The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 3, 2010, 11:40 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

top break 38's + mild loads of Trailboss, + lead balls = lots of fun...

... finally got my round balls ( I ordered 500 .360 cast round balls from MASSCASTER over at the cast bullet forum )

my "test the gun load" for the 38's were as follows...

new Starline 38 S&W cases
CCI 500 small pistol primers
0.5 cc ( aprox 2.5 grains ) of Trailboss powder
.360" pure lead ball ( weighs aprox 71 grains )
balls seated slightly over 1/2 way, & a light crimp...

I have not crono'd any loads yet, but put all my 38 top breaks through a function test with these loads last night... chamber pressures look about similar as the 32 S&W with 0.9 grains, with some cases sooting, some clean, depending on the gun

one of my favorite guns in 38 right now, is not a top break, it's an old Hopkins & allen solid frame ( likely pre-topbreak ), it's interesting, because it has both a functional folding hammer spur, as well as an early loading gate... looks kinda cool with the old octogon barrel... I won't be shooting this one much, as it's like new, & the loading gate & folding hammer are more fragile than guns without these

I may get used to the S&W lemon squeezers, but found the grip safety slightly distracting, & noticed some muzzle rise ( not noted with the other guns at this load level ), likely, because the S&W is longer than the other guns in the grip frame area...

if the weather isn't bad this weekend, I'll chrony these loads, & load maybe a 2 grain & 3 grain load to look for accuracy... at 2.5 grains, my cases are about 3/4 full with the Trailboss...
Old February 3, 2010, 11:55 AM   #2
zxcvbob

Have you ever tried using 148 grain HBWC's ? Seat them out to 1.24" with half the bullet hanging out the case. Not sure of the powder charge; probably something like 3.6 grains of Unique or 4 grains of Herco. Taper crimp with a 9mm die.

I bought an old S&W 4th model lemon squeezer to try it, but the gun was a POS and badly out of time, so I sent it back. Haven't found another one yet.
Old February 3, 2010, 12:07 PM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

Got some hollow base wadcutters for my 32 H&R magnum... but at least to start with... the balls are easy on the guns... if I decide I have a shooter & want more push, then I go to boolits...

My S&W is a 4th model... & I got really lucky... I ended up with only about $100.00 into it with the old MOP grips, & function was pretty good last night... actually, of the 4 guns I tested, this one & the one I pictured earlier are the most shootable... when these two pictured came, I couldn't believe how good a condition both were... they are both mechanically & cosmetically almost perfect, & both were great G.B. deals...

but I do understand the "buy on line disapointment"... I've gotten a couple that looked much better than they worked... but in all fairness, I got a couple I paid almost nothing for, that were really ugly, yet mechanically are near perfect shooters... ya just never know when buying before handling
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hopkins & Allen top break 38 hammerless.jpg (55.2 KB, 1312 views)
Old February 3, 2010, 01:02 PM   #4
mkl

I've played with my great-grandfather's .32 S&W using 00 buckshot which has a .330" diameter. Low pressure and worked fine. Had a lot of fun.

For a .38 S&W, remember that 000 buckshot has a nominal diameter of .360" and is dead soft lead, as is all 'normal' buckshot.

Don't know if the round balls you ordered were cheaper than buckshot, but just thought I'd mention that buckshot works well with a small wad and a "pinch" of Bullseye powder.

P.S. I'm 65 years old, so that will give you some idea how old my great-grandfather's revolver is.

Last edited by mkl; February 3, 2010 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Added the P.S.
Old February 3, 2010, 05:12 PM   #5
Magnum Wheel Man

I haven't been able to find any 000 buck that measures it's "normal" diameter...

I was looking at the Hornady 000 Buck that Midways lists, but under the comments, 3rd down, the guy says that the shot actually measures .350" rather than .360" like it should ??? so I've been hesitant to commit to a 5lb bag of 000, if it's going to be too small to use... but the Round balls only cost me $20.00 for 500 so at that cost it's hardly worth casting them myself... which BTW... the Lee dies listed in that diameter have been discontinued, so I haven't found a mold yet anyways...

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=748071

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; February 3, 2010 at 05:52 PM.