The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 7, 2020, 09:40 PM   #26
FrankenMauser

If you're worried about the locking block, order a replacement now (while they're cheap).
But don't change it out. Shoot the pistol and have fun, as is.
Old August 7, 2020, 09:52 PM   #27
Nodak1858

Quote:
If you're worried about the locking block, order a replacement now (while they're cheap).
But don't change it out. Shoot the pistol and have fun, as is.
That's the train of thought I had. If I understand looks like there are two styles. So a guy would have to wait until he gets a look at the one in his pistol correct?
Old August 8, 2020, 03:15 AM   #28
veprdude

whatacountry has the cheapest ones I've found so far for both the old style and updated style.

Please post pics when you get it in and who you got it from. I'm placing an order soon from dkarms for the latest version 1975-76.
Old August 18, 2020, 11:50 AM   #29
Nodak1858

Got mine in this morning, ordered from Atlantic on my C&R. Nice shape, holster wear on the typical spots. No rust, internals have some fuzzys in them but barrel looks new inside, Must not have been shot a whole lot. Only issue is one of the grips are cracked, but should be a quick and easy fix with some super glue. Overall very happy with it. Checked on the barrel block mine appears to be the updated style, so ordering up one of those and some extra magazines. Going to compare the recoil spring with my 92 and see if they are the same, or is does anyone know if they are? I usually try at least to put a new recoil spring in any used pistol I get. Now just need to make some time to hit the range with it.
Old August 25, 2020, 12:26 AM   #30
veprdude

On order. I'll post pics when it comes in.
Old August 28, 2020, 09:48 PM   #31
rock185

No hate of these old guns by me. I've long been aware of the 1951 Berettas, but have no direct experience with them. I have owned a Star model B, a B-Super and a Walther P-1. The Star B was a good gun, a later B-Super soon broke something, seems like it was that swinging take down leaver IIRC, and the Walther P-1 slide promptly cracked in the area of the locking block.

I still think these old guns are interesting, and may be worthy of purchase. But have to admit I've moved on to more modern guns in most cases, that seem to be more robust, ergonomic, with factory and/or aftermarket replacement parts available, etc...
Old August 31, 2020, 04:57 PM   #32
44caliberkid

I like the single stack 9's, like Beretta, Star and the new Tokarevs. The modern compact single stack nines have been very popular, I wish the manufacturers would try a service/ duty size, single stack 9mm with a grip shrunken to fit the cartridge, a 4 to 4.5 inch barrel, and 9 or 10 round capacity on a modern platform/ materials.
Old January 31, 2021, 02:17 PM   #33
Bobdbldr1

Hi folks, I know it has been a few months since this was active! I am from Canada, we have just had a bunch of NOS, Beretta 1951 come in to different dealers, the dealer I got it from received theirs a few months ago and the others within the last month, it is new, still in the plain cardboard box, unfired! I chose the hard plastic grips but they have soft rubber too! Although they said most don't have dates on them mine has 1988. Awesome pistol. I have not fired it as I just got it.
The firing block looks similar to the early ones shown on the DK site but actually a bit different than both. Does anyone know if they redesigned the block in the later years of production? Either way I am glad I bought it, they look fantastic! Price was $425CDN around $333. USD plus tax and shipping.
Cheers Bob

Last edited by Bobdbldr1; January 31, 2021 at 02:53 PM.