The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 19, 2006, 09:49 PM   #1
areandare

Powder measure question.

I am new to reloading and setting up for first loads and I am having difficulty setting the powder measure correctly. I own a Lee aniversary kit that included the measure tool and if I set the gauge to desired grains and pull the powder and remeasure on the scale it is WAY too heavy of a load. I am probably just doing something wrong, after re-reading all the info on the whole process I am probably missing a small step. My directions stated to adjust scale on measurer to the 3 then turn out 7 more times and set thimble to zero to obtain a 3.7 grain feed. Again when I do it its too heavy. Can anyone please shed some light on this??? This load is for a 357 case loaded to a 38 using w231 powder.Thanks
Old December 19, 2006, 10:22 PM   #2
redhawk41

The Lee powder measure dispenses powder by volume and not weight.

3.7 gr (weight) of W231 is approximately .35 cc (volume). If you look at your Lee manual you will see volume listed in the column next to the grains column.

Try setting the powder measure using the volume value for your powder charge and see if that helps.
Old December 19, 2006, 10:49 PM   #3
areandare

Thanks

Thanks, I knew it was something I had to be overlooking. I get it now.
Old December 19, 2006, 11:29 PM   #4
amamnn

Lee makes at least 3 types of powder measure not counting the dippers. Two of them can be made to work accurately and one, in my and many others humble opinion is not worth the powder to blow it to he**. pun intended. Which do you have? The stand alone measure? The auto disk measure? The pro auto disk measure?
Old December 19, 2006, 11:36 PM   #5
areandare

Stand alone??

I guess that would be the stand alone. It bolts to top of table..Is that the one that isnt any good???
Old December 20, 2006, 07:57 AM   #6
mjrodney

It works, but like all powder measures, it is not perfect and it will be more reliable with some powders than with others.

W231 is one of the more feed friendly powders out there, but nothing in life is foolproof.

Big name progressive press makers (i.e. Dillion, Hornady) give you the option of using a "powder cop" station to automatically check the powder drop for good reason. Squib loads are not fun. Neither are double charges.

Your powder measure being a bench mount and not attached to a turret or progressive press, gives you the advantage of being able to visually check each round for the right amount of powder before you insert the bullet.

Use your eyes every time, and your scale frequently, and you should be fine.
Old December 20, 2006, 10:13 AM   #7
Ausserordeutlich

Use scales to set up the charges you're throwing with that powder measure. Turning the adjustment works differently for different powders.
Old December 20, 2006, 12:05 PM   #8
areandare

I just loaded my first 50 rounds and like suggested double checked load weight frequently. Loking forward to loading many more. Thanks again for all of the advice.