The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 17, 2017, 04:34 PM   #1
Model12Win

RDO Shotgun?

Anyone rock an RDO on there defensive shotty? hHoughts? Does it beat a bead or ghoster? Thoughts?? Thinking about adding an Aimpoint T1 Micro Red Dot Optic (AT1MRDO)???
Old December 18, 2017, 11:11 AM   #2
stuckinthe60s

whats a shotty?
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old December 18, 2017, 02:03 PM   #3
Bill DeShivs

What's a ghoster?
Old December 18, 2017, 07:23 PM   #4
Model12Win

Some real smart allecs, you all know what I mean!!!

Does anyone operate with an RDO on their tactishotty???
Old December 18, 2017, 09:15 PM   #5
FITASC

No, a simple bead if you must have something will do the job.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 18, 2017, 10:01 PM   #6
Bill DeShivs

I really don't know what an RDO or a ghoster is.
I know what you think a "shotty" is.
Old December 18, 2017, 10:05 PM   #7
FITASC

red dot optic
ghost ring sights
shotty is one letter short of shotgun
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old December 18, 2017, 11:17 PM   #8
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model12Win View Post
Some real smart allecs, you all know what I mean!!!

Does anyone operate with an RDO on their tactishotty???

Call us what you want, but if you are looking for opinions, maybe treat people with respect and talk like a human being. Majority of the forum speaks English... not some hipster version of it with half-ass slang and abbreviations that aren’t common. By the way, most people say RDS (red dot sight) opposed to RDO.

Moving from that, I’m not a fan of red dots on shotguns. I use them on rifles, being the size of the dot can tell a lot about distance (if used correctly). For a shotgun, maybe shooting 50 yards, it doesn’t matter to me. Plus, with patterns, I don’t like a single red dot being my aiming point... which is my preference for red dots. A bead might be similar, but very different being physically there oppose to being reflected onto glass.

Also, and especially with the Micros, I don’t like shooting through a tube. I want to see everything in my field of view, and not be distracted by a tube outline. I’m not really a fan of ghost ring sights, either. Considering I have a pattern of shot coming out of my shotgun, I rather be sure nothing is questionable in regards to being inside that pattern.

The last issue for me being battery/electronics on a shotgun. Having red dots on multiple rifles, if it ever goes down, flip up backup irons and good to go. Most shotguns mounting a red dot will not have that easy transition to irons, because of the usual low plan of those compared to a higher red dot. Best case scenario, yank off the red dot to use the sights. Worst case, using the force. To add to that, definitely be sure to get a Magpul stock if you do a red dot, as cheek weld will be very different between the two. Might not be AK optics over irons, but as much of a difference to matter.

I have rifle sights on my main home defense shotgun, and beads on a rib for the secondary. My TAC-14 came with the single bead, but have a SI barrel with a vent rib on order (will go to Rose Action Sports for swapping out the beads). A single bead, under stress, can be a pain to align. Usually will have the left/right correct, but too much receiver/barrel showing in your sight picture... you are high or low. A rib is a good tool to give some alignment (and if your bead is broken off, still can get you on target), just as is a mid bead. If you look at shotgun sports, you don’t see a ton of red dots on trap/skeet ranges.

The closest to any other option would be Magpul sights on my KSG... which I hate. But I keep them on there because there really isn’t a better option. Could I mount a red dot on that rail? Of course, but then I have a big chunk of optic sitting on top of my shotgun. Possibly why I don’t want a detachable magazine, but the slimness of a tradition shotgun is a big positive that I’m not going to let go that easily.
Old December 19, 2017, 01:10 AM   #9
Model12Win

Thanks, gang!

So a bead works better?
Old December 19, 2017, 11:27 AM   #10
FITASC

Unless you are shooting at stationary targets like a deer or turkey where you are using it more like a rifle and aiming, you point a shotgun with your eyes focused on the moving target. If the gun fits you properly, you should not see any rib.