The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 8, 2015, 02:02 PM   #1
isupportthenra

Identifying Smith and Wesson .38 Special CTG

Hello,
I have a Smith and Wesson .38 special CTG 6 shot revolver that I could use a little help identify the model, when it was made, if the nickeling is original, and correct grips. Any help would be great.

Stamped on top of the barrel
"Smith and Wesson Sprinfield Mass. USA
Patented Feb 6. 06, Sept 14. 09, Dec 29. 14."
Right side of the barrel is stamped "38 S&W SPECIAL CTG"
Left of the barrel is stamped "SMITH & WESSON"

Under the grips on the butt of the gun is stamped "614953" which I believe is the serial number.
When the cylinder is opened, there is the number "29323" inside.

The grips have a different serial number than the gun but are they original to the type of handgun? They look like they fit pretty well.
The mechanics of the gun check out to me. Cylinder is pretty tight and rotates properly.
I picked it up at an auction for about $225 after fees. Any idea of what it may be worth?

Thanks in advance for any help than can be provided.
Pictures coming shortly.
Old January 8, 2015, 02:14 PM   #2
isupportthenra

pictures

Here is a link to the pictures and its a 4" barrel.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wg4ebmyrjs...1%29.jpeg?dl=0
thanks
Old January 8, 2015, 02:28 PM   #3
lamarw

Without pictures, it sounds like a ".38 Military & Police Model 1905 4th Change".

I recently paid about fifty bucks more for one with a serial number about a hundred thousand lower than yours and in about 70% condition. The original grips to mine are a serial number match to the revolver. The serial number is written in pencil inside the right side grip, or at least I seem to recall it being the right grip. I thought I got a good price since the blue book shows a 70% gun at $600.00. Mine is circa. 1927 and has a 5" barrel and regular sights.

Target sights and hammer would make one more valuable if in the same condition.

Picture(s) will help confirm my guestimate.

OK, I now see your picture. I do believe I am correct about the model nomenclature. I am not sure about your grips as an original type since my grips are different, but S&W did change grip designs over the years. These revolvers were made from 1915 to 1942. I would guess from just seeing the one picture, your revolver is in at least 40 to 60% condition with a book value of from $325 to $500. Although, I am no expert at gauging condition and other might know better and disagree.

Yours is a nickel example, and mine is blued.

Last edited by lamarw; January 8, 2015 at 02:40 PM.
Old January 8, 2015, 03:39 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

It is an M&P, as noted above, made about 1931. It looks like the hammer is nickel plated, and if so, the plating is not original as S&W never plated the hammers or triggers. The grips are not original.

Value would be reduced by non-factory plating and by the finish being partly flaked off. If it is functional and in otherwise good condition, the value is around $200 or about what you paid for it.

Jim
Old January 8, 2015, 04:04 PM   #5
crazy charlie

The price you paid sounds good to me unless you intend to re- sell it for a for a profit.
Old January 8, 2015, 05:12 PM   #6
isupportthenra

Thanks guys for the help. I may sell it eventually but probably going to throw it in the safe for the time being. Kind of took a shot bidding on it cause I didn't get to look at it much before bidding but don't think I got hurt too bad.
Thanks again
Old January 8, 2015, 11:49 PM   #7
DPris
Member Emeritus

And so you'll know for future discussion, that CTG is part of the caliber designation, not a model.
Denis
Old January 9, 2015, 02:34 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

CTG is the abbreviation for "cartridge". Using it as a model name is a bit like me saying I own a Ford "UNLEADED FUEL ONLY".

Jim
Old January 9, 2015, 02:57 PM   #9
lamarw

-- or is it a Ford UFO?