The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 29, 2014, 01:28 PM   #1
Bbford92

Buying first gun. Can anyone help?

So I've been looking into buying my first gun. I live in Missouri so it won't be too hard to go out and buy one, the trouble I'm having is that I can't find the gun I'm looking for anywhere.

I'm wanting something like the Uberti Cattleman with the case hardening and blue steel. I'm wanting it in 357 magnum with a 5.5 in, but I can't find it ANYWHERE. I've looked all over online and they're out of stock everywhere and the local stores I've been to don't have it either. I've only found one in the combo I want but it was a 22. All the rest are nickel plated! I'm going to check more stores today, but does anyone have any tips on how I can get ahold of one of these, or something similar?

I'd really like a single action for my first gun.
Old January 29, 2014, 02:39 PM   #2
9mmfan

Bud's has a Cimarron in stock. Made by Uberti, imported and rebranded.

They also have the Evil Roy version, which if I'm not mistaken has been tuned and has a square cut rear sight.

Taylor's is another importer/"brand" of Uberti.

Some models may be made by Pietta, don't know which ones.

I have two of the Uberti made Cimarrons, and like them a good deal. Can't speak as to the Piettas.

Dixie Gun Works sells cartridge guns and specifies which maker.

Transfer fees will make the ordering online more expensive, obviously.

Have you hit any gun shows in your area? I got spoiled when I lived in Dallas, as there were usually a couple fairly close by every month.

Really dig that you are making your first purchase with some style in mind.

Something to keep in mind is that these are clones of 1st generation Colts, and for safety sake should be carried with the hammer resting on an empty chamber.

Remember: half-cock, load a chamber, skip a chamber, load four more. Close the gate, draw the hammer to full-cock, SLOWLY lower the hammer on the empty chamber. If'n you peek between the rear of the cylinder and the frame (be mindful of that muzzle), you can see if you did it right.

Good luck on your search, and enjoy that hogleg that you no doubt will find.

Last edited by 9mmfan; January 29, 2014 at 02:45 PM.
Old January 29, 2014, 03:47 PM   #3
carguychris

A quick search of Gunbroker.com reveals several 5.5" blued Cattlemen (Cattlemans?) for sale.

If you're not familiar with buying on GB or similar websites... an out-of-state seller must send the gun to a Federal Firearms Licensee (FFL) in MO, who then handles the paperwork necessary to transfer it to you. There will typically be a $10-$40 fee for this, in addition to the purchase price and shipping charge. Use the "Find an FFL" link in the left-hand column to find an FFL near you who will provide this service.

+1 to 9mmfan's recommendation to look at a Cimarron; I don't own one, but I've handled several and been VERY impressed.
Old January 29, 2014, 03:57 PM   #4
JNad

You don't say what part of Missouri you are in, but I can give you some great places to work with in the St. Louis area.

You say this is your first gun, so are you trying to put hands on one before buying or ordering one (which is wise)?

The other suggestions for on-line brokers are good ones, but I didn't know if you were trying to put hands on one before purchasing.

Top Gun in Arnold, MO is great, and Mid America Arms in St. Louis is great. I think both of these places could put something very similar in your hand to help you make the decision, and then help you out with ordering one.
Old January 29, 2014, 04:21 PM   #5
Bbford92

Thanks everyone. I did get my hands on one. A cimarron, and really like how it feels. I was really considering buying it on the spot but it's at a dinky little place and priced $100 over retail and I know it's been handled more than I'd be comfortable with paying that much for it.

As far as buying online, I'm considering it but want to research a little more first. The filtering on gunbroker is kind of buggy so I'm having a little difficulty navigating it. Say you filter to only show guns that hold 6 rounds, a few of the cattlemens disappear, even though they are in fact 6 shooters. The same thing happens with barrel length and even caliber. Say I want to only see 357s, it filters out some that ARE 357s.
Old January 29, 2014, 04:38 PM   #6
s3779m

Quote:
Buying first gun. Can anyone help?
Hard to say with this crowd, usually we are shy with opinions.
Old January 29, 2014, 04:44 PM   #7
Dc777

The Internet can sometimes be your best friend

Paintings were made to look at, and guns were made to be shot. If you aren't going to use them as they are intended for, get rid of them and buy a Picasso.
Old January 29, 2014, 05:32 PM   #8
salvadore

s3779m, now that's funny s**t.
Old January 29, 2014, 05:37 PM   #9
Bbford92

It's ok. You don't have to be shy with me. I'm open to opinions. Also I'm in independence/kcmo, so if anyone knows any good shops around here or can help me I'd very much appreciate it.
Old January 29, 2014, 05:54 PM   #10
markm_04

I have noticed that about Bud's also. Not all the information/details are there on all of the guns listed so I am assume thats why it kicks some out on detailed searches. I know of Great Guns in Liberty (right by Rogers) but in my few trips there they seem to be overpriced on alot of their firearms. Also, cant remember the name of the shop but they are out of Lee's Summit. Might be KC Guns or MO Gunworks or something like that but dont quote me on that. I see them at the shows in St. Joseph all the time and they are super nice people and will usually come down in price if you haggle with them a little bit. They usually have one of the best displays and largest set-ups at the shows. I have never been to their shop as I do not spend much time in that lart of KC but they would be close to you and worth looking up.
Old January 29, 2014, 06:26 PM   #11
Jim March

The Ruger New Vaquero is a better gun than anything the Italians make...and Ruger's post-sales service is second to none. Unless of course you modify it beyond all possible sanity and add magazine feeding and a gas-powered auto shell ejector plus 9mm conversion and sight upgrades from hell...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=511297
Old January 29, 2014, 06:55 PM   #12
Crunchy Frog

I'm a cowboy action shooter so obviously I think you're making an excellent choice!

Here's a couple of suggestions. Here's a link to the SASS affiliated cowboy action shooting clubs in Missouri: http://www.sassnet.com/clubs/Clubs_l...state=Missouri Get in touch with the match director of a local club and tell them what you are looking for. I bet you'll get some suggestions on where to shop. There may even be someone in the club with a good used revolver for sale. While you are at it, attend a local match and see how much fun a single action revolver can be!

Also check out Davidson's Gun Genie feature: https://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/ If Davidson's distributes the type of gun you want, you can run a search and find local dealer pricing. You get a lifetime warranty on the gun as well.

I happen to have Ruger New Vaqueros, which are great, but if you prefer the traditional Colt style lockwork, that's fine, just remember to keep an empty chamber under the hammer as described in the previous reply. There are a couple of Uberti and Pietta revolvers that have transfer bar ignition.
Old January 29, 2014, 11:03 PM   #13
9mmfan

I was going to bring up the Ruger, but Bbford92 mentioned color case hardening and bluing.

The stainless Rugers are good looking, but the blued ones that I have seen are more of a matte black.

I know from a practical standpoint form should follow function (i.e. safe for six up), but I am a sucker for the CCH frame and nicely blued barrel and cylinder. Yes I know the Italian CCH isn't the "real deal" charcoal business, but it sure is purty.

Besides, if I was worried 'bout needing more than five rounds, I'd just double up.

As was mentioned, Uberti does have a transfer bar gun now. I believe it's called the Horseman.
Old January 29, 2014, 11:36 PM   #14
Bbford92

Thank you. That is the exact thing keeping me from going the Ruger route. The Ubertis just look so good. Huh. I hope I can get one of these soon. I am considering the modern designed horseman though. I'm guessing it's close to the Rugers as far as modern features go?
Old January 30, 2014, 12:51 AM   #15
Jim March

Quote:
I'm guessing it's close to the Rugers as far as modern features go?
Well if it has a transfer bar it is "drop safe" fully loaded. Most Uberti and Pietta variants emphatically are not.

Rugers are internally more stout than anything from Italy and use better metal. Not by the huge amount we used to see before 1999-2000 when Uberti and Pietta did some shop upgrades...but there's still a difference.
Old January 30, 2014, 01:02 AM   #16
9mmfan

I will defer to Mr. March on this topic for reasons you should look into. Either within the forum or on Google in general, you should look up "Frankenruger."

The man is a mad scientist/genius/crazy engineer. I mean this in a most complimentary fashion.

You simply won't believe it. I especially like the "frowny face" on the end of the ejector rod housing.
Old January 30, 2014, 10:38 AM   #17
Jim March

Quote:
You simply won't believe it. I especially like the "frowny face" on the end of the ejector rod housing.
That's gone, because there is no ejector rod housing anymore. It's been replaced by a gas line that handles the auto-shell-ejection. For a while I was testing gas-ejection in 357 by having both a manual ejector and a separate gas line, but after teh conversion to 9mm and magazine feeding the manual ejector wasn't needed because I don't need to punch the last shell out manually. Once I run the gun dry now, with a dead shell under the hammer, I just swap mags, cock it, that puts the dead shell in the auto-eject slot, live round under the hammer, live round going off gas-ejects the previous dead shell as "normal" for Maurice.

So no manual ejector needed anymore.

I just got access to a machine shop here in Northern Alabama so Maurice is going under the knife one last time...I'm going to do a milled brass magazine well and re-build the muzzle-end gas trap so it looks better. After that it'll be ready to race in Steel Challenge Revolver class (Open!) and see if I can run even with an S&W 627.

Should be peculiar.

Here's the current state of the beast:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=511297
Old January 30, 2014, 04:21 PM   #18
9mmfan

That's the craziest thing, Mr. March. Kudos for getting all that to work.

I might have to borrow the face thing for my own guns, with your blessing of course, as a tribute.

Even if they are only Italian "pasta pistols."

Good luck in the Steel Challenge, and once again I marvel at your ingenuity.
Old January 30, 2014, 04:40 PM   #19
tomrkba

What about a Colt Single Action Army? They have all your required options.

http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/Colt...rmy%C2%AE.aspx

http://www.impactguns.com/colt-singl...ued-p1650.aspx
Old January 30, 2014, 08:03 PM   #20
Crunchy Frog

The Horseman features a transfer bar ignition and a coil mainspring. In that sense it is closer to the Ruger than most clones. Uberti also made the Beretta Stampede revolver with a transfer bar ignition. Not sure how durable those revolvers are. Pietta makes a clone with a transfer bar ignition, too.

Even though I am a Ruger fan I agree that the current blued models have a rather boring finish.

Of course, you could buy a Ruger for its modern rugged insides, and then send it to Doug Turnbull for a true color casehardened finish on the frame and a polish and deep bluing of the barrel and cylinder.

Assuming you have the pocketbook for it!
Old January 31, 2014, 05:43 PM   #21
Cousin Pat

six guns

check out www.taylorsfirearms.com for many choices in 19thC six-guns by Uberti and others.