The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old April 6, 2019, 02:37 PM   #1
Fnusa

Melting down range lead

At the moment I'm sitting next to pot of range lead waiting for it to melt. I've noticed before that every once in a while, I will get a completely intact jacketed bullet that will squirt lead inside my pot. I'm guessing it builds up pressure until it ruptures somewhere. I'm wondering if anyone has ever had one pop or "explode?" If that's a risk I should probably wear a little extra safety gear...
Old April 6, 2019, 03:04 PM   #2
Pahoo

Wear some protective gear.

Quote:
I'm wondering if anyone has ever had one pop or "explode?" If that's a risk I should probably wear a little extra safety gear..
No sir but we always drill a small hole in these or just throw them away. We do wear protective cotton gloves, face shield, ball cap and cotton apron, for protection. You never know when and how you might get some moisture, in the pot. .……
Old April 6, 2019, 03:13 PM   #3
ms6852

I always separate all the jacketed bullets that appear or seem to be whole and give them a couple of wollops with a hammer. I find that this keeps them from creating pressure when I throw them in the pot and I also make sure they are the first in the pot that way if there is any that does creat pressure there is no lead in the pot to squirt. The addition of protective clothing and accessories is never a bad idea when working around molten lead.
Old April 6, 2019, 03:52 PM   #4
Beagle333

I agree, ms6852, one just cannot be too careful. You're gonna get some lead on you at some point, but hopefully it won't be any more than a warning to be more careful, if you have good protection on.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old April 6, 2019, 06:49 PM   #5
Pahoo

Doing the 2-Step

Quote:
get some lead on you at some point
That's a fact and I once got some splatter between my sock and shoe. Man, did I ever do the Wapsi-River 2-step on that one. !!!!

Be Safe !!!
Old April 6, 2019, 07:28 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

All FMJ or fully plated bullets get squished with linesman's pliers to cut the jacket on the side, or the tip gets cut off entirely.
I have heard of a few popping spectacularly and more lead than expected splattering more violently than expected. But, I've never seen it, personally, from a jacketed or plated bullet (a hail storm, yes, but that's another story). I've always cut the jacket/plating as a precaution.

I also usually give range lead anywhere from 6 months to more than a year to dry before it goes in my pot - which always starts cold for range lead. (Usually more like a year to a year and a half.)

The first time I melted some range lead down, the pile had been sitting in my garage for more than a month, in the middle of summer, and had been mined from a dirt embankment that hadn't seen water in over two months.
I still had sizzling, hissing, and visible steam coming from the pot...

It should have been bone-dry, but there was, I assume, still water trapped inside some jackets. So, I give it plenty of time to dry, now. I haven't had an indications of moisture in the pot since going to the longer drying time.
Old April 6, 2019, 10:20 PM   #7
Chainsaw.

Im with Frank, i snip em with a pair of dikes. Even if its just enough to open the jacket a touch.
Old April 6, 2019, 10:23 PM   #8
TXAZ

Hopefully you don't get an unspent tracer...

Cave illos in guns et backhoes