The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 30, 1999, 02:23 PM   #1
AR Man

Looking through the latest Cabela's toy catalog I came across Remington replacement barrels. I want to get a short (21")barrel for my 870 to handle slugs and buckshot. They have them listed (page 287) with Rem Choke or what they call "Full Rifle". Can I use the chokes I have for the 28" barrel in this barrel? What is "Full Rifle"? Does that mean the barrel is rifled? Also down below this they have the same barrel listed again but with SP after it. By their legend that means Special Purpose. What's that? Anybody know? Any recomendations are welcome. Thanks.
Old June 30, 1999, 03:19 PM   #2
chucko

I have 3 barrels for my Rem 870

18.5" Smooth Bore
20" Fully Rifled Slug Barrel
26" Smooth Bore, Rem Choke ( with a few chokes )

"Rem Choke" is Remington's proprietary choke standard. There are quite a few of choke standards. The Rem Chokes seem to be readily available and inexpensive.

The "Fully Rifled" barrel is exactly that. Its just like a rifle or pistol barrel and spins the slug for better stability. Some slugs were designed to only be shot from rifled barrels. While is perfectly safe to shoot a slug designed for a rifled barrel out of a smooth barrel, it won't be as accurate. My fully rifled slug barrel shoots great, but those 3" Sabot Slugs kick like a Mule on PCP. Fully rifled barrels do not accept chokes.

If you shoot "shot" through a fully rifled barrel you will end up with a dounut shaped pattern. The rifling will actually spin the shot load, causing it to expand in a ring shape leaving a hole in the middle where almost no pellets hit.

You can buy rifled chokes for your smooth bore barrels. The reports, I have heard about these chokes have been fair, but not great. Imagine the slug being pushed down a smooth barrel at high speed, only to encounter about 1.5" of rifling on the end of the barrel. These are however your best bet if you don't want to have a collection of barrels for your 870.

The August 1998 edition of American Rifleman had a very good 4 page article about slugs and "Smooth Bore VS Rifled Bore".

Hope This Helps

Chuck

[This message has been edited by chucko (edited June 30, 1999).]