The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 26, 2020, 12:42 PM   #51
ep2621

Red River Tactical

https://rrtholsters.com

I like minimalist kydex and all Red River Tactical holsters I’ve ever purchased have been perfect as far fit and securing the gun and like everyone else, I’ve tried a lot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 67D4F7F1-4E55-49CE-862D-71F2C0540316.jpeg (381.1 KB, 18 views)
When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished by how much he'd learned in seven years. ~Mark Twain
Old July 26, 2020, 02:45 PM   #52
Snuffy308

4F2216DF-8519-4AC8-A48D-872C5B16B154.jpeg

Obligatory pic. Finally figured how to attach it.
Old July 29, 2020, 10:12 AM   #53
jman841

Just got my Vedder Holsters Light Tuck for the P365. Really impressed with it!

It's super comfortable and holds the pistol high enough so I can bend and sit without it digging into my hip crease, plus the claw is very large and presses perfectly against my belt.

Super happy with this holster for IWB carry, A much better design than many other's I've seen thta have the belt clip at the very top of the holster, which causes the holster to ride low and dig into your hip crease.
Old July 29, 2020, 10:39 AM   #54
Ramiaqrabawi

From Concealment Express. This is by far the best holster I've had

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old July 29, 2020, 12:10 PM   #55
Loupgarou

corneileous: The Vedder holsters do not scratch my guns. I also now own a Garrett kydex holster with an inner lining in black leather. I ordered a Bare Arms holster recently and it arrived badly warped. Even the sweat shield was warped. They've promised a refund (?) and informed me that they're going out of business (?). So I can imagine how your experience with kydex might color your own experience. I've carried in kydex for many years here in South Florida and elsewhere so I'm perfectly able to make up my own mind about them. I'm using what I've found to be the best products in that category (Vedder, Tulster, Garrett and several others).

Last edited by Loupgarou; July 30, 2020 at 09:16 AM.
Old July 29, 2020, 01:19 PM   #56
corneileous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loupgarou View Post
corneileous: The Vedder holsters do not scratch my guns. I also now own a Garrett kydex holster with an inner lining in black leather. I ordered a Bare Hand holster recently and it arrived badly warped. Even the sweat shield was warped. They've promised a refund (?) and informed me that they're going out of business (?). So I can imagine how your experience with kydex might color your own experience. I've carried in kydex for many years here in South Florida and elsewhere so I'm perfectly able to make up my own mind about them. I'm using what I've found to be the best products in that category (Vedder, Tulster, Garrett and several others).

That’s good that your holsters don’t scratch your guns but so far out of the Kydex holsters I’ve owned, they badly scratched my Ruger LC9S and even for the short period of using my bare arms holster, it’s put a few light scratches on the slide of my XDE. But then again, I wasn’t aware that there was a Kydex holster out there that came wine with a protective lining that kept from scratching your pistol.

But either way, protective liner or not, I think if I ever have another outside the waistband pancake holster built ever again, I’m gonna spend the money and go with one that’s leather only because leather is a little bit more flexible and comfortable, and there’s really no need for a layer of anything on the inside of one to protect the finish of your pistol.

But that’s too bad that your bare arms; I’m assuming you’re talking about bare arms and not bare hand, holster was warped like that when you got it. Mine showed up in really good shape. It probably wasn’t totally and completely necessary but because of how they molded the plastic around each one of the safety levers on my pistol, they kind of got a little too carried away with molding the plastic around those so after I busted out the hairdryer and reformed the plastic and after that, it felt great. I’m real happy with that holster other than that it’s not very comfortable and that it’s not very forgiving to my gun’s finish. But it works, because I only use that holster in the winter time when I can’t pocket carry in a pair of shorts.

I don’t know though, if any of those other holster brands that you mentioned can make a lot more of a comfortable holster that’s not gonna scratch my gun, I may have to consider those, or I may just do like what I said before and just get me one that’s made out of leather.

But that’s too bad that bare arms is going out of business. It’s kind of funny how it says on their website that it’s all due to COVID-19 but still, for whatever the reason is, that sucks. I only went with them because they were the only holster maker that I could find that could make a holster for my pistol with a laser on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old July 29, 2020, 02:49 PM   #57
AK103K

Every holster wears your guns finsh, no matter what its made of.

If you wear your gun every day, and especially if you have an active lifestyle, you will likely come out a lot better in the long run, with the kydex holsters.

They dont suck up sweat and get, and stay soaking wet, they dont embed abrasives into the holster, just aggravating and accelerating the wear on the gun, and they can be easily cleaned under the kitchen tap, and dried with a paper towel, they dont rub you raw, when your shirt rides up and the holster ends up against your bear skin.

Yes, they do tend to wear your guns finish at specific contact points, but those are often small, and unnoticeable.

Leather, on the other hand, tends to wear the guns finish more overall, because it contacts more of the guns surface. Wet leather doesnt dry out overnight and isnt at all friendly to guns with rust-prone finishes, and even those that might resist it.

My rust issues went away as soon as I switched to kydex holsters.

And one big difference between the two is cost. The kydex holsters last/hold up to hard, daily use, basically forever, and usually at about half the price of a decent leather holster.
Old July 29, 2020, 03:09 PM   #58
9ballbilly

My EDC since December of 2017 has been a Para Ordnance elite commander 1911 .45 acp. Since day one I've carried it OWB in a Tagua 4in1 leather holster.

Occasionally, when I'm out in the weeds I carry my Colt Pocket Positive .32 S&W long in a hunter 1100 series leather belt holster.
Old July 29, 2020, 09:36 PM   #59
corneileous

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K View Post
Every holster wears your guns finsh, no matter what its made of.

If you wear your gun every day, and especially if you have an active lifestyle, you will likely come out a lot better in the long run, with the kydex holsters.

They dont suck up sweat and get, and stay soaking wet, they dont embed abrasives into the holster, just aggravating and accelerating the wear on the gun, and they can be easily cleaned under the kitchen tap, and dried with a paper towel, they dont rub you raw, when your shirt rides up and the holster ends up against your bear skin.

Yes, they do tend to wear your guns finish at specific contact points, but those are often small, and unnoticeable.

Leather, on the other hand, tends to wear the guns finish more overall, because it contacts more of the guns surface. Wet leather doesnt dry out overnight and isnt at all friendly to guns with rust-prone finishes, and even those that might resist it.

My rust issues went away as soon as I switched to kydex holsters.

And one big difference between the two is cost. The kydex holsters last/hold up to hard, daily use, basically forever, and usually at about half the price of a decent leather holster.

I can’t vouch for how well or how bad a leather holster respects a gun’s finish but I’ve heard from quite a few people that use them that say quite the opposite. I dunno myself because even though I do have a few leather holsters, they’ve never really been used to EDC a pistol because the majority of my guns that have been carried on a daily basis had all been carried in kydex holsters.

The Ruger LC9S that I started out carrying, got carried for the longest time in a kydex Alien Gear hybrid holster and then I started carrying it in a Cross Breed Super tuck hybrid kydex holster and between the two of those holsters, the slide got pretty scratched and the finish worn almost completely off. I even had a little bit of rusting on the side of the slide too but I guess that could be due to those holsters being on the inside of my jeans, too.

My Springfield XDE when I first got it, I carried it for about two months straight in an OWB pancake kydex Bare Arms holster and just in that little of time, it’s got a few scratches accumulated but once I quit carrying it that way and started pocket carrying it in a DeSantis Nemesis Ultra-sticky pocket holster, the scratching and blemishing stopped.

I did carry one of my storms for a couple weeks in a leather pancake OWB holster that I got from Beretta that didn’t scratch the finish at all on that gun but I highly doubt that was long enough to even cause any wear.

I dunno, I think the quality of the holster you buy makes a difference, tho. If I decide to move ahead and start carrying my full-size 45 storm on casual occasions, I plan on conceal carrying it in a leather pancake style OWB holster from either Lobo Gun Leather or Tucker Gun leather, don’t know yet.

Old July 30, 2020, 09:15 AM   #60
Loupgarou

AK103K: Precisely. I also consider that the molded fit of a kydex is safer when carrying striker-fired handguns, or hammer-fired for that matter. Easier to prevent pesky intrusions that cause NDs.
Old July 30, 2020, 09:20 AM   #61
corneileous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loupgarou View Post
AK103K: Precisely. I also consider that the molded fit of a kydex is safer when carrying striker-fired handguns, or hammer-fired for that matter. Easier to prevent pesky intrusions that cause NDs.

That, I can see. Cheap leather holsters aren’t good once they wear since they are prone to hanging on the trigger when holstering but I would hope that a good quality holster that didn’t cost 20 bucks or so would greatly reduce that possibility. And I’m not trying to argue but at least with a hammer fired gun, you can ride the hammer on one of those when holstering. You can’t do that with a typical striker fired gun unless of course it’s a glock that has one of them aftermarket striker control device buttons mounted on the backside of the slide that does what pressing against the hammer does.

Old July 30, 2020, 09:55 AM   #62
AK103K

Quote:
Originally Posted by corneileous View Post
I can’t vouch for how well or how bad a leather holster respects a gun’s finish but I’ve heard from quite a few people that use them that say quite the opposite. I dunno myself because even though I do have a few leather holsters, they’ve never really been used to EDC a pistol because the majority of my guns that have been carried on a daily basis had all been carried in kydex holsters.

The Ruger LC9S that I started out carrying, got carried for the longest time in a kydex Alien Gear hybrid holster and then I started carrying it in a Cross Breed Super tuck hybrid kydex holster and between the two of those holsters, the slide got pretty scratched and the finish worn almost completely off. I even had a little bit of rusting on the side of the slide too but I guess that could be due to those holsters being on the inside of my jeans, too.

My Springfield XDE when I first got it, I carried it for about two months straight in an OWB pancake kydex Bare Arms holster and just in that little of time, it’s got a few scratches accumulated but once I quit carrying it that way and started pocket carrying it in a DeSantis Nemesis Ultra-sticky pocket holster, the scratching and blemishing stopped.

I did carry one of my storms for a couple weeks in a leather pancake OWB holster that I got from Beretta that didn’t scratch the finish at all on that gun but I highly doubt that was long enough to even cause any wear.

I dunno, I think the quality of the holster you buy makes a difference, tho. If I decide to move ahead and start carrying my full-size 45 storm on casual occasions, I plan on conceal carrying it in a leather pancake style OWB holster from either Lobo Gun Leather or Tucker Gun leather, don’t know yet.

If you want to see a good representation of what leather does to a handguns finish, just look at the police trade in guns. And thats mostly with OWB holsters, and not the added issues you see with IWB.

What youre seeing there is, constant use, drawing reholstering, and with holsters that are exposed to the elements and all kinds of environments.

Those finshes are usually well worn overall, and worn to bare metal in a number of spots, especially with the older blued guns.

Even things like Glocks usually show a well-worn appearance.

Kydex usually only contacts the gun in a few spots and only really shows wear there. And a lot of times, you really dont see any wear.

This is the Glock Ive been carrying daily for the past 10+ years now. Its been carried in either a Blade-Tech IWB, Ambi Klipt, or a Suarez Gunfighter, all kydex holsters.

If you look close, you can see some minor wear spots on the trigger guard (lock point on the holsters), the extractor, and maybe one or tw smaller spots.

This was the Colt Commander I carried for about the same period of time. It started life out as a nice Colt blue, and was carried in a couple (I had to rotate them in the summer due to sweat) of Galco Royal Guard holsters for the first year. In that first year, the gun rusted heavily due to sweat and had to have the pits polished out and had to be refinished.

What it was refinished, it was hard chromed, and within the next year or so, I switched from the Royal Guards to a kydex Blade-Tech IWB. For the next ten years or so, I carried it daily in that holster. Those black streaks you see, are actually polished chrome and were mirror bright when the pic was taken. If you look closely at the grip and thumb safety, you can see where it was still trying to rust some, although nothing like it had when it was blue.

This is the difference in the holsters....

One months use in the summer with a new Royal Guard. The tape was an attempt to slow the sweat from getting through, but didnt work. That holster was only used about a month, when I switched to the Blade-Tech.

It sat in a holster box for about 10 years and was sold on eBay shortly after that pic was taken. ...

Ten plus years with the Blade-Tech, on the right. The holster on the left was a new holster bought as a spare and never used.

I still have that Blade-Tech holster, and its as functional today, as the day I bought it. $50 over 25 years. Sorta paid for itself.