The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 18, 2011, 09:21 AM   #1
longfellow

Varminting with the 270

I have the above cartridge in a commercial Mauser (Husky) with much life left in the barrel but have little use for this much case. I shoot chucks and targets only. I'd perfer to get some use out of the barrel before rebarreling to a smaller case such as the 257R, but I need to shoot low-moderate recoil loads (comfort). Given the unanimous recommendation to fill the case as near as possible for optimum accuracy, and other such comments like the 270 being most accurate with the 130's, how do you folks find your 270's shoot with loads in the moderate range and bullets at the low end - for example about 2700-2900 f/s with 90 grain pills?
Thanks,
Ed
Old May 18, 2011, 01:11 PM   #2
FrankenMauser

I use Speer 100 gr HPs in my .270 Win as a varmint load. They are incredibly destructive. The "red mist" factor rivals the .22-250 and .220 Swift with 4,000+ fps 40 gr HPs. Recoil is very light in most rifles. With my load (very hot, over 3,500 fps), I am getting groups of about 1" at 100 yards. If I back off my powder charge, I can close that to 1/2" or better. ...But 1" @ 100 yards is good enough "minute of prairie dog" for me, out to 300 yards (ranges over 300 yards are fairly uncommon where I shoot sod poodles).

I've tried Speer (TNT) and Sierra 90 gr HPs, Speer 100 gr HPs, and Hornady 110 gr HPs. The Speer 100 gr "Bucket Mouth" HP gave better accuracy and terminal performance. One of my brothers uses the Hornady 110 gr V-Max, and claims they provide an improvement over the 100 gr HP (accuracy and terminal performance - he has used both).

Bulky powders can help maintain consistency with many cartridges (not just the .270 Win), but it's generally not required. Some of my best loads in .270 Win only have 85-90% fill (my most recent 140 gr development has less than 80% fill). Sometimes burn rate and temperature tolerance trump fill ratio.
Old May 18, 2011, 01:19 PM   #3
SRH78

I haven't personally shot anything lighter than 130 but several years ago, I loaded up some 100 grain bullets for a coworker and he said they were a lot more accurate than the heavier factory loads he had been shooting. I am sure some of the guys on here will have some advice that is actually helpfull but I would suggest just trying some lighter loads and see what works in your gun.
Old May 18, 2011, 11:01 PM   #4
BIG P

The 90gr.pills on yotes & grounds are very destructive no way to keep hides more or less sausage & red vapor.But it gets the job done with light recoil the muzzle blast is a little tuff.
Old May 19, 2011, 06:36 PM   #5
cornbush

I'll second the Speer HP, not the TNT, just the 100 gr hollow point.
I have literally cut a couple red foxes in half with that bullet at about 3300 to 3400 fps.
On prairie dogs and the like its pure red mist with a couple chunks thrown in just for fun.