The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old February 8, 2018, 08:02 PM   #26
Marco Califo

Duplicate post delete

Last edited by Marco Califo; February 8, 2018 at 08:13 PM.
Old February 8, 2018, 08:04 PM   #27
Marco Califo

There are bogus lame (and legal) inspections. Make sure your inspector is legit!

Lead paint is little worry. Just paint over it. That is a time of construction question. I own 3 houses older than me. They are 1928-1950 construction. They have lead paint. Some have 2x4s that are really 2x4!
I disclose the paint hazard to tenants. If it peeled, I already removed it. I did paint with modern paint. Only peeling lead paint is a hazard, all houses painted before around 1970 have lead paint. A top coat of paint remediates the lead paint hazard.
I will tell you that in buying those homes, I paid for several "house inspection reports" that were full of useless hooey, and did not mention the lead paint I already knew was there. But they had nice pictures of cracked windows, and missing light fixtures, etc. And the recommendation was always "consult an expert". If I am paying for it, I expect the inspector to be the expert. Since they were not, and disclaimed liability, I channelled Ray Charles "Hit the Road, Jack".
One ignored an unpermited basement we walked through. If you have ANY reason to suspect anything hire someone qualified to test. I would even look into sending my own samples to a lab (I am thinking a cottonball dipped in isopropyl rubbed on surfaces would pickup whatever). You should always have an contingency clause based on investigations that would let you back out. As I said above, mitigation costs can exceed the property value. So make sure beforehand. Share your concerns with your realtor. I would try to go so far as to request a written answer/disclosure from seller, that could undo the deal if he lies. If he refuses, that means he would be lying.

Last edited by Marco Califo; February 8, 2018 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Spelling/typos