The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 25, 2013, 10:28 PM   #1
ScottRiqui

Pedestal instead of a bench?

Anyone here using a pedestal mount for their press, rather than bolting it to a bench?

I was thinking that rather than building a big, heavy, hell-for-stout bench, I'd use a length of box-section steel and two plates, along with some floor anchors. Bulk components, tools, scales etc could be kept on a nearby regular-duty bench or in a cabinet.

Of course, since a pedestal doesn't give you much horizontal storage space, this would make the most sense with a progressive press, where all the components are held in/on the press - powder in the dispenser, cases in a case feeder, primers in tubes, bullets in a bin hanging on one side of the press, and finished rounds going into a bin on the other side of the press.

Any thoughts?
Old February 26, 2013, 08:02 AM   #2
Magnum Wheel Man

My buddy ( a steel fabricator ) built one for his Dillion, even though he put a very heavy base on it, he still ended up having to concrete anchor it to his floor, for enough stability... which he was hoping to not have to drill any holes in his basement floor

so... a bench seems more practical... I think he was hoping to have his moveable to some extent, but it's not so easy now that it's bolted to the floor...
Old February 26, 2013, 08:13 AM   #3
mulespurs

Reloader pedestal

I built what you could call a pedestal mount for my Dillon.
I used 2" square tube 1/4" wall
and a 1/2" plate for the top. The seat is mounted on it so you hold it down and you could freestand it anywhere you want. It might weigh 75 or 80 pounds.
If you want more detail let me know.
Old February 27, 2013, 10:26 AM   #4
+1k ammo

show a picture. I'm new into welding and fabricating and think that would work well.
Im thinking of moving the Dillon 650 up to spare room, but not with the big bench and would need something smaller that did not need to be bolted.
Old February 27, 2013, 02:01 PM   #5
oldpapps

My first 'mounting' system was to 'C' clamp and use 1 bolt to hold my press onto the base of a really old gas pump (one of those with the glass bowl on top and the hand crank that my grand father wore smooth cranking). It was rather heavy and worked very well. I could 'walk-it' about on the concrete to get it into position.
Don't know what ever happened to it. Wish I had it now.

That's sort of a pedestal.

Enjoy,

OSOK
Old February 27, 2013, 02:31 PM   #6
BigJimP

I'm not using a pedastal....over a bench / but you can certainly do it with no problem. Base just needs to be wide enough and heavy enough to be stable ----but there are all kind of mobile tool bases that you could adapt or build to suit your needs....

like some of these....for a big sanding station, or a portable planer.../ and they're moveable.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...12&FORM=IQFRBA

or you could certainly build your own - out of wood as well as steel - put really good heavy duty casters on it.
Old February 27, 2013, 09:41 PM   #7
Saint Dennis

I am. I just have a single stage Rock Chucker. I bought it used. It came with a pedestal. Looks like a comercial deal. Plastic base, chromed steel pipe. Works great. Of course I've only been using it for 20 years that way, so I might change my mind after I get it broke in.
Old February 27, 2013, 09:50 PM   #8
UniversalFrost

i tried to use a pedestal from frankford arsenal for reloading but was a bust...

i still use it for depriming and for other remedial tasks.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old February 28, 2013, 07:32 AM   #9
jj320

Lee makes a small tripod stand check out their sit might give you an idea
Old March 1, 2013, 06:11 PM   #10
flashhole

I've seen pedestal mounts using a 4"x4" vertical shaft with a plate welded to the top and a wall anchor bracket top and bottom for stability. Mounting to the wall was key for use.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old March 1, 2013, 11:40 PM   #11
mulespurs

Reloader stand/pedestal

The pedestal I made is out of 2"x2" x 1/4 wall tube like I said.
The base is in the shape of a tee. This tee is about 30" wide and 36" tall.
Lay this Tee flat on the floor. The mounting post for the loader is about 3' tall or so and welded at the top center of the 30" vertically. On the top of the 2x2 tube/post I welded an 8" x 16" x 1/2 plate kinda centered on the 36"tube. Mounting holes were drilled to mount my Dillon 550.
On the tail of the tee I welded an 18" or so upright to mount my seat on at a comfortable distance from the reloader mounting post.
On top of this seat post I welded another plate for a place to bolt my seat on.

When I set down to load, my weight holds the unit in place. It would freestand on any floor,
If you need more info let me know.
Old March 1, 2013, 11:42 PM   #12
shootniron

First rounds I ever loaded were on a pedestal mounted press...I quickly moved to a bench. A better designed unit would have worked better than the one had.
Old March 2, 2013, 10:18 PM   #13
Colduglandon

I am considering mounting a single stage press to a steel pedestal for an old bubble gum machine with a heavy metal base. I plan to do this during the upcoming week. I will let you know how it works out. Something I can take up from the basement and perform preliminary case prep.

I know a man in NH that mounted a single stage press to a coffee table. His wife was complaining that she did not see him once he started reloading down in the basement. So
Old March 2, 2013, 10:42 PM   #14
flashhole

You can see a nice pedestal mount in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi6o0-sAkLA

Are you ready for civil war?
Old March 3, 2013, 05:03 PM   #15
F. Guffey

I have 4 presses mounted to a steel plate that is mounted to the base of a cream separate, all Herters, starting with the 6 station turret, 2 ram, super 3 and the ā€˜Uā€™. I have 2 presses mounted on a H/D pedestal made for the pedestal grinder. One of the presses is a Dillon 550 B the other is the RCBS rock Chucker.

I have a steel lathe base that was made in the 1870s, no threaded holes. Mounting a press is a matter of attaching the press with large deep clamps.

I do not have a reloading bench, my walls are three feet away.

F. Guffey
Old March 3, 2013, 06:08 PM   #16
BoogieMan

I used an old grinder base. Weighs at least 200lbs and works great. I ended up putting a 22x48 top on it to hold my other stuff. Adding shelves soon.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old March 3, 2013, 06:45 PM   #17
hodaka

A 2X12 bolted to the top of a Harbor Freight grinder stand ($30 I think) works for me. I've got a single stage bolted to one side, a Dillon 550B on the other, with two powder throwers at each end. Easily moves around the room and the storage tray under it is very handy in that you can hang storage bins on the rim.
Old March 3, 2013, 09:44 PM   #18
overthere

Don't know if it is the same as the one hodaka is referring to but this is the one I am using:

http://www.harborfreight.com/adjusta...ion-46725.html

Also with a 2x12 clamped to the top, the press bolted to the 2x12.

The 'bench' is not particularly sturdy and I have a weight on the end opposite the press to prevent it from tipping when I full-size 308 cases.

The trays underneath can be used for holding lightweight items (emphasis on light).

All in all it works, and considering it is $28 (and you can typically find a 20% coupon for HarborFreight) it actually works pretty well.

Still wish I had a real bench but this fits within the space I have available.
Old March 3, 2013, 09:47 PM   #19
SIGSHR

When I moved from a house to an apartment some years ago I used a pedestal mount for my RBCS JR. Worked fine,but after a few years I built a reloading cabinet, that held my pressand gave me a work surface.