The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 27, 2008, 08:40 PM   #1
BerettaFox

Is this a stupid way to clean brass

I got bored tonight and ran a hundred or so rounds of dirty brass through the dishwasher, stopped it before it hit the dry cycle, and made sure the vast majority of the water was out of all of them if they got flipped upside down, then let it do the dry cycle. Is this bad for the casings, as in corrosion or maybe lead poisoning? or has nobody ever thought of this before? I just put them in the bottom thingy in which the silverware is normally put for cleaning. What's this sound like to you? STUPID or SMART?
Old April 27, 2008, 08:48 PM   #2
okiefarmer

It's really not going to hurt it IMO, but doubt it will do much more than get the big mud chunks off the brass if you dropped it in a puddle at the range. Don't think soap does much to brass, but if dried promptly it won't corrode wither if that is what you are worrying about. You can always put them in the oven for a few minutes on low heat to dry out completely, leave the door open like making jerky.

Clean brass does more to prevent wear to dies than it does in accuracy (if any) of the round, clean vs tarnished. It's all aesthetics (sp)
Old April 27, 2008, 09:19 PM   #3
farnorthdan

I was my fired brass by hand in the sink with soap and water, then put on a rack in the dryer until dry. I then throw them in the tumbler with wallnut and cap full of mineral spirits. Once they have tumbled clean I wash them again in sink with soap and water and dry, then resize/deprime ......

Accuracy is king,penatration is queen but why not jack'em in the process if you can.
Old April 27, 2008, 09:23 PM   #4
totalloser

I would note the possibility of lead from the primers contaminating your dishes if you use it for anything else. I wouldn't do it for fear of being poisoned. I got poisoned by lead from welding on steel with a lead based paint, and it was NO FUN.
Old April 28, 2008, 08:10 AM   #5
HJ857

I also clean brass using the wet method in a rock tumbler. I use the dual drum tumbler from harbor freight. Been working great other than a couple broken drive belts.

For 9mm brass I just throw a bunch in each drum (nearly full), add a few drops of dishwashing liquid and a teaspoon of lemon juice, tumble for 30 minutes. Put them all in a large plastic colander and rinse. Then size and decap while still wet. Then back into the tumbler with less soap and more juice. Tumble for an hour, rinse and then on a pizza pan in the oven at 150 degrees for 90 minutes - done.

Rifle brass is the same except I size and decap using a liquid spray lube first, and then the two washes. Having the primer hole open really helps clean out the pocket.

This keeps the residue out of any sensitive area such as a dishwasher or a washing machine.

The brass comes out with a lustre sort of finish and not a polished shiny finish.
Old April 28, 2008, 09:11 AM   #6
jmorris

I wash my hands between reloading and eating or drinking. I guess I wouldn’t need to if I mixed the two. I’d say two thumbs down.
Old April 28, 2008, 10:47 AM   #7
davlandrum

Quote:
so rounds of dirty brass through the dishwasher
I would be killed by the slowest, most painful method my wife could dream up if I was caught doing that....

Dang you for putting that idea in my head.....

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old April 28, 2008, 10:54 AM   #8
BerettaFox

I know, I poked around for a few minutes just to see others innovative ideas on washing casings.... I didn't go as far as plugging "dishwasher casings" or anything like that into a search. But I figured if it went really bad, it was only a hundred casings.
Old April 28, 2008, 11:28 AM   #9
AlaskaMike

Quote:
I would note the possibility of lead from the primers contaminating your dishes if you use it for anything else.
I don't think that would happen, probably even if you threw the brass in with the dishes. If it's something that worries you, just run the dishwasher empty once before you load it with dishes.

I wash my plastic loading blocks in the dishwasher without any worries at all. I just make sure I do it when my wife is out of the house.

Mike
Old April 28, 2008, 01:20 PM   #10
DWARREN123

I just clean in a tumbler with corn cob media, works for me.
Old April 28, 2008, 06:10 PM   #11
Rustynuts

Not sure if I'd trust the dishwasher soap, it's pretty caustic I think with metals. I just hand wash mine in a big bucket and some mild soap and washing soda, rinsed and briefly hit with some vinegar in the water to brighten them up and rinsed again. Dried then tumbled.
Old April 28, 2008, 09:03 PM   #12
stinger

I guess I'm weird...

I put my cases in the tumbler, let it run for a couple of hours, then take them out.

I guess I'm doing it wrong.

Guys, buy a stinking tumbler. You are wasting time and/or money if you are doing it any other way.
Old April 28, 2008, 09:28 PM   #13
achey

Thanks for saying it Stinger. Now I don't have to.

achey
Old April 29, 2008, 02:10 AM   #14
Oberg

Yeah I agree with you last two.. alot less work and alot less time. and no chance of killing yourself. K.I.S.S. "Keep It Simple Stupid"
Old April 29, 2008, 09:24 AM   #15
AlaskaMike

Quote:
Not sure if I'd trust the dishwasher soap, it's pretty caustic I think with metals.
Not at all. Lots of black powder shooters clean their pistols (even blued steel) in their dishwashers after removing the grips. My carbon steel knives also do just fine in the dishwasher, not to mention my stainless steel, aluminum and copper pots and pans.

The water is more of a risk than the soap.

That said, I DO use a tumbler--they're cheap and the least amount of effort compared to any other method of cleaning brass.

Mike
Old April 30, 2008, 09:02 AM   #16
BigV

Wow, … Washing brass in the dishwasher seems to be a waste of soap, hot water and electricity.
Washing them by hand will give you dish-pan-hands and the hot water could shrink up your brass.
If you wash them in your clothes washing machine, make sure you sort your brass and wash each caliber separately. You don’t want all your brass stained pink….
Old April 30, 2008, 09:52 AM   #17
50 shooter

Dishwasher works good for .50 stuff as you can place them on all the little pins that stick up to hold the dishes.

No time for rearranging.
Old April 30, 2008, 06:34 PM   #18
Dan31

Outside of what you guys have been doing, I just put about 50 or so cases in a bowl and fill it with fabric softener just enough to cover them all. It cleans them in a couple days[ I have plenty of time to wait for them to be cleaned] and when they get clean the dirt floats to the top. I can reuse it for about 150 cases before I need to change it.
Old May 1, 2008, 08:19 AM   #19
thallub

There is no stupid way to clean cases. If it works for you that is all that matters. Went to work in a quarry when I retired from the Army. They had those big rock sorting screens that shook like mad. Put my brass in a bucket with corncob media and wired it to a screen. In about three hours the brass was squeaky clean.
Old May 1, 2008, 05:35 PM   #20
Groucho

Alkali or ammonia detergent could cause the brass to weaken...
Old May 2, 2008, 02:34 PM   #21
rn22723

The OP needs really not be so lazy! Can we say Lead residue? Not in this boy's home!
Old May 2, 2008, 02:59 PM   #22
The Lovemaster

I'm with Stinger and Achey, apparently I use an odd method too - Petsmart walnut bird bedding media, a capful of Nufinish every other load, and a used dryer softener sheet cut into six pieces. I use the NRA recipe (vinegar, water, salt, laundry (or is it dish?) soap) for removing tarnish.
Old May 2, 2008, 03:08 PM   #23
Grandpa Shooter

You guys got it all wrong. Take a small butter dish, attach it to the side of the hamster exercise wheel, put your media and brass in and watch the hamsters get a kick out of running it around for you. Only takes a couple of days to get a dozen or so pieces clean!
Old May 3, 2008, 01:00 AM   #24
Inspector3711

My wife would strangle me in my sleep if she found brass in her $600 dishwasher! Although... I do know it is one of the better ways to clean a disassembled 4bbl carb (DON"T TELL HER!!)! I saw a post above about Harbor Freight tumblers and their ability to burn through drive belts. I found out before I bought mine that this can be a problem and, in fact, the belt snapping can break the blades on the plastic cooling fan. Before buying a "cheapo" tumbler that eats belts and cooling fans I decided to see if there was a solution. Research revealed that Loretone tumblers have at least some parts that are interchangeable. loretone is pretty high end in a rock polisher compared to Harbor Freight. Their belts cost a couple bucks more (around $5) but don't break nearly as often and they have a metal replacement fan that fits too. A url for these parts:

https://shop.rocks4u.com/index.asp

All you have to do it let them know which tumbler (3 lb single or 3lb X2) you need parts for. While you're at it look at the three gallon tumbler! I could clean some brass in that bad boy! $389 though.
Old May 3, 2008, 05:37 AM   #25
saudst

Tumbler

50 Shooter, it took me a couple of min. to stop laughing from that photo. That, for some reason was funny as heck to me. I guess for 50's, that would be a reasonable way to do it but man you killed me

Baretta, buy a tumbler and you'll save on your water bill and electric.