The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 11, 2011, 03:50 PM   #1
JKump

My Turkey journy....

This is the year. My journey, Turkey hunting started 4 years ago. I hunt with a seasoned turkey hunter with over 20 years experience, with that being said the first 2 years (which I went about 5 or 6 times each season) I did not see a bird. We heard them and tried to work them in but no luck. Last year, I started going more often and had twp birds come in, completely missed the first and the second I rolled him at 45 yards and he go up and ran off, followed a blood trail for 5 hours and found no bird. This year, things changed, I started off this season by calling in two long beards, which came into about 45 yards and then busted me (I moved). I hunted two to three time each week. Well then last week, was the week.
It started off like we always start, at daybreak owl hoot and strike the turkey on the roost. We moved down a dirt road and set up around 50 yards from him. Started calling and then the hens showed up. We lost the bird when he hit the ground. So we move down the road to where it meets another dirt road. While my hunting partner was hearing the call of nature, I spot 3 birds about 35 yards from us, 2 hens and a Jake. We freeze up and they move off. While standing there, we spot several (7 or 9) Jakes working their way towards us. We ease down and set up, started calling and then heard a gobble. We called for about 10 minutes and nothing. My partner comes up to me and eases over to the road to get a look. Once there he ducks down next to a pine and points down the little hill raising 2 fingers saying birds coming. I get ready, and then off to my left in tall grass I see a head pop up and then another and then another. Three birds, I get the signal to shoot and I aim for the tallest head. Boom and 5 birds flew up into the air, I thought I missed again, But then the grass starts moving, bird on the ground flopping. We walk up and then find two birds. They where Jakes, but 2 birds with 1 shot to get my first turkey, what more can I say…..;~)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0502110756.jpg (64.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 0502110755a.jpg (68.5 KB, 26 views)

"Everyone has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth".
Old May 12, 2011, 05:10 AM   #2
sxm1

Great job

Congratulations. Turkey hunting is the most fun and frustrating thing a man can do.
Old May 13, 2011, 02:15 AM   #3
bamaranger

ruined

You are likely ruined for life.

Old Ben Rogers Lee said in one of his early tapes that "you'll turkey hunt 'till you die" and I believe he was right.

Also......"a man needs two things if he's gonna turkey hunt, a good wife and a good job, otherwise he'll lose'em both!"