The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 30, 2020, 07:40 PM   #1
JERRYS.

Glock 21

for the G21 only folks.... what mods if any have to made to the gun from stock?

I have a gen 3 G21 that I might get some factory N/S for, but I really don't feel the need for anything else being done to it. its a good fit for my hands.
Old June 30, 2020, 07:44 PM   #2
Sharkbite

I put in a threaded bbl. That has become my suppressed 45acp gun. I found 1911’s to be pretty finicky with a can on the end. The G21 runs like a sewing machine with a can
Old June 30, 2020, 08:24 PM   #3
HighValleyRanch

I cut my 21c grip down to fit the glock 30 ten round magazines, so it's just about the length of a glock 19, put in a Storm Lake fully supported barrel so that I can shoot .45 super in it. Just need to get a new guide rod and 24 pound recoil spring and I'm all set to go. Oh and also ground the front strap smooth and without finger grooves and the smooth back strap.
Old July 1, 2020, 01:44 AM   #4
DnPRK

Storm Lake supported 45 ACP barrel, 10mm conversion barrel and 10mm magazines
Old July 1, 2020, 10:42 AM   #5
Richard b

Added night sights, 6 inch "hunting barrel" and 21 lb recoil spring. Works fine.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old July 1, 2020, 12:17 PM   #6
mr bolo

Nothing, it's perfection "as is"

I noticed a lot of people feel they need night sights? the factory plastic sights work just fine for regular use / low light
Old July 1, 2020, 12:44 PM   #7
CDW4ME

I added Truglo TFO green front/yellow rear night sights to my Glock 21.
And removed the finger "grooves" (protrusions).
Old July 1, 2020, 05:40 PM   #8
Zzeke

There are zero mods that have to be made to a Glock 21. It's all about personal preference and customization. The gun will run perfectly right out of the box.
Old July 1, 2020, 06:01 PM   #9
1goodshot

I add better sights because my eyes are old.
Old July 1, 2020, 08:12 PM   #10
jmr40

Nite sights years ago, but they've since died. It serves night stand duty now and has a light mounted on it so I never got around to replacing the sites.

I'm really tempted to cut down the grip to accept shorter G30 magazines and still use G21 mags along with a mag sleeve. It is a fairly simple DIY modification with few downsides.

Winston Churchill
Old July 1, 2020, 10:27 PM   #11
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
I'm really tempted to cut down the grip to accept shorter G30 magazines and still use G21 mags along with a mag sleeve
If you cut it down to the grip size of a glock 30, it will be pretty short and unbalance. I did that with a previous glock 20 to 29 conversion.

But I found that if you take a ten round glock 30 magazine and take off the filler sleeve and use a regular flat base plate, then you can cut the grip of the 21 down to a little longer length to fit the modified ten round magazine. (The ten round magazine is longer than the stock 9 round glock 30 magazine and uses a sleeve baseplate to fill the space). Now you have a grip length more like a glock 19 than a glock 30.
Old July 2, 2020, 08:50 AM   #12
9x19

Mine's pretty simple... 3.5lb connector, extended slide release, and tritium sights (all Glock parts).

Glock 21SF

Old July 2, 2020, 09:18 AM   #13
BrthrB

For my Glock 21SF Gen 3, I had the slide milled for an RMR, added suppressor height sights (black rear, front tritium) and added an Overwatch polymer flat trigger.

Eyes that aren't getting any younger, for distances beyond 15 yards, was the reason for the RMR. The Overwatch trigger was testing/evaluation (on my part), which in turn became a permanent fixture.
Old July 2, 2020, 10:54 AM   #14
JDBerg

My Gen4 21 has the large beavertail backstrap on it, but with my big hands, this setup works for me. The wider slide would cut the web of my shooting hand without this add-on backstrap. But other than a Pachmayr Grip Glove, the gun is box stock, which works for this gun.

Last edited by JDBerg; July 4, 2020 at 03:48 PM.
Old July 2, 2020, 06:27 PM   #15
JBB

I always wanted a 21 after watching Justified. I bought a 30SF but traded it because it pinched the crap out of my trigger finger. Should still get a G21 to go with my Gen 5 19 one day.
Old July 2, 2020, 07:52 PM   #16
Gary Gill

I installed a Ghost connector in my 21 gen 3.
Old July 3, 2020, 04:02 PM   #17
smee78

I installed a 3.5lb connector, extended slide release, tritium suppressor sights and a Storm lake threaded barrel. I also had the slide coated and replaced the pins with stainless ones.
Old July 4, 2020, 09:40 PM   #18
Marco Califo

I like stock Glocks and have passed handgun qualification in 3 calibers, with stock Glocks, two of which weren't mine. My G26 with a G19 magazine and sleeve; my G23, which lost a sight, and was replaced with a range rental; and a rented G30.
The quality and interchangeability are pillars of support to LE Armorers.
They don't support many customized 1911s.
But, I was looking for 10mm conversion barrels today, for my new G30, and I can't find any.
When I converted a G23 to 9mm LW Barrel it worked fine with 9mm mags and no other changes. I don't know how easy the 45 to 10mm conversion is, ...but if I can't get one...

Last edited by Marco Califo; July 5, 2020 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Auto-incorrect
Old July 4, 2020, 10:35 PM   #19
Dan-O

Marco,

A stock 29 barrel and 10mm with no other changes works. Think there’s some utube vids showing this.
Old July 4, 2020, 11:59 PM   #20
Marco Califo

You are saying the factory G29 10mm barrel will fit and work in the G30?
Glockmiester.com has G29 standad barrels for $125. Listing says:

"This is the factory Glock 10mm barrel that comes stock in the Glock model 29 and 29SF. Using it to convert the 30 or 30SF to shoot 10mm is not recommended and unsafe as it is not a 100% fit."

Glockmiester.com used to have an interchangeably document, but it is no longer up on their site. I emailed them about that.

Last edited by Marco Califo; July 5, 2020 at 01:31 AM. Reason: add detail.
Old July 5, 2020, 07:22 AM   #21
Dan-O

It worked for me.....but it mangled the bejesus out of the brass. I ended up getting a 10mm slide at some point.

Just because it worked for me, doesn’t mean it will for you.

Thought a guy by Desertscout did a bunch of vids, I can’t seem to put my finger on them now.
Old July 5, 2020, 09:34 AM   #22
COSteve

Of the bunch, I guess you can say I went the most nuts with mine.

In 2004 I found a German blued steel 6" longslide with Bo Mar sights and decided I 'needed' it for my 3rd gen G21. So, with a Jarvis 6" barrel and a set of internal slide parts from Lone Wolf, I made myself a G21 Longslide.

The Jarvis barrel gave superior case support and the 4¾ oz more mass at the muzzle from the longer slide and barrel, coupled with the 28% longer sight radius and great Bo Mar rear sight, gave me a much better aiming pistol. All that together made for an excellent platform that is easy shooting and accurate as heck.

Not content with stopping there, later that year I also asked Kevin at KKM to develop a 45-10MM conversion barrel so I could also shoot 10mm from it with just a barrel and mag swap. Turning it into the world's first G20/21L.

During the development, I found that one only needed the newest .45 Loaded Chamber Indicator (LCI) version extractor to use with the slide as it's 'claw' is canted at an angle giving it a better grip on the smaller dia 10mm case while the original flat extractor (shown in the picture of the pistol above) is vertical and doesn't grip the 10mm case as well.

Over the years I hardchromed the slide, did some custom trigger work, added a FO front sight, and added a magwell for some competitions I used it in. I also bought a 24 lb recoil spring assy so I could swap it out with the 20 lb standard one I used when I wanted to shoot hot 10mm or my newest handload, .45 Super.

I only shoot the lighter weight .45 Super loads through it; 230grn at 1,260fps and 200grn at 1,307fps as you need a comp on your pistol to shoot the heavy weight bullets at high speed so you don't tear it up and I don't want a comp on it.

My G21L will feed anything including some of my old Speer 'Flying Ashtray' handloads shown above with their early HP with a huge hollow that are notoriously hard to chamber in many 45s. BTW, you can see the newer LCI extractor in the picture above clearly showing that the chamber is empty.

So, be it 45acp, 45acp+p or 45 Super, my G21L is ready and waiting to have a go with all of them and with a simple barrel swap and 10mm mags, it becomes my G20L able to shoot all of my 10mm loads including my 'nuclear' 165grn handload producing 1,589fps!!!!!
Old July 5, 2020, 10:18 AM   #23
ballisticxlr

3.5lbs connector that I re-angled to give a nice crisp and consistent 2.5lbs break, aftermarket .45acp barrel, 10mm barrel & slide, 9x25 dillon barrel. It feeds anything I stick in it totally reliably. For all of that it gets carried daily in .45acp configuration and has only seen the other barrels a couple times.

The 9x25 is simply brutal in every way. It's like shooting an AR-15 with a 10 inch barrel and makes huge fireballs. Actually not fun. The 10mm setup is just a G20. Nothing special but full snot 10mm loads are pretty darned stout.

Thought about doing the 460rowland thing for it but decided to build that in a bolt action rifle instead and then to nearly double the working pressures. >2000fps from 230's out of a .45acp case. Totally not handgun safe. Would turn about any handgun into confetti.
Old July 23, 2020, 11:54 PM   #24
Marco Califo

I have a G30. I bought a Glock G29 barrel and a few magazines. It does drop right in, reassembled, and slide action functions fine manually.
I am going to order Starline10mm brass. So have not fired yet.
Old July 24, 2020, 12:47 AM   #25
JDBerg

My Gen4 21 needed the large beavertail backstrap on it to avoid biting the web of my shooting hand. A Pachmayr Grip Glove is the only other change. I still have the stock trigger & sights in this one, I really like the way this gun shoots!