The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 3, 2013, 07:14 PM   #26
MMV.30

Picture #7 clearly shows the serial number lining up with the U.S. above it. Very early receivers also had smaller lettering with serifs which this one shows. I think it's legit. I believe your stock with double cross bolts is from 1917 and up.
Old March 4, 2013, 12:16 PM   #27
James K
Member In Memoriam

The other markings were put on with a roll stamp, the receiver being rolled against a cylindrical stamp, but the serial number was put on using a jig and individual number stamps. The workmen charged with that job prided themselves on getting the number centered, so any addition or deletion at either end shows up plainly. One case is that of single heat treat rifles to which someone added a "1" at the front of the serial number to make them easier to sell.

Jim
Old March 5, 2013, 10:08 AM   #28
madcratebuilder

Quote:
One case is that of single heat treat rifles to which someone added a "1" at the front of the serial number to make them easier to sell.
That should be a capital crime!
Old March 5, 2013, 01:29 PM   #29
5THBATT

I'm no expert on '03s but that triggerguard doesn't even look right to me, reminds me more of a M17/P14.
Old March 5, 2013, 11:20 PM   #30
5THBATT

Funny thing....since my last posting, I have picked myself up a 03 Springfield

So here's a comparison pic of a 03 & a P14 trigger guards.
Old March 6, 2013, 03:08 PM   #31
brinker

I would agree with some of your posts, My step dad was in the 3rd wave on Okinawa, during the invasion: and rifle's were everywhere, I was stationed at Torii Station 20 years after the war. and war rellics were all over that Island. It was a great adventure to seek war goodies. Back to Pop's find He kept it and had an Okinawan gunsmith sportize it. Did a beautiful job. and I wanted that rifle, as a boy. He hunted with it for years, until he retired from the service. I always thought he would hand it down to me, but I attended Military school for 3 years. and when I returned home to attend public high school he had sold the 1903. Broke my heart!, But that's life! Anything could have happended to this fellows 1903, I felt the numbers were in question, for that number to survive to WWII. If you look at the entire 1903, as good as you can tell from the photo's and that bolt with that stamp. I purchased a rebuilt bolt from CMP 20 years ago, I just installed it in my 1903,this year. that I paid 30.00 USD for in 1970 in Hawaii. USMC. They never turned in there low number 1903's. rebarrel 12-43 on island. My bolt handle was a sway back and the handle was very corroded, They had cleaned it and reparkerized it. It had gotten so worn, I fired it often, sometimes it would miss a fired shell and failed to eject the spent cartrage. So Put the new bolt in. I have some extra parts, and so do several vet's that also fire the 1903, in my area.So overhauling the bolt will be no big deal! The fellow still has a nice weapon, I hope he treasures it! Be safe and shoot clean Sunny
Old March 6, 2013, 03:23 PM   #32
brinker

P-14

hey 5batt: I missed your post. I have a Enfield P-14. 303, I have been shooting some Pakistan 303 corrosive, 1961/1966 loads. I also have some bandoliers, that are probably corrosive to, I've been washing my barrel with a mixture of dish soap/alcohol/water, dry patch Soaked windex patch,dry patch, and run Hoppies, dry patch, and oil to store.I do this from the action out to the muzzle. Are you shooting 303 corrosive? If you are how are you cleaning your barrel? I just wanted to compare notes. How do you like your 1903? Be safe Shoot clean Sunny
Old March 8, 2013, 12:23 AM   #33
highpower3006

Here is a picture of the markings on a slightly later (1904) receiver. While they are VERY hard to make out, if you look closely at the remnants of the markings on the OP's receiver, his numbers certainly look as though they have the same font and size.

What I don't understand, is why they are so defaced. Unless maybe the rifle was 'liberated" from the government and the US stamps were removed to hide it's previous owner.

Here are the roll marks on a 1906 Springfield. Note the font used for the numbers is the same as the 1904 receiver and the letter font is slightly larger than on the receiver made just a couple years earlier..

And, just for comparison, here are the roll marks on a 1918 Springfield.

Tags
1903 , springfield