The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 8, 2020, 01:10 PM   #1
willyhart

Help with new 9mm mag adapter for AR build. Doesn't fit!

Hi all. Purchased a 9mm mag well adapter from KAK for my PSA PA-15 Multi lower receiver. It's way too snug. My lower is mil-spec so I wonder if anybody has had problems fitting 9mm adapters that are available out there. I got it in about a third of the way and it's not going in without the hammer and damaging something. Had to punch it back out. KAK says they will accept a return but I'm thinking I could try filing it or sanding it first. I have a needle file set and sandpaper. I would appreciate some guidance trying to sand or file this thing down and what to expect before I go to town on it. It comes apart easily and the metal faces underneath the lip of the feed ramp probably need less than a millimeter taken off. My local gunsmith said they don't want to mess it up and void any warranty so I'm on my own here.

Thought about buying a different one from another seller but all the pictures look the same as the one I have so I feel like I'd be swapping adapters for the same one that doesn't fit. Looks like they're all made by GunTech. I saw Hahn makes one but $200 is kinda ridiculous. Share your experience here please. Thanks

P.S. I've tried a Pro Mag brand adapter and they jam up the feed.
Old June 8, 2020, 01:50 PM   #2
10-96

Did it leave any marks to show where it was hanging up?

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old June 8, 2020, 02:22 PM   #3
willyhart

It's just a bit too long in the front I believe. Also I should've mentioned this before it's a COLT/SMG mag adapter not Glock. Appears to be good clearance for ejector hook rear side with the offset form for bolt catch that runs up the cutout of the magwell. I can see daylight around the sides as well. It's the front face of the adapter that sits flush against the front of the magwell where the feed ramp is housed that I believe needs a little shaving.

The adapter is two pieces held together by allen screws, roll pins inside holding feed ramp and LRHO pieces. I could file or sand those front faces but I've never tried this before and figured someone may have encountered this issue. I don't know how easy it really is to file or sand metal, though I guess it's just aluminum metal.

From the lip of the front of the feed ramp to the edge of the front housing is just a few millimeters. Thinking that I could file or sand those faces flush to the lip of the feed ramp and it would fit a lot easier. Definitely don't want an adpater I have to force in as this defeats the purpose of being able to easily switch calibers back to 556 with another upper
Old June 8, 2020, 02:35 PM   #4
willyhart

Here are a few pics.

You can see the front faces I think I could file or sand down to almost flush with the feed ramp. The top of edge has scratches you can barely see.

From the back you can see the scratch on top left of the offset that happens when I try to shove this puppy in the magwell. (No I did not try to install with the top screw and washer still on it, I put them back on afterwards to keep from losing them)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg resizeIMG_3224.jpg (511.9 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg resizeIMG_3223.jpg (545.1 KB, 56 views)
Old June 8, 2020, 02:39 PM   #5
willyhart

Had to resize the photos, oops.
Old June 8, 2020, 02:51 PM   #6
EEL92fs

You put it in from the top of the lower correct? ("Top" being, take the upper off and drop it in?)
Old June 8, 2020, 03:20 PM   #7
willyhart

It's designed to install from the bottom. Right now I have the the bolt catch uninstalled on my lower so I could try both top and bottom. Just not a good fit.
Old June 10, 2020, 02:42 AM   #8
DnPRK

Do you have another AR-15 lower you could try?
Old June 11, 2020, 06:57 PM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

First of all, return it before you start filing away. It's their problem, not yours.

Second, If they were out of business, I'd smoke fit it. Apply smoke, insert, where the smoke is rubbed off file. Repeat as necessary. But this is only if they were out of business. Don't try this because they'd probably tell you they won't take it back after you filed away on. it.

BTW, those washers look suspicious to me. Are they overlapping the magazine adapter? (But remember, send it back).