The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 2, 2013, 07:57 PM   #1
felipito

452AA and 473AA Powder

HI, i have around 10 pounds of each 452AA and 473AA in jars that are not the original case for these powders.
So now i am confused in which is which.
Does someone have a picture of either of this powders so i can compare it to mine.

Can someone identify them in this picture?

Please i need help...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130220_114621 (640x480).jpg (53.6 KB, 20 views)
Old March 2, 2013, 09:00 PM   #2
jepp2

I have some 452AA, but you are a much braver person than I am if you are willing to depend on a computer rendition of powder appearance to decide which is which and to use that to develop loads.
Old March 2, 2013, 09:29 PM   #3
Goatwhiskers

Great fertilizer for mama's roses. You cannot identify powder by its appearance. Any powder in an unlabeled container is worthless and you're taking your life in your hands to try to use it. GW
Old March 2, 2013, 09:40 PM   #4
felipito

Thanks for your replies, but i am located in the Dominican Republic, and it is very hard to get a hold of powder to reload here, and this powder is from my dads and he is pretty sure which is which, i just want to double check it.

I had used it many times a couple of years ago, but i dont remember which one is which, they are in great condition both of them.

Can JEPP send me a picture of your 452AA so i can see it...

Thanks....
Old March 2, 2013, 11:59 PM   #5
Mal H
Staff

Normally, your question is one we wouldn't touch, but it seems your situation is somewhat special. I can believe good powders are hard to come by, and you wouldn't want to discard it.

I have both of those powders and can only give you the appearance of them. Fortunately, the color of each is quite different. The color of 452AA is light, and almost silvery. The color of 473AA is much darker, almost black, but when some grains catch the light, it is a little grayer. Presumably, because 473 is a slower burning powder, the darker color is caused by more carbon inhibitor added to the mix.

The grain shape and size is very similar for both, so you can't go on that.

Do the colors I described match the colors of the powders you have? If not, then ignore the above. Make no assumptions based on it.
Old March 3, 2013, 08:26 AM   #6
felipito

Thanks for your reply.

can it be possible for you to send me a picture? so i can compare it...also i posted a picture, do they look like yours?
in mine, i have one that looks like silver and one that is greener or yellowish.

I can send you a more better picture or can you send me a picture?

email is....

[email protected]
Old March 3, 2013, 10:09 AM   #7
Mal H
Staff

No, I'm not going to try sending a picture. Not because I can't or don't want to, but you can't compare powders by pictures. Color rendition using various monitors cannot be trusted enough to help you make a decision on which is which.

The yellowish powder sounds like plain nitrocellulose without any inhibitor coating, so it would most likely be the faster burning powder. When you say the other one is silver, is it grayish silver?
Old March 3, 2013, 07:37 PM   #8
felipito

yes one is yellowis/greenish color and the other one is silver looking color...i understand your concern about sending or posting a picture, but i will have my own consequences of which is which and what i do with it, please dont worry, i have been reloading with each for long time.
and it is simple one of them used about 21.5gr for 1200fps and the other about 23.5gr for 1200fps for 1 1/8 shot weight.

I dont want to load all of them with 21.5gr and have some shotsells with 1200 fps and some with about 1100 or 1075fps.

i have the old books and that is what they say.

So again i understand if you dont send it, but i again ask you to please send it to me on my own risk.

[email protected]