The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 9, 2013, 08:23 PM   #1
A pause for the COZ

Savage Barrel in 327 magnum?

Still on a hunt for a rifle chambered in 327 federal magnum.
Since I have a couple savage short actions, that has me thinking.
Would it be possible to get a hold of a 32 cal Savage barrel blank and get it chambered to 327?
Then what bolt head would or could work?
Obviously with out some magazine work it would be a single shot rifle.
Old March 10, 2013, 11:35 AM   #2
PetahW

I'd want to advise real caution, here -

FYI

The .32 Federal has 2X the opertaing pressure of the .32 H&R Magnum;

45,000 psi vs "only" 21,000 psi - well beyond the ability of many actions to handle.

If you're planning on a Savage 10, 11, 16, etc modern short-action BA rifle, it's probably doable, except that most .32 cal bbls would quickly get shot out at .327 Fed strength.
I'd suggest considering a quality bbl, from an aftermarket/custom barrelmaker.

Old March 10, 2013, 12:16 PM   #3
natman

Quote:
I'd want to advise real caution, here -

FYI

The .32 Federal has 2X the opertaing pressure of the .32 H&R Magnum;

45,000 psi vs "only" 21,000 psi - well beyond the ability of many actions to handle.
This part I agree with.

Quote:
If you're planning on a Savage 10, 11, 16, etc modern short-action BA rifle, it's probably doable, except that most .32 cal bbls would quickly get shot out at .327 Fed strength.
I don't understand. Is there some common source of soft steel 32 caliber barrels I'm not aware of? I don't understand why a 32 caliber barrel wouldn't last just as long as, say, a 30 or 35 caliber barrel.

BTW, the idea of using a Savage 10 bolt action has a lot of issues. The action would be huge and on most the bolt face is too big. You might want to consider a 223, the bolt face is reasonably close, but you would probably need to change the extractor.

I'd take a look at a Savage 25 made in 22 hornet. The bolt face would have to be opened slightly, the pressure is similar and the length is close enough. Food for thought.

All in all I have to wonder if just getting a TC Contender or Encore in 327 wouldn't be the way to go.

Last edited by natman; March 10, 2013 at 12:50 PM.
Old March 10, 2013, 03:54 PM   #4
A pause for the COZ

Quote:
All in all I have to wonder if just getting a TC Contender or Encore in 327 wouldn't be the way to go.
I can for sure say. if I already had a TC Contender or Encore. This would have been a done deal by now. It may in fact end up being the only real do able possibility.
They already make a 32 h&R Magnum contender barrel, That would not be much of a issue getting it chambered to 327 magnum.
By the time I get done though I have $600 plus in a fun gun.

Once I had gotten past the initial cost for the Encore frame and stock.
I would be able to fart around to my hearts content.

Am I talking my self into a Encore?
Old March 10, 2013, 04:14 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Natman,

As is so often the case, it comes down to money. The soft steel used in barrels made for low pressure loads and lead bullets was a lot cheaper to buy and to machine than the hard steel used for barrels intended for high pressure center fire cartridges with jacketed bullets. The rifle market was and is highly competitive, and the soft steel barrels were more than adequate for the original cartridge, and would last about forever if given good care, soft steel was used.

But if a soft steel barrel is used with high pressure jacketed bullet cartridges, it won't last long. The hotter gasses erode the rifling and the jacketed bullets wear it down.

That is why most folks will advise against rechambering rifles made for .22 LR for .22 WMR. It is not the extra .001" in bullet diameter, but the fact that the barrel will burn out rapidly.

Jim
Old March 11, 2013, 03:01 AM   #6
natman

Well, yes, I would recommend against rechambering a 32 caliber black powder barrel because the steel might be softer.

I don't see any sign the OP was planning on doing such a thing nor why it should be more likely to happen in 32 caliber than any other, but FWIW it's something to be avoided.
Old March 11, 2013, 11:05 AM   #7
PetahW

Well, I saw a sign - What else do you think a "32 cal Savage barrel blank" might be, given that (AFAIK) Savage hasn't made any .32 cal barrels for at least 70 years ?

Old March 11, 2013, 11:48 AM   #8
Scorch

I see what PetahW was saying, and I understand what the OP is asking. Could he buy a 32-cal barrel and have it fitted to a Savage 10/11/16 action? Sure, but be ready to pay for it. 327 Federal Magnum has the same head size as the 32 H&R Magnum, but will launch the same bullet at higher velocity. Unfortunately, when you start messing around with conversions and customizing, and you are paying a smith $80-$100/hr to do so, it gets expensive in a hurry. If you want a 327 Fed Mag rifle, get a Contender/Encore barrel. If you cannot find one in 327 Federal Magnum, buy a 32 H&R barrel and open up the chamber. Shouldn't be an issue.
Old March 11, 2013, 04:10 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

I think I tried to provide answers but failed to ask the right questions. Savage barrel for what rifle? What action is it to be used on? Are we talking about an old Savage or Stevens .32 single shot barrel? A barrel for a Savage 99? Or a Model 10 or 11?

Just too little information in the original post.

Jim
Old March 11, 2013, 08:38 PM   #10
PetahW

Oh, I dunno - I read what I thought was enough info.

"I have a couple savage short actions"

would seem to rule out Savage rifles that have only one action size, like the single-shots (Favorite's, etc), and indicates (to me) the modern Savage bolt-action line (110, etc - which has short-actions (10, 11, 16, etc).

"Would it be possible to get a hold of a 32 cal Savage barrel blank"

instead of just "a .32 cal barrel blank" indicates ,to me, an older/softer Savage .32 RF bbl. or possibly a Savage Model 23C .32 cal bbl - last made in 1942.

The OP didn't clarify further, in his 2nd post............... So, I think I'll just keep my big trap shut.

Old March 11, 2013, 09:36 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

Me too.

Jim
Old March 12, 2013, 10:30 AM   #12
A pause for the COZ

Sorry guys life got in the way.

I have two savage short action receivers, A model 10 and a model 11.
And what i was looking for was Barrel blank in 32 cal for said action.

I gather from what has been said. Thats most likely not going to happen.
Unless I am willing to break open fort COZ's gold reserve.

That sort of defeats the selling points of the Savage Barrel swap system.
AN Encore is looking like a better option all the time.