The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 6, 2011, 04:31 PM   #1
Daekar

22LR & 30-30 Gun Set: T/C Contender for TOO?

I've been trying to work out a 4-gun set for practical hunting in the event that I need to put meat on the table. I already have half the equation: two fine 22lr, one Ruger Mark III Hunter (soon to be a Mark 2.5) and a CZ 452 Lux (28" barrel). Those should be more than sufficient for hunting small critters. However, I'm missing the medium-game components of the set. The idea is to set out to hunt small game with the 22 and carry the medium pistol for medium targets of opportunity, and carry the medium rifle with the 22 pistol for the same. I noticed that Thompson Center sells a single-shot 30-30 pistol that I could carry with the 22, and a Marlin 336 carried with the Ruger. Questions about the T/C:

Has anybody been able to find peep sights for it?
I know you can get barrels from different companies... any recommendations, or do they come with good barrels?
Is it possible to get a 10" barrel for T/C? They didn't have one on their website.

I would prefer to minimize necessary reloading gear, which is the reason for the rifle caliber in a pistol. I should be able to load spitzers for the pistol and stick with round or flat nose in the carbine.

General opinions on this concept?
Old April 6, 2011, 04:56 PM   #2
M.O.A.

yes the 30-30 is ok but i would go with the 35 rem. in the encore its just a little better in my mined but if your stuck on the 30-30 i would load the hornady FTX they seem to shoot better in lever guns
Old April 6, 2011, 04:59 PM   #3
PawPaw

Williams makes a peep sight for the Contender. MidwayUSA lists it for $37.99.

Thompson Center makes good barrels. I've never seen a .30-30 in the 10 inch length, most of them are 14", but there's no reason why a gunsmith couldn't chop one down to 10" for you.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old April 6, 2011, 05:55 PM   #4
Lawyer Daggit

I have a TC carbine with .22LR, 223 and 30-30 Ackley imp barrels. I have a preference for the 30-30 AI with 125gn ballistic tips.

Sorry, I don't use peeps on mine. I think TC make a peep to fit.
Old April 6, 2011, 11:35 PM   #5
Ideal Tool

Hello, Instead of carrying all those various shootin irons, why not just buy a Drilling? 20 0r 12ga.SXS, .30-30 underneath & .22 to one side?
Old April 7, 2011, 12:30 AM   #6
Daekar

I did a google search for Drilling rifle and came up with some interesting things! Thanks for the suggestion, but that's not really what I'm looking for. See, if I got a drilling, then I wouldn't be able to give the guns I'm not using to others for them to use. Plus... I like the idea of having the lever action Marlin for follow up shots on bigger game, just in case I don't do it right the first time.
Old April 7, 2011, 11:53 AM   #7
Mainah

Give any thought to a .410?
Old April 7, 2011, 03:32 PM   #8
Daekar

Ermmm.... no... should I have? I decided on the 30-30 because it had a flatter trajectory than 44Mag and seeing as I am only a fair shot I want that for sure! A 410 wouldn't have near the effective range with slugs that a 30-30 would have, right?

I guess what I really want to know is what everybody thinks of the Encore/Contender for targets of opportunity and opinions on how difficult it is to carry whole out in the woods. A proper holster is a must, of course.
Old April 7, 2011, 09:45 PM   #9
aaalaska

I have TC's, and have played around with them since 73. First if you don't plan on going bigger at some point I would go with the contender, they are a little lighter, and most people that shoot mine prefer them to the Encore. Second ,what barrel length are you looking at, it makes a difference in how best to carry ,and for most how accurate they are.Third the 30-30 is a good choice it is flatter shooting than the 44, but when I lived in Pa I made many groundhog kills at 100 yrds with a 10 in 44 contender, I had a 30-30 barrel for years, but after getting one in 35 Rem I just about quit using the 30-30. fourth if you might want more power remember the calibers above are about the contender frames limits, while the Encore will take more than any shooter I know.
Alex
Old April 8, 2011, 12:36 AM   #10
Daekar

aaalaska:
1) No, I don't anticipate going any bigger. I might at some point get a smaller faster round for little critters, but I can't see myself wanting more power from a pistol unless I somehow lose all my other guns.

2) I'm looking at 10" and 12" depending on what I can find. Right now I'm thinking I prefer the 10" version.

3) I'm planning on getting a 30-30 Marlin too, and reloading for both guns. The prevalence of 30 cal bullets and 30-30 brass are important to me.

Hopefully I'll be able to use faster burning powder to keep the velocity up in the shorter barrel.
Old April 8, 2011, 05:32 AM   #11
phil mcwilliam

I thought most people that carried a Thompson Contender pistol did so instead of carrying a rifle. If you want to carry a rifle & pistol I would think a Thompson Contender a bit cumbersome. I use to carry a S&W 629 with an 8 inch barrel, together with a rifle & found this to be a bit on the large side. Wouldnt want to go larger with a handgun ,especially when carrying a rifle.

Last edited by phil mcwilliam; April 8, 2011 at 08:00 AM.
Old April 8, 2011, 11:30 AM   #12
davlandrum

How about a 1-gun set for

Quote:
practical hunting in the event that I need to put meat on the table
It is a pretty cool invention called a shotgun...throw some slugs in one pocket, throw some shotshells in the other pocket and call it good.

You are not going to want to carry a contender and a long gun. I tried carrying a rifle and my 8 3/8 SW 460 a couple of times and it was not worth it...

I think you are so over-thinking this - long gun medium caliber, pistol .22 and call it good. Why would you carry a long gun .22 and then try and come up with a medium caliber pistol?

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old April 8, 2011, 01:40 PM   #13
aaalaska

I understand the reason for the 30-30 and it is a good idea, 30-30 brass is always out there. the 10 in carries well in an uncle mikes shoulder holster. As for the need to carry two guns ,that is personal ,you'll have to decide if it's worth the trouble, for most it's not. But I always seem to have a 22 and something else,over 20 years ago I found myself way to close to a brown bear armed with only a 22, while nothing happened, I never want to feel that under gunned again, and having the 22 is nice, I once took 8 ptarmigan out of a flock with the contender 22, a good bonus on a caribou hunt.Nearly every day I have chances at small game during big game hunts here, and head shots with a 22 are as sporting as any wing shooting I've ever done.
Alex
Old April 8, 2011, 08:35 PM   #14
Daekar

As for carrying two guns, I'm operating on the premise that I won't be the only one trying to feed my family, and deer are going to get pretty scarce pretty quick around here. Most likely, the majority of my hunting would be done with the 22. The 30-30 pistol will be for encounters like aaalaska had with a bear and for taking a deer in the event that I'm lucky enough to find one. It's almost guaranteed I would find birds, squirrels, rabbits, etc, all of which are fine for the 22.

Just to clarify, according to the old-timers that have been living here since the opening of the 20th century (last one just died a few weeks ago - spunky woman with a twinkle in her eye) the most important rifle they had was a 22. My wife's grandmother routinely head-shotted squirrels for dinner... I figure that's not a bad thing to aspire to. Let's face it, not every hunt is going to be for larger game.

Last edited by Daekar; April 8, 2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old April 9, 2011, 12:49 AM   #15
aaalaska

If your looking at feeding your family, in a bad situation, the guns will work to a point. But if that's what your looking for ,learn to use snares their cheap, easy to make ,easy to set, and they work for you 24/7 , you can only be in the woods so much.
Alex
Old April 9, 2011, 08:12 AM   #16
Daekar

yes, I've seen snares mentioned several times on other threads as well. I think they were described in my Boyscout Handbook, but I haven't seen that book in 10 years. Heaven only knows where it got to. I would like to find information on how to make various snares so I can use them to catch critters that go after the garden.... but I don't think anybody I know remembers how to make them anymore. As you said, you can only be out in the woods but so much. I think a google search is in order, and perhaps a book purchase or two.
Old April 9, 2011, 12:50 PM   #17
aaalaska

Check out the snare shop, their catalog is worth viewing.
Alex
Old April 30, 2011, 11:30 PM   #18
Jack O'Conner

For several decades, I've been reading that 35 Remington is better than 30-30. I assume this means that the animal is killed deader. But how does one calculate dead, deader, deadest, and so forth? Please educate me on this subject.

This red stag weighed well over 300 lbs after field dressing. No armor plating was observed. 30-30 is a KEEPER!
Jack

Old May 1, 2011, 08:43 PM   #19
taylorce1

Everything has been pretty much covered but I have to ask why you want a peep sight on a pistol? I would put a red dot on it or something similar. Peep sights work best with the eye ball close to them, not something you want in a pistol that is going to buck. A 10" .30-30 is going to jump a bit.
Old May 2, 2011, 05:35 PM   #20
aaalaska

I never said the 35 rem was better than the 30-30 , just that I had both and never use the 30-30 , anymore,and in fact sold it at the last gun show here. Why the preference, not sure i can say , maybe cause , all three 35 rem barrels I've shot were more accurate than the 30-30. But not that much, or maybe the felt recoil seemed less to me.I have other 30-30's and the contender is the only 35 rem I own right now, and I'm still not sure why but I know I'll keep this one till I leave it to my kids.
Alex