The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 17, 2007, 09:25 PM   #1
eon_shift

Am I missing anything?

Below is a list of products im looking to buy to start reloading I would appreciate if anyone could let me know what im missing and give their advice on the products I have chosen people who have used the items experiences would be greatly apreciated.

Lee Hand Press
Lee Improved Powder Measure Kit
Lee Safety Magnetic Powder Scale 100 Grain Capacity
Lee Auto Prime Hand Priming Tool
Lee RGB 2-Die Set 30-06 Springfield
Lee Auto Prime Shellholder
Lee Universal Shellholder Lee Powder Funnel 22 to 45 Caliber
Frankford Arsenal Dial Caliper 6" Stainless Steel
Old April 17, 2007, 09:42 PM   #2
MDman

maybe a tumbler to clean the cases.
Old April 17, 2007, 10:37 PM   #3
rwilson452

I still think that that hand press is not a good press to start with. You going to wish you had three hands.
Old April 17, 2007, 10:45 PM   #4
Shane Tuttle
Staff

"I still think that that hand press is not a good press to start with. You going to wish you had three hands."

I agree with that. Spend just a few bucks and at least get the challenger press. It gave me many years of faithful service before I recently bought a RockChucker Supreme(finally).

You forgot the most important item(s). BOOKS
1. ABC's of Reloading-IMHO the best for beginners. It's an easy read that won't engulf you.
2. Lyman's, Speer's, or Lee's reloading books are valuable. Get one and pick up the other's in the future as budget allows.

www.midwayusa.com will be your next favorite website...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old April 17, 2007, 11:36 PM   #5
benedict1

Totally agree on the Challenger Press. For about $10-15 more you can have a single stage press that you can mount on a board and clamp to a table so you have a steady working platform. That press will last a long, long time.
Old April 18, 2007, 02:10 AM   #6
dirty habit

Challenger press is great, ive had mine for coupla years now, solid, smooth and reliable. Youd prob want to grab a few case care bits and pieces too, trimmer, primer pocket cleaner etc...but the best piece of reloading gear you can get is "ABC s of Reloading"
Old April 18, 2007, 07:19 AM   #7
Randy_che

If that's what you're planning on getting, then get the Lee Anniversary Kit. It will have all of that stuff (except for the hand press, it comes with the Challenger press instead) and some of the case care tools and the book. Then add the Lee trim mandril/base holder for 30/06 and the mouth cutting tool (with the ball end) and some imperial die wax and you are ready to roll. The kit is less $ than the sum of the individual pieces.
Old April 18, 2007, 07:53 AM   #8
Castaway

If your heart is set on the hand press, trade the powder measure for a dipper set. Don't know how you plan to use the hand press, they do have their place, but a bench press is more practical, although I had a buddy that used his hand press in his truck between security checks.
Old April 18, 2007, 06:27 PM   #9
eon_shift

Thanks for all the feed back and i can see you guys are pretty much all against the hand press im leaning toward it because of space and i dont think my mom is going to let me mount a press to the desk in my room

also would a chamfering tool be a good idea im really just looking for the basics to get started but i dont want to have to keep going back to the store to get things i forgot.
oh and almost forgot a trimmer that would be for when the cases get to long right?
Old April 18, 2007, 06:36 PM   #10
Shane Tuttle
Staff

You can get a portable press from Midway. It's real small if space is a concern. It also breaks down to store.

Something to consider so you can have the best of both worlds...

Old April 18, 2007, 06:38 PM   #11
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Sorry, I meant a portable BENCH.

"oh and almost forgot a trimmer that would be for when the cases get to long right?"

Correct. Especially useful for rifle cases such as the .22-250...

Old April 18, 2007, 08:44 PM   #12
eon_shift

All of this equipment would for loading 30-06 are there any special concerns for this cartridge or pieces of equipment
Old April 18, 2007, 08:49 PM   #13
Randy_che

"i dont think my mom is going to let me mount a press to the desk in my room"

Bolt the press to a piece of 2"x8" or 2"x10" lumber about 8" long. Use C-clamps to clamp the board to your desk. Make sure that the ends of the bolts do not protrude past the bottom of the board by countersinking them with a drill bit or by using T-nuts. Put a folded towel between the board and the desk surface before you clamp. That should eliminate the possibility of scratching, and allow you to have a removable press.
Old April 18, 2007, 08:54 PM   #14
eon_shift

thanks for the tip
Old April 20, 2007, 08:12 PM   #15
rickh

Quote:
also would a chamfering tool be a good idea im really just looking for the basics to get started but i dont want to have to keep going back to the store to get things i forgot.
oh and almost forgot a trimmer that would be for when the cases get to long right?
Yes it would and thats half the fun of reloading!
Trimmer, if you got a portable drill the lee trimmers are hard to beat.
Rick H...
Old April 21, 2007, 03:31 PM   #16
44 AMP
Staff

Besides reloading books

I didn't see loading blocks on your list. You are going to want one (two is better). They are cheap. You might want a primer pocket cleaner. You can buy one (cheap) or make one (cheapest).

I don;t know much about LEE equipment, I have a couple of their dies sets, but all my other stuff is RCBS or Lyman. The RCBS hand primer uses the same shellholder as the press.

I have never heard of a 100gr scale. It must be cheap. Standard scales go to about 500gr capacity. A 100gr capacity scale will do ok for your .30-06 powder charges, but what if you want to weigh some bullets?

Lots of people start out with LEE equipment, because it is the lowest cost, and does work. BUT, it generally takes more work then other brands. And, as time goes on, you might want to "upgrade". Reloading equipment generally doesn't wear out with normal use and care. I would recommend spending a little more money up front and getting better stuff, which will also last for decades. Some of my stuff is over 40 years old, and works as well as the day I got it. If you can afford it, I would go with something better than LEE. But if you can't, LEE will still get you started in handloading.

OH, yeah, you didn't list case lube. Very important! Last thing you want is to tear the rim off a case, leaving it stuck in the sizer die! RCBS makes a stuck case remover (drill, tap, screw & wrench) which will get you back in business if you do get a case stuck. Hope you never need it, but if you do, nothing else will work as well. Study the books, take things one step at a time, and don't be afraid to ask questions. I load for more than 25 different calibers, and have been doing it for close to 40 years. I do have a little bit of experience, and would be happy to share info when you have questions.
Good Luck, and enjoy.
Old April 21, 2007, 06:12 PM   #17
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Good thing 44AMP brought up case lube. I like the Lee Case lube that comes with the kit, but I'm going to try to find out where someone sells Imperial? wax. Heard that's good stuff...

Old April 21, 2007, 07:55 PM   #18
CrustyFN

+1 on the Lee case trimmer. I bought the Lee case trimmer for 223, chamfer tool and primer pocket cleaner and I think it was all under $10. I have also been hearing a lot of good things about the Possum Hollow Kwick trimmer and they are around $20. If you are goung to be weighing every charge you might want to measure lite and use a powder trickler to finish your load. I would also suggest a single stage over the hand press.
Rusty
Old April 21, 2007, 10:35 PM   #19
eon_shift

rethought the hand press

ok after all the negative feed back on the hand press I put some more thought in and decided to get the:
-lee anniversary kit
-lee pace setter dies(comes with shell holder)
-lee case length gauge
-frankford arsenal 6" calipers
are you guys proud or what probly not but what do you think of this and im pretty sure that ive got everything covered with this but I wouldnt be to shocked if I missed something so thanks in advance from stopping me from make unnnessecary mistakes.
Old April 22, 2007, 12:09 PM   #20
Shane Tuttle
Staff

"are you guys proud or what probly not but what do you think of this and im pretty sure that ive got everything covered with this but I wouldnt be to shocked if I missed something so thanks in advance from stopping me from make unnnessecary mistakes."

Only thing missing there is some periods and capital letters to follow from time to time.

Looks like a good start. Don't forget to have fun...

Old April 22, 2007, 12:31 PM   #21
eon_shift

Ya I guess I got a little excited
Old April 23, 2007, 02:14 AM   #22
mattgreennra

Alright this is just a personal tip. I originally bought an RCBS rock chucker supreme to learn reloading. After I got the hang of it I went progressive w/ their piggyback system. If you ever want to go progressive you might want to consider buying an RCBS supreme so that you have the option of doing it later for less $$. Also, I find midsouthshooterssupply.com and natchezss.com have the best prices. Hope this helps.