The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 18, 2006, 09:22 PM   #1
T-Bear

,38 Snub pushing 125gr HP

Here is the run down and hopefully all works out.
I've been loading 125 lead FP with 3.7gr bulleye going at 620fps in a Colt Detective Special for the past 2 years.
I've recently picked up some 125gr Hornady XTP and would like to push these around 800-900fps with Bullseye.
But I can't find any data for a snub nose revolver, everything I come up with is 4 or 6" barrel.

I was thinking of starting off with 4.5gr then working up according to the Hornady guide. I know that would be a safe starting point, because that is a starting load they suggested, but alot of powder will be burned on the outside of the barrel.

Maybe other reloaders and safe and reasonable data that can start me off with.

Thank you for any replies
Old December 18, 2006, 11:52 PM   #2
beezaur

What is your barrel length and powder charge for the 125 lead flat points? I'm curious to run it through Quickload and see what comes out. . .

Scott

P.S. I can't read. The charge is right there.
Old December 18, 2006, 11:54 PM   #3
tINY

If it's listed, try it. It'll be safe anyway.

That's an awufuly light bullet to get much velocity out of a 38 snubbie with. Try the fastest powders you can find data for - like bullseye or titegroup.

-tINY

Old December 18, 2006, 11:58 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

"...according to the Hornady guide..." Exactly. Work up the load the same way you did for the cast bullet. Load data is for the cartridge, not the firearm. However, 4.5 grains is near max for a .38 with Bullseye. My Lyman Pistol & Revolver manual gives 3.2 to 5.0 (with the max being a +P) for a 125 grain Hornady HP bullet. 5.0 at 920fps. Your Colt may not be rated for +P's.
Old December 19, 2006, 12:28 AM   #5
T-Bear

Thanks for your replies;
Tiny, I'm not even sure it's possible to get there out of 1 1/4" barrel.
I guess my goals will be too much, I;ll run 4.2gr I;ll settle for 750-800fps
Old December 19, 2006, 12:33 AM   #6
beezaur

Evidently Quickload either does not do revolvers, or I don't know how to make it simulate revolver loads. Too bad. It is very accurate with my rifle loads.

Sorry.

Scott
Old December 19, 2006, 08:38 AM   #7
RERICK

I was just curious as to why your going with the XTP instead something such as Gold Dot? Why I say this is because I did some testing by shooting both into bundles of wet newspaper and while I did get the Gold Dot to expand at the slower 38 special velocitys The XTP did not expand well at all.I too like you am shooting this round out of a Colt snubby.So if your looking for expantion I would take a look at the 135 or 147 grain Gold Dot. If your interested you can find the data at the link below.

http://www.speer-bullets.com/default.asp?s1=5&s2=15
Old December 19, 2006, 10:15 AM   #8
T-Bear

Beezaur, thanks for the trying though. I have hear great information about Quickload and being used as data for rifles.

Rerick, Thanks for the info. I too am a hardcore Gold Dot user, I love them, I use them in my 40 and my 45. But this time, the local shop had a 50% discount on all hornady Bullets so I took advantage and stock up.

I don't plan on using these rounds as PD. But for when I hit the desert and looking for some exra fun. But for PD rounds, it's nothing but Gold dots for me.