The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 13, 2009, 08:22 PM   #1
sthrnfryedyankee

I Have the chance to pick up a

RCBS RC Supreme Master Reloading Kit

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...847&hasJS=true

For $302 shipped from Cabelas, is this a good kit for a beginner. The stores around me sell the same kit for $350-375 so I figured maybe with the extra $$$ I save from getting it through Cabelas I could get 2 or 3 reloading manuals as well. The kit comes with a Speer reloading guide
Old June 13, 2009, 11:43 PM   #2
jamaica

That is an excellent kit, and by a reputable company. You can't go wrong there.

I suggest some calipers to go with the setup. It sure makes it easier to check dimensions. You will also need dies and shell holders for the cartridges you will reload.

I hope you can find some primers. It has been months since I have seen any in this area.
Old June 14, 2009, 12:09 AM   #3
ogree

+1 on the calipers, get a decent metal unit and not the plastic ones that RCBS sells......a cheap set should only run you about $25, but they are more than adequate for handloading.
Old June 14, 2009, 12:29 AM   #4
Shane Tuttle
Staff

That's my single stage. I really like it. Every brand has their pros and cons. But the RCBS is a solid kit.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old June 14, 2009, 12:36 AM   #5
Randy 1911

For a manual I would recommend a Lyman #49 manual. It covers a wide varity of bullets. Speer only covers the bullets they sell. The ABC's of Reloading by Robert Lee is good for beginners. Just remember tha the reloading manuals only cover the bullets the company makes. A good place to learn the basics of reloading is www.ultimatereloader.com there are a lot of good reloading videos on YouTube also.
Old June 14, 2009, 10:29 AM   #6
CrustyFN

It's a very good kit but if you are going to load a lot of pistol ammo it will be slow and get old fast. What calibers do you want to load and how many per week or month do you need?
Rusty
Old June 14, 2009, 09:53 PM   #7
pcguy

Once your reloading on the single stage for a while, it's rather simple to supplement your setup with a lee classic turret press, then pick up a case activated powder adaptor to mount the rcbs powder measure on the turret press and your good to go. relatively cheap upgrades that will double possibly triple your output per hour loading straight wall pistol ammo.