The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 19, 2001, 04:01 PM   #1
Duck

Help with old double barrel shotgun

Mr Nolden a fellow forumite at Bladeforums directed me here in the hope that you might be able to help..The terms I use may not be correct so please bear with me..Here is the copy of my post at bladeforums...Thanks in advance.....Brent

""Awhile back a longtime friend gave me this shotgun as a for the hell of it gift...He said it's been in his closet and that he would never shoot it so he would like me to take it..Said it was his grandfathers on his fathers side who he never like so he really didnt want it anyway.Here's a quick description to aid in its ident..

OAL-46"
Barrel-30"
Weight-?
Gauge-12G shells fit right but there is nothing on the gun saying what gauge..Not sure of the correct terms so please bear with me..

The #17 is stamped into the inside of the forearm,the barrel assembly locking lugs and the lock itself..

What looks to be 12 over the 6 inside of a diamond and 14 over 1 stamped into the barrel assembly by the lugs..

What looks to be two torches forming a X stamped several times into the assembly..

The #29 on the forearm lug and the initals T.B stamped into the barrel underside..

ADDED in edit::Had a brainfart and neglected to remove forearm when listing specs..Several markings but still no SN or gauge..

No serial # can be found anywhere on the gun..I broke it down to give it a good cleaning and checked everywhere...

Both right and left sides below hammers is engraved with scroll work and the name W. Richards.

Full length rib is engraved(or stamped) the the words " Laminated Steel"

Buttplate is a relief carving of a buck and doe..

Besides the barrel there is a good bit of engraving all around the gun,right down to the screws..

Here are some crappy pics to give ya a idea.. http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=937522&f=0

edit: Man those are some crappy pics.Will try to get better but my system crashes 90% I view a movie,pic or even try to copy/paste..Big hassle..
Old October 19, 2001, 04:50 PM   #2
C.R.Sam

Darn, can say that it is NOT a Westley Richards worth a lot of bucks. Westley Richards probably never used just the initial W. instead of the whole word. A lot of shotguns branded (X). Richards. Many made in England and a few from other countries. I cannot find your crossed torch mark.

Hope somebody comes in and nails it down usin your info. Sorry I can't.

Regardless of worth.....sounds like a cool piece.

Sam
Old October 20, 2001, 07:32 AM   #3
paul lewis

12 gauge

hi my bet is that you have a earlly Westly Richards gun or to check it out more closely there may be a copy cat using W . Richards and as i think about it thats what you have a name sake but it could a good gun as well , note Black power only. paul
Old October 20, 2001, 01:15 PM   #4
Steven Mace

I believe that 'W. Richards' was a trade name used by various Belgian shotgun manufacturers during the last half of the 19th century. This could probably be considered somewhat the equivalent of the Crescent Firearms Company here in the USA. Value in excellent condition probably won't exceed $300. Also, the phrase 'Laminated Steel' describes a high grade version of a Damascus barrel. During the late 1800's Belgium was considered the production center for Damascus barrels. This shotgun should NEVER be fired with todays ammunition and probably should be handled as a 'wallhanger'. Hope this helps.

Steve Mace