The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 10, 2009, 07:54 PM   #1
Mark7282

.40 Cal with SWC

I recently purchased 1000 rounds of 170 gr Lead SWC and 500 rounds of Lead SWC. I am frustated that I cannot get either loads to feed properly in my Ruger P94. I have loaded thousands of rounds with various other weights and styles of bullets with no problem. These SWC's I just can't seem to nail down. Tried various loads with different powders thinking that my loads were too weak to operate the slide properly. I reall think it is my OAL I have tried to stick to the published OAL's of .115 and .113. I have tried Bullseye,#2,HP-38 and Unique. I am getting frustrated and could use some advice from those that know so if you have any to share I would appreciate the help.The ejection seems to be fine it is the chambering and feeding that SEEMS to be the problem. Thanks in advance for any tips.
Old June 11, 2009, 07:55 AM   #2
Sam06

I can think of a few things that may be hanging that gun up;

1. The bullet Shape is important in an Autoloader. Your gun may not like the shape of the SWC. There is not much you can do about that. Try seating the bullet in a little deeper to change the COAL.

2. The bullet may be too large in Dia. They should be .401-.403" I hope you did not buy 41 Mag bullets at .410.

3. Check that you are not crimping them too much. They dont need all that much of a roll crimp.

4. This goes back to #1 check to see that they are not hanging up in the Magazine. Like they might be too long and are rubbing on the front of the mag.

5. Clean the gun and the Chamber thoroughly.

Last, load them a little hotter. I am not a reloader of the 40, nor do I have any Ruger Auto's so I don't know your loads or gun well at all, but sometimes a gun just does not like light loads. You may have to go with a lighter recoil spring. Wolff sells packs of them that you can change out and try.
Old June 11, 2009, 09:54 PM   #3
tpareloader

On my .40sw I go with an OAL of 1.125"
Old June 12, 2009, 12:00 AM   #4
Mark7282

Sam thanks for taking the time.

1. I ran a series of dummy rounds through by hand repeatedly and studied the entry into the chamber. The rim of the brass caught sometimes as it entered teh chamber. The shape of the SWC does not aid in "ramping" the cartridge into the chamber. Not every time but enough to raise the issue.So I think you are right to a degree.

2. I always check my diameter and these are .401, found a few out of a hundred that were lower at .395 or so but not over.

3. I was a little agressive on the crimp...

4.Mag seemed okay but since you raise the point I am going to double check the fit and release.

5. Good point. I work the P94 pretty hard and it is due so I hope it helps.

I did load some hotter loads and it helped clear the ejection issues but the feed issue was still there. The P94 does not like light loads.

I appreciate your input. Every little bit helps. I will be at the range tomorrow night implementingyou tips.....
Old June 12, 2009, 07:33 AM   #5
Sam06

Not a problem mark. I thought of something else. Check the Magazine spring also. It might be a little weak. Most failures in and Auto loader can be traced to either the Magazine or the ammo.

Good luck
Old June 12, 2009, 09:30 AM   #6
BobMcG

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpareloader
On my .40sw I go with an OAL of 1.125"
Ditto.
Old June 12, 2009, 09:41 AM   #7
ZeSpectre

One thing I learned early on is that if you overcrimp lead SWC you can "smoosh" them (like toothpaste out of a tube) resulting in a small "overhang" over the rim and then nothing will feed right.

My over-exaggerated drawing to demonstrate my point.