerably smaller than the sightmark.
Old September 15, 2013, 05:39 PM   #6
Yung.gunr

I agree that the Sightmark is large for a handgun. I have looked at a Bushnell sight that would fit MUCH better for a handgun than the Sightmark.