The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 6, 2009, 02:01 AM   #1
Super Dave

DC Second Amendment March

Million man march is on for spring 2010.

More info here, www.milliongunownermarch.com

Time to head to DC folks.

Dave.

Last edited by Al Norris; February 8, 2009 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Changed Title
Old February 6, 2009, 10:16 AM   #2
Chipperman

Have they set a date? I could not see one.
Old February 6, 2009, 10:25 AM   #3
Dustin0

Sounds good need to get everyone on board.
Old February 6, 2009, 10:49 AM   #4
Bartholomew Roberts

Good idea; but they had better deliver the numbers. If we do something like this and few people show up or the event gets cancelled, the current administration is likely to take it as a sign of weakness and be emboldened.
Old February 6, 2009, 10:50 AM   #5
Super Dave

Dates are pending.

Mods, is possible to make this thread a "sticky"?

Dave.
Old February 6, 2009, 11:38 AM   #6
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

PM sent.
Old February 6, 2009, 11:45 AM   #7
azredhawk44

Good idea!

As this becomes more real, I'll investigate traveling to DC to participate and lend myself to the count. Expensive, but worth it.

Worst case scenario, I'll march at one of the satellite rallies at the AZ state capitol though. I can definitely at least do that much.
Old February 6, 2009, 11:51 AM   #8
Croz

They better deliver the members, and NOTHING bad better happen. If anything happens within 100 miles, it's going to be blamed on guns.

If one person sneezes on another, the media are going to be debating "Does gun ownership encourage the spread of biological weapons?" for a month.
Old February 6, 2009, 12:39 PM   #9
405boy

I will be there.
Old February 8, 2009, 10:20 AM   #10
Super Dave

DC march representative Skip Coryell will be interviewed by Tom Gresham on guntalk radio today.

Dave.
Old February 8, 2009, 11:40 AM   #11
RedneckFur

I think its a great idea! I'm gonna try to get some members of gun club organised to go to this march.
Old February 8, 2009, 12:04 PM   #12
grymster2007

A couple of concerns:

The anti-gun politicians and media will simply say that 299 million Americans didn't march, so the pro-2A crowd is in the minority.

The National Park Service and media may well undercount by half, how ever many show up.

Lot's of women support 2A also and we should stick to calling it the Million "Gun Owner" March rather than "Man" march.
Old February 8, 2009, 12:29 PM   #13
Super Dave

My apologies to all 2A woman involved. When I started this thread I was in a hurry to get the info out. I will check on how to change the thread title to "DC second amendment march".

Dave.
Old February 8, 2009, 01:57 PM   #14
BrunoNorway

I would realy like to be ther for you guys but i cant promis anything yet.

If it is okay with you guys i will repost this link in a Norwegian gun-forum. Maybe ther is more people interested and we could make a trip out of it. Two weeks maybe.

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES
Old February 8, 2009, 06:33 PM   #15
Gary L. Griffiths

Quote:
If it is okay with you guys i will repost this link in a Norwegian gun-forum. Maybe ther is more people interested and we could make a trip out of it. Two weeks maybe.
That would be awesome! I can practically guarantee you'd have a great time, and I'm sure that our folks would treat you to some range time, and perhaps a trip to the National Firearms Museum.
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old February 9, 2009, 05:37 AM   #16
BrunoNorway

I have always wantet to go to the US. Maybe this will be the time to go.

The gun laws in the US is important for Norwegian gun availebility so i hope other Norwegians see the importanse of such a march and join up to suporte us in our couse.

IN HOC SIGNO VINCES
Old February 9, 2009, 11:26 AM   #17
johnwilliamson062

If they get a date out soon I will start to gather some people interested n going.
Old February 9, 2009, 11:59 AM   #18
pax

Quote:
... we should stick to calling it the Million "Gun Owner" March rather than "Man" march.
Absolutely!

And for more than one reason: the "Million Man March" was -- for those who remember -- Louis Farrakhan's big anti-rights rally a few years ago. Be really really stupid to re-use that name, even inadvertently. We don't want to be associated with him in anyone's mind!

Kathy
Old February 9, 2009, 12:14 PM   #19
Kreyzhorse

It's a great idea if they can pull if off with a large number of supporters.

Just an observation, but if they had a million gun owners in DC, it would be the first time normal people could actually feel secure in there.
Old February 9, 2009, 12:32 PM   #20
sholling

As someone once said getting gun owners organized to protect their own rights is like herding cats. For that reason I seriously doubt that they will get 1000 people to actually show up. For most people the problems will be either taking time off of work or affording the trip, and a poor showing will be taken as a sign of weakness. But even if a miracle happened and 1M people showed up - it would never make the news. The press would go into overdrive suppressing news of the event or at the vary least locating the 5 dumbest, most inarticulate, and heavily camouflaged attendees to interview and portray as average gun owners. SOP.

The place to start is state capitals. I know that even at 500 miles away I can find the time and funds to attend a state rally.
Old February 9, 2009, 01:06 PM   #21
grymster2007

Quote:
dumbest, most inarticulate, and heavily camouflaged attendees to interview and portray as average gun owners.
Excellent, I'm gonna get a haircut, maybe whiten my tooth too.

I'm having a lot of doubts about this whole idea. Personally, I probably wouldn't go DC... I just hate that place, but I would go to Sacramento.
Old February 9, 2009, 01:34 PM   #22
Mr. James

Quote:
The press would go into overdrive suppressing news of the event or at the vary least locating the 5 dumbest, most inarticulate, and heavily camouflaged attendees to interview and portray as average gun owners. SOP.
Not to rain on anyone's march, but this is precisely so. Just look at (for?) coverage of the annual March for Life every 22 January. A couple hundred thousand people fill Pennsylvania Avenue from curb to curb, come rain, sleet, or cold, and it gets ignored most studiously. It's hilarious. Especially funny are the tee-vee crews despately staging their shots to make the five cold, lonely counter marchers look like a crowd ("quick, walk back and forth behind this interview, willya??")

But this is a minor point, really. We should march anyway if this thing catches fire. I'm local and will certainly be there, and I'll make sure Bruno gets some range time!

Bob James

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old February 9, 2009, 01:43 PM   #23
Glenn E. Meyer

I appreciate the risk - like when Biden was asked a question about the AWB by a guy doing 'say hello to my little friend schtick'. I was watching with some neutral folks and they thought the questioner was nuts.

If you can't get a lot of folks - don't bother.

Innoculation effect again - make a weak presentation and later strong arguments are discounted.
Old February 9, 2009, 02:00 PM   #24
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think the numbers are enough to get a million guns owners to show up in DC. I'd say that you'd need an average of 1 person for every 10 homes in America. If they can't get those numbers for "civil rights" or Pro-Life rallies I personally doubt we'll get it for gun rights. I'd love to see it, I'd go if I thought (if I think) it's going to work out but I'm not optimistic.
Old February 9, 2009, 04:11 PM   #25
Stevie-Ray

Welp, I've always wanted to see the Wall. Maybe this would be the perfect time to go. I'm definitely going to look into it.