The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 9, 2007, 12:56 AM   #1
New_Pollution1086

Safari Arms 1911

I was just paying rent when my apt manager who i shoot with on occasion said hey you turn 21 soon i got a gun you need to look at. he went on to tell me about his buddys safari arms 1911 he said it was all skeletoned out which im not sure what that means, he also said it had a laser and a scope, and all this for $525.
so my question is should i buy this pistol.

im working on getting pictures which i wll post as soon as i get them.

T
- T. Boone Pickens
Old October 9, 2007, 01:11 AM   #2
FS2K

If you like it, I don't see why not...

Isn't the Safari Arm's 1911's the ones with the Square trigger guards and a single finger groove on the frame?
My buddy's 1911 is built on one of these frames and it's quite comfortable to shoot (for me). Not really for the traditional 1911 fan, but from what I can tell no difference than any other 1911 type frame except for looks.
Old October 9, 2007, 08:14 AM   #3
pistolet1

I found a full page ad for them in an issue of Soldier of Fortune from January '79. Therer were two models: a short Commander sized gun, (named the Enforcer), and a 1911 full size target match model. They were all steel, your choice of Teflon or satin hard chrome finish, ring hammer, beavertail safety, extended slide and thumb safeties, and adjustable sights.
M-S Safari Arms, located in Tempe, AZ, touted their pistols as being a semi-custom .45, where the prospective buyer could order up the options that they wanted, and Safari Arms would build it that way.
I don't think they were very successful as I don't ever recall seeing any for sale, either at gun shops or shows. Last thing I remember, is the company folded and Olympic Arms bought everything and offered some complete guns for a while. Then I think they stopped making the Enforcer line altogether, and offered only some of the custom parts, like the beavertail safety and extended slide release, for sale.
I believe they were decent enough guns, just maybe their marketing approach didn't work out the way they thought it would.
Old October 9, 2007, 09:40 AM   #4
pistolet1

I've got an update to the Safari Arms story. While looking through my old gun magazines, I came across a Safari Arms ad from 1992. Now located in Olympia, WA,(Olympic Arms); they were showing their Enforcer pistol, with the claim that their barrels were accurate with groups of 1.5" groups at 50'. In the back section of the magazine was an index of current production handguns. Three models were shown for Safari Arms: the Enforcer, the Matchmaster, and the Matchmaster Compensated. The last gun was listed as having an available 6" barrel, fitted with a fully shrouded compensator. Price on it was listed as $1150. The other two retailed for a little under $700. I found one other listing for them a year later, and after that, nothing else.