The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 25, 2017, 10:08 PM   #1
td922

AR15 has block pin

So I’m looking to build an AR15 and I decided to get the Faxon .750 block and a BCM mid length gas tube. I’m just wondering if the roll pin comes with the gas block or do I have to get that separately.
Old September 25, 2017, 11:48 PM   #2
DubC-Hicks

The gas tube usually comes with the roll pin. I bought a barrel/block combo from Faxon and I don't remember the roll pin coming with it.
Old September 26, 2017, 06:18 AM   #3
Mobuck

You may as well own a "package" of gas tube pins as the loss rate of those is well over 100%.
Old September 26, 2017, 07:06 AM   #4
stagpanther

My experience has been blocks usually don't come with pins (unless otherwise stated)--gas tubes usually do (unless otherwise stated). If it's a combo block and tube it should come with the pin unless the supplier is into "gotcha!" when your putting your build together and find there's no pin.
Old September 26, 2017, 09:44 AM   #5
bfoosh006

I will second the "buy spares"... nothing like losing one of those tiny buggers, and having that hold up your build.
Old September 26, 2017, 09:55 AM   #6
td922

Yea I looked up the price on those and they’re pretty cheap so I’ll pr Badly end up getting extras. I just need a couple more tools like a roll pin punch and then I’ll get started on my first build.
Old October 9, 2017, 08:01 AM   #7
Ibmikey

While you are at it include the two different detents and extra ejector and take down pin springs, firing pin cotter keys, bolt stop plunger and spring, front sight plunger and spring and buffer retainer and spring. Seems the small parts can go “boing” and get lost even if building it in a sterile room.